Registering a credit card for using toll in Portugal (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
On their website it says you can use a credit card on their easy toll system but when I go to register my card incase we stray on to an elect toll road I cannot see where to register it. I can see where if registered I can alter the registration number is allocated to and cancel it but not to register initially.
The route we're taking today takes us on the IP4 which even though I've set the sat nab to no tolls is taking us on it I've checked online and it is a toll road so don't want to get caught on a toll road with no escape?
Any advice on what to do from anyone that's done it before please?

Deleted User
On their website it says you can use a credit card on their easy toll system but when I go to register my card incase we stray on to an elect toll road I cannot see where to register it. I can see where if registered I can alter the registration number is allocated to and cancel it but not to register initially.
The route we're taking today takes us on the IP4 which even though I've set the sat nab to no tolls is taking us on it I've checked online and it is a toll road so don't want to get caught on a toll road with no escape?

Can't register a credit card online but you can buy prepaid toll tickets in various values linked to your reg. no. and then top up online later if needed.

www.tollcard.pt

Don't forget that you are class 2, height is measured above front axle >1.1 m class 2

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
When we have entered the country there is a tourist layby that has a machine that you place your card into.. the receipt lasts for 30 days.. or you can purchase a card I am told from the post office which lasts for a year but if not used non refundable

There was a website something or other I can't recall the address supposedly 3days after driving through tolls gives you the option to pay online... only the site was not reliable at our time

Kath

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
When we have entered the country there is a tourist layby that has a machine that you place your card into.. the receipt lasts for 30 days.. or you can purchase a card I am told from the post office which lasts for a year but if not used non refundable

There was a website something or other I can't recall the address supposedly 3days after driving through tolls gives you the option to pay online... only the site was not reliable at our time

Kath
We came to braganca yesterday with no sign of a border crossing from Spain so didn't see any tolls. So if we see or need to use a toll road are you saying that there will be a lay-by to enable us to input our credit card or will we have to find a post office to buy a toll card?

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Within 3 kms of the border, Portugal side, there was a huge sign saying Foreigners and pointing to a layby.
Just insert your credit card, out pops a receipt, job done. Did it a month ago.
Phil

Deleted User
We came to braganca yesterday with no sign of a border crossing from Spain so didn't see any tolls. So if we see or need to use a toll road are you saying that there will be a lay-by to enable us to input our credit card or will we have to find a post office to buy a toll card?

The only places to register a credit card are at the few border crossings with the well signposted automatic machines.

A28,A25,A24,A22

Deleted User
I purchased a ticket as I entered Portugal, however, I do not believe that is an option on your entry route. You could easily enter a electronic toll road without having had the opportunity to register a credit card. I believe this site allows you to first check if you owe money and secondly pay it. I have never used it so cannot comment on it so you may well find it is for pre registered users or business users, however, looks very similar to the Dublin M50 system

Deleted User
I purchased a ticket as I entered Portugal, however, I do not believe that is an option on your entry route. You could easily enter a electronic toll road without having had the opportunity to register a credit card. I believe this site allows you to first check if you owe money and secondly pay it. I have never used it so cannot comment on it so you may well find it is for pre registered users or business users, however, looks very similar to the Dublin M50 system

I am not absolutely certain but by the amount of information required I would say that is for Portuguese registered vehicles and Portuguese residents.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
That's what we're worried about , entering one with having pre registered a card. We came in Za 921. From Zamora.
I just checked it is for registered vehicles.

Deleted User
That's what we're worried about , entering one with having pre registered a card. We came in Za 921. From Zamora.

Buy a pre paid tollcard online and apparently, I only learned about this recently, any unpaid tolls due to that reg. no. will be automatically deducted but I would always try and pre pay in case of the very remote chance of being checked before buying the tollcard. It is a very simple procedure, the site has an English version, flag in the top right.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Buy a pre paid tollcard online and apparently, I only learned about this recently, any unpaid tolls due to that reg. no. will be automatically deducted but I would always try and pre pay in case of the very remote chance of being checked before buying the tollcard. It is a very simple procedure, the site has an English version, flag in the top right.
I can't buy online as I have no address to send it to though.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We were in Portugal for 3wks a few weeks ago, didn’t buy a toll as have SatNav to avoid had no problems didn’t register anything....(y)

Deleted User
I am not absolutely certain but by the amount of information required I would say that is for Portuguese registered vehicles and Portuguese residents.
Yes, just checked, Portugal registered cars only, well spotted.

