Regret and guilt (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
It is with great regret, disbelief and shock I need to tell you that about 10 days ago I had my beautiful, gentle Mastin, Bonita, euthanised.
I had her almost a year before a few months ago she began to attack other dogs.
This first happened wben she was loose and off lead resulting in minor injuries to the other dog.After tbat she was muzzled if and when loose.she hated that. (I tried to ensure that she was only loose in deserted areas).
She was perfect with my other two dogs (her sister,Querida, and my border collie, Lass). They had great fun playing, running and swimming after sticks together. She appeared to be good with dogs she knew.

Anyway to shorten a sad story, after five further attacks, each getting more serious, while she was on the lead attached to my mobility scooter, I reluctantly returned her to the shepherd who bred her. (He had witnessed one of her attacks)
I took her back to his farm in the hills and left her happily running loose amongst his assorted dogs, puppies and grand children.
His wife and family were delighted to have her back and made a great fuss of her.
The following day she was out with the shepherd when he brought the goats to the lake to drink.I was out and didnt see them, but laterfound Bonita waiting patiently in tbe shade outside my house.
I phoned him and tbat evening returned her in tbe car.
Two days later whilst loose on the farm, Bonita attacked one of his terriers, ripping it's throat open.(it lived).
I collected her the following morning and took her on her final car ride..

She was a beautiful, quiet and gentle dog, I don't know what went wrong. I know I loved her. RIP Bonnie.

Attachments

• 20210105_105515.jpg
    20210105_105515.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210702_112926.jpg
    20210702_112926.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 99

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I’m so sorry:cry: you tried everything you could.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Val 3 dogs I'm crying for you 😭😭

A few years ago we had to have a beautiful young healthy rescue dog euthanized because he became aggressive towards people including, once, me. Our families including young grandchildren stopped visiting us. It was the most terrible decision I've ever had to make and I don't think I'll ever not feel guilty. But you know you did the right thing.

Forgive yourself. She was a beautiful dog ❤

Karen xx

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I'm so very sorry to read this Val. I know from other posts of yours that I've seen how much dogs were part of your life and how hard a decision that must have been for you.

I'm relieved that you were able to see the bigger picture and not let your dog be a risk to others. Who knows what was going on in Bonita's head, as much as we love our dogs it's never right to let them be a potential cause of harm.
:cry:
You did the right thing x

RIP Bonnie

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my dad took in a rescue dog with very similar behaviour. He believed that he could cure him, till one day he attacked an elderly neighbour. Speaking to a vet friend soon after, he believed it was something wrong in the dog's brain. He was sweet and loving one minute and snarling the next for no obvious reason, but could go weeks without incident

You of course did the right thing, so please don't feel bad

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Very difficult to-do a sad day for you.
Take care 🍻

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
That's the problem when big dogs "turn" it can be fatal. Yorkies "turn" it's a scratch .
You done the right thing.. tough as it may be. You may have just saved a child from serious injury.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Such a hard decision to make but you did call it correctly.

I doubt there was any other option and that there was possibly a brain tumour or similar.

I feel your loss.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
You have to make hard choices when you have pets, we have suffered the what’s best for the dog situation quite a few times its is a very hard thing to do, whilst you had the dog and everything was ok you have given your dog a good loving home, unfortunately if the dogs behaviour changes you have to act accordingly. Apart from attacking smaller animals there is the possibility that your dog may come off worst and suffer accordingly. Our last three dogs all rescues have suffered strokes of varying degrees and whilst you want to have your pet with you forever you have to act in the best interests of the pet. We are still grieving and we lost our last one over a year ago. But he had a great life, he was a rescue dog as all ours have been with quite a lot of problems at first, how he had been treated remains a mystery but it was over a year before he would eat in the same room as us or lay by our feet. He had a stroke whilst we were in Portugal and we drove straight back to our cottage in France as our vet who is brilliant lives opposite. Having had he seen by a Portuguese vet first. Scans were arranged for the next morning, luckily he had not suffered a bleed and went on for another 15 months until the final day. So I can honestly say we know how you feel but remember the good times, I am sure she is running free in dog heaven with fond memories of her time with you.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
That must have been an awful decision for you to make but, it was probably the only decision you could make. What was in her head? No one knows and she had a good, if short, life with you.

Well done for making the right decision 💜💜💜

Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
Oh this is awful for you, I'm so sorry, but you know deep down it was the right decision. You have enough on your plate right now with grief, please let the guilt go. As always, there is nothing that can be said to relieve your pain, just hug your other dogs and wait for time to help. Sending best wishes to you, she's running free xxx

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
You should not feel guilty, it was the only option. A very brave but correct decision, a selfish person would have put it off and a lot more suffering could have resulted. You did the right thing.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Wow val3dogs you have my greatest sympathy,i will tell you that a few years ago my friends border collie started acting very aggressive ,on odd occasions for no apparent reason she eventually had to take her to the vets, after the dog was put to sleep,it turned out she had a brain tumour,which was unoperable, and was thought to be the reason the dog would suddenly be vicious .im sure you have acted in the most humane way in heartbreaking circumstances,take care best regards pampam

OP
OP
Val 3 dogs
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Thank you all for your kind words, thoughts and support. Thanks also to those of you that have shared personal experiences.
I have lost many pets and been involved with the euthanisation of various species over the years, mostly through old age/ ill health, some as the result of accidents (horses with broken legs and other horrendous injuries), thankfully not all have belonged to me, I just "happen to have been around at tbe time".
I have always felt that no living creature should die alone and if the owners have been unable to be present or been too traumatised to cope emotionally I have always stood in and offered the animal calm love,support and human contact in it's time of need.
I have felt grateful and privileged to be able to do this. Usually once the animal has 'passed' I can move on without feeling too much sorrow, even with my own animals knowing for whatever reason their time had come.
Bonnie has been different.I know in time the grief will be less acute, even now I can visualise her and Querida bounding through the woods playing tag.
She was just such a big, gentle creature, her time came too soon.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Val so sorry you have had to make such a difficult decision your posts always shine through your love of dogs, but you had no choice.
Run free Bonnie.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I’m so sorry to hear that.
You will be upset but it was the right thing to do, she obviously wasn’t happy!
Hug your other dogs as they will be feeling the lose too!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Heartbreaking for you darling, but the right thing to do.

Easy to say don't feel guilty, but it's a human condition. You will never know whether you have saved another dog, dog owner or child from suffering but there is a high posibility. You have been brave in making this decision.

Hurting for you. :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back