Registering motorhome in France (1 Viewer)

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Probably the same as Spain, if that is a more common experience.
i read that there is no duty and VAT to pay on importing (from outside the EU, obviously), provided that you are importing the vehicle within 12 months of becoming resident in France. Rightly or wrongly, this is not my case, I have been resident for 4 years and I am only now importing the vehicle. So is there duty to be paid? And how much? For a new vehicle I read that it is 10% plus 20% VAT. If that applies to me, it would make me think twice. And 10% + 20% on what value? if it is the new price, that would make it impossible, that is more than it is worth.

Does anyone know?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Here it is on a sliding scale. It is 4,1% of the government yearly published value*.
I.e. If less than 1 year old it is 4,1% of the actual cost paid.
up to 2 years old value is 90%
up to 3 years is 80%
all the way down to years 10 & after where it is 10% of the new value.

*They publish yearly values on every type of vehicle sold along with boats, both sail & powered,jet ski's ,planes ,etc; etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Here it is on a sliding scale. It is 4,1% of the government yearly published value*.
I.e. If less than 1 year old it is 4,1% of the actual cost paid.
up to 2 years old value is 90%
up to 3 years is 80%
all the way down to years 10 & after where it is 10% of the new value.

*They publish yearly values on every type of vehicle sold along with boats, both sail & powered,jet ski's ,planes ,etc; etc.
Thanks. Mine is 18 years old and I would not want to pay duty on the new price of a Hymer!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
T

Thanks but it suffers from the same as all the sites I looked at, it only deals with the case where you import within 12 months. I see now why that would have been a sensible thing to do... but where is that dang time machine?
Are you on Facebook ?

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
That’s a shame because there is a group about registering a vehicle in France . I’ll see if there is anything relèvent .
We reregistered our Hobby hère but that was 15 years ago and it cost us around 1000€ and had to go through single vehicle inspection at DRIRE as it was then .
Wouldn’t do it again lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
That’s a shame because there is a group about registering a vehicle in France . I’ll see if there is anything relèvent .
We reregistered our Hobby hère but that was 15 years ago and it cost us around 1000€ and had to go through single vehicle inspection at DRIRE as it was then .
Wouldn’t do it again lol
Well yes, I am reluctant because I do have some experience, I took a car the other way, from France into the U.K., and it was quite a palaver. I can't help but think that in the "quite a palaver" department, the French bureaucracy will probably win hands down.

For example, I had to change the dipped headlights to point the other way. On that car it was a simple lever to move, but I couldn't just do it myself, I had to get a garage to do it and give me a bill for it. Then I had to go to the DVLA office in my nearby town, except that I couldn't just show them my car outside in the car park with the light adjusted; I couldn't just show them the bill from the garage; I had to send the bill off to another government agency, together with a cheque for £70, and they sent back a letter stating that they had seen the garage bill, and then I took that letter to the DVLA.

At my age I am beginning to feel that life is too short for this stuff.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back