Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Not as far as I'm aware, why would you? I assume you refer to a gas regulator, presumably a Truma/Gok unit that has failed?

D.

OP
OP
leggings
Apr 10, 2018
Gt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
10 yrs
Yes you are right Dave heating keeps switching off just have to keep switching it back on again. Have had regulator problem before on Truma regulator and suspect that this is the cause now. Just bought a Euronozzle for refill and the company advertise ic12 for injectors cleaning thought this may work on regulator.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never used to be a problem then something changed a few years ago.
Instead of fixing the regulator problem they developed a filter, at a price of course, which apparently doesn't always work either.
. There's quite a few threads on here about failed/gummed up regulators.
Its supposed to help if the reg is mounted as high above the bottle as possible.

OP
OP
leggings
Apr 10, 2018
Gt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
10 yrs
Thought it was something to do with oil in LPG I will have a look for other threads.
Thanks for your advice.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I changed a Truma regulator with the same problem on a van before trading it in and then the Truma reg went 2 days after getting the new van.
So I don't use them now.i currently use a cavagna reg.
Cheers Chris.:cheers:

OP
OP
leggings
Apr 10, 2018
Gt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
10 yrs
There was a problem with the regulator shortly after purchasing the van and had to get it replaced under warranty. Now the heater switches off after it has been on full heat. Thought i’d Try cleaning regulator with injector cleaner. Sounds like Truma need to up their game.
Thanks for your information.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thought it was something to do with oil in LPG I will have a look for other threads.
Thanks for your advice.
Yes, I believe it is but was never a problem on the old truma regs. As I said, instead of fixing the reg problem they masked it with a filter.
Other regs don't appear affected.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'm still on one of these, fitted almost 20 x years ago...........
OARA LPG Regulator.jpg

..............and although it is still going strong, I do have a new regulator on standby, should this one fail. ;) There are no filters in the system that I am aware of, and it is solid pipe all the way from the bulk tank, so no worries about the leaching of oils or residue from rubber hoses.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

P.S. I should have said, that I am unable to source the exact replacement new, so have chosen one of these.
000893AH-700x700.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm still on one of these, fitted almost 20 x years ago...........
View attachment 267827

..............and although it is still going strong, I do have a new regulator on standby, should this one fail. ;) There are no filters in the system that I am aware of, and it is solid pipe all the way from the bulk tank, so no worries about the leaching of oils or residue from rubber hoses.

Cheers,

P.S. I should have said, that I am unable to source the exact replacement new, so have chosen one of these.
000893AH-700x700.jpg
Have you also got the union adaptor for the right hand connection Jock. :whistle:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
There was a problem with the regulator shortly after purchasing the van and had to get it replaced under warranty. Now the heater switches off after it has been on full heat. Thought i’d Try cleaning regulator with injector cleaner. Sounds like Truma need to up their game.
Thanks for your information.
That sounds more like a problem with the heater than a failing regulator. I certainly wouldn't try using any kind of cleaning fluid in a gas regulator, you can't be certain you got it all out and you don't know what it might do it if gets to the burner of an appliance. The oil is present in all lpg, the problem with the regulators is the oil, if it gets into the reg, contaminated the diaphragm causing it to swell. Cleaning the oil out will not fix the swollen diaphragm.

D.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
The Truma problem seems to really affect those with the crash sensor.

Truma recommend fitting a filter. Truma blame the gas suppliers saying there is too much oil/contaminants.

If a known problem ,why don’t Truma supply their regulators with a filter as standard?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Sods law it'll fail when you can get one. :mad:
Agreed John, but a visit with the MH and the regulator, to a respected Auto LPG Converter and Installer near us, proved to be fruitless. :(

@leggings. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. :oops:

Good luck finding the problem. (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you have ever tried to use a blowtorch off a close-to-empty bottle you will understand the so-called oil or low-ends problem. Although gas is drawn off the top of the bottle (which reasonable leads one to believe the oily stuff stays at the bottom) this is not entirely the case. At least some of the oily stuff will vapourise as the pressure in the bottle drops. It burns yellow with a foul-smelling flame and if the flame is played over an object it deposits some sticky liquid. It may be that regulators are damaged by regularly running bottles or tanks to empty.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
if it gets into the reg, contaminated the diaphragm causing it to swell.

Curiosity got the better of me when i was given a failed regulator..
I opened it up and best i could tell is the valve seat on the first stage of the regulator was the culprit... i think it had enlarged causing first a restriction then a total blockage to flow of gas... its not the oil or residue that blocks the jets...
The valve movement is tiny and it wont take a lot of swelling to cause problems..
Couple pictures showing the two chambers of a regulator...
The second one shows the first stage chamber and valve which had blocked.. you can see the liquid deposots lying in the bottom of the chamber.....

20180814_153047.jpg

20180814_142846.jpg

OP
OP
leggings
Apr 10, 2018
Gt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
10 yrs
That sounds more like a problem with the heater than a failing regulator. I certainly wouldn't try using any kind of cleaning fluid in a gas regulator, you can't be certain you got it all out and you don't know what it might do it if gets to the burner of an appliance. The oil is present in all lpg, the problem with the regulators is the oil, if it gets into the reg, contaminated the diaphragm causing it to swell. Cleaning the oil out will not fix the swollen diaphragm.

D.
Thanks for that Dave think,it is good advice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back