Registration to live in either Spain or Portugal? (1 Viewer)

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Just a point about Spain. It can now take up to 2 years perhaps longer before you with get "Residentia" to allow you access to medical, social security etc. Many years ago you just applied without problem and got it, however now they require much more. If you are retiring early it even harder. You must inform them that you have left Spain if over 180 days and give up "Residentia" (many Ex-pats do not do this) but the Tax man in Spain will catch you, as you must pay taxes as a resident.......................
Then there is the driving license which you MUST change if living there more than 180 days. That is not so hard!!! (you need a fixed address - camp site???? I think not!!!), but if your on medical tablets (say for a heart condition) you may have to renew your driving license every year (80 euros medical + cost of appointment).
Personally if your in a MH I would leave well alone as your moving from A to B so classed as "not permanent"
The area that many MH owners fail to check is does your insurance company cover your MH for over 3 months in Europe? many do not cover over 90 days. Lastly it's a mine field....................

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Just a point about Spain. It can now take up to 2 years perhaps longer before you with get "Residentia" to allow you access to medical, social security etc. Many years ago you just applied without problem and got it, however now they require much more. If you are retiring early it even harder. You must inform them that you have left Spain if over 180 days and give up "Residentia" (many Ex-pats do not do this) but the Tax man in Spain will catch you, as you must pay taxes as a resident.......................
Then there is the driving license which you MUST change if living there more than 180 days. That is not so hard!!! (you need a fixed address - camp site???? I think not!!!), but if your on medical tablets (say for a heart condition) you may have to renew your driving license every year (80 euros medical + cost of appointment).
Personally if your in a MH I would leave well alone as your moving from A to B so classed as "not permanent"
The area that many MH owners fail to check is does your insurance company cover your MH for over 3 months in Europe? many do not cover over 90 days. Lastly it's a mine field....................

All the above is correct. But in Andalusia you can - even before retirement age- register as “resident non fiscal “ which means you are a resident that pays your tax in another country. You can then apply for a medical card, which is valid for 12 months and is renewable every 12 months. It is - as far as I know- the only part of Spain that you can do this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Interesting thread as I am considering living in France for 4 months each winter in a static to escape the cold and damp in Britain ,are there any difficulties in French law that would present itself to me .sorry to have hijacked the thread but I think its all pertinent information...thanks in advance ..Roy

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
are there any difficulties in French law that would present itself to me

Assuming that you are a Brit then at the moment no but as to the future who knows?

I am considering living in France for 4 months each winter in a static to escape the cold and damp in Britain

I would not recommend the Lot during the winter - we are off to Portugal for 3 months in January.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
All the above is correct. But in Andalusia you can - even before retirement age- register as “resident non fiscal “ which means you are a resident that pays your tax in another country. You can then apply for a medical card, which is valid for 12 months and is renewable every 12 months. It is - as far as I know- the only part of Spain that you can do this.
You are correct, but you must be resident in Spain, not 6 months in Spain and 6 months in UK.......... you should also be aware that the medical card is only valid for 90 days once you leave Spain, this is Spanish law and the same applies to the Spain EHIC card only 90 days out of Spain (they have this right as stops abuse of the card)

We retired at age of 54 and was a nightmare as the DOWP disowned us and killed our UK EHIC card the day of my phone call to them. The Spanish system did not want to know us as we were not working so we were of no benefit to Spain. When we took part-time work that sorted that, but would not give us medical cover until we could prove we had a income etc etc etc.............. Please think long and hard before you jump.
If we return to UK to work we only have to work for 90 days (you read right 90 days) and we get everything back EHIC, heating allowance after living in UK address for 1 year etc etc etc......... any wonder so many foreigners what to come and live in the UK......... MAKES ME SO MAD.............

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back