Deleted User
I can't buy online as I have no address to send it to though.

Don't need an address, when buying online you do not get a physical card, it registers automatically and you get confirmation which you can print or save to tablet etc to show if get stopped though the police etc have access to the database to check if you have registered/paid.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Yes, just checked, Portugal registered cars only, well spotted.

hi - just wondered how you checked?
I posted about that site a few days ago (Pagamento de Portagens).
I entered the details required ,including my uk registration,and had a e mail reply to say that there were no tolls owed !
can you explain please ?
thanks

Deleted User
Hi, I based it upon the wording about half way down the attached article, however, now unsure as it appeared to work for you and I did read somewhere along the line that a new systen was being put in place for retrospective collection

Entering your information on that site appears to have worked so you may well have cracked it

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Well we came via the IP4 and it wasn't a toll Rd so that was ok. I read that you can register your card at a few entry points of the toll roads so week see how it goes.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I entered the details required, including my uk registration, and had an email reply to say that there were no tolls owed!

Can you explain please?

I got my people to sort it out for you... :LOL:

JJ :cool:

Jan 30, 2011
west sussex
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
10 year
Just found new toll tag payment device in Uk from Sani from for spain Portugal France,t
Have found toll tag in U.K. From Sanef tolling UK for Spain,Portugal, France,this allows travel on all motorways,using auto payment through barrier without stopping,charged to your bank account,easy set up,always found Portugal a problem to pay tolls,depending were you enter country,we try to use non toll were possible but now have a back up should we find no other route in any of the above countries

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
We registered for the pass at the big layby mentioned earlier.
It took us at least ten minutes and several attempts before it all worked. During the exercise, an Italian MH came alongside and had the same problems, but they did not manage to get it to work. At the same time, another car went through the process, taking several attempts, got as far as having the details accepted, but no acknowledgement. He gave up and set off - and that's when the receipt was printed. We tried to call them back but they couldn't hear us.
So, the take-away here is that we think vehicle positioning during the process was critical.
Who knows? :rolleyes:

Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
I entered Portugal with little pre planning as us moho owners do sometimes and wasn’t advised that the tolls were a problem.
I was quite nervous driving into Portugal solo which is probably why I missed the sign that said “ foreigners” too:)
So to try to extricate myself from this a later bought a ticket from the post office ( I don’t speak Portuguese- they didn’t speak English) and I seem to remember they didn’t take non Portuguese credit cards either so I had to pay with euros.
You then have to register it online which my campsite helped me with
. Any other tolls with attendants I paid cash at after that.
Will it work- I hope so but literally haven’t got a scooby

Also couldn’t figure out the tickets in Lisbon in the metro- they also didn’t take non Portuguese credit cards -and I wasn’t the only person there that day who gave up on it:D And by that point I was with a companion.
Apart from that- Portugal is perfect!

Last edited:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Just found new toll tag payment device in Uk from Sani from for spain Portugal France,t

Have found toll tag in U.K. From Sanef tolling UK for Spain,Portugal, France,this allows travel on all motorways,using auto payment through barrier without stopping,charged to your bank account,easy set up,always found Portugal a problem to pay tolls,depending were you enter country,we try to use non toll were possible but now have a back up should we find no other route in any of the above countries
Beat me to it ...its the most simplest way to go. Roy

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

We got to Braganca last year without using the Toll road.

On leaving, we were heading South West,(can't remember the No). but we were heading towards a Dual that we thought was a Toll Road.

We thought we would get put onto the Toll road but the 'Charging' part of the road was behind us on the dual, ie we entered the dual where the road became 'Free'.
Hope this helps.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We registered for the pass at the big layby mentioned earlier.
It took us at least ten minutes and several attempts before it all worked. During the exercise, an Italian MH came alongside and had the same problems, but they did not manage to get it to work. At the same time, another car went through the process, taking several attempts, got as far as having the details accepted, but no acknowledgement. He gave up and set off - and that's when the receipt was printed. We tried to call them back but they couldn't hear us.
So, the take-away here is that we think vehicle positioning during the process was critical.
Who knows? :rolleyes:
My experience was you have to drive the vehicle right up to the line. It then recognises there is a vehicle there and wakes up. :)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We had no problem it worked very well. But we know of one funster who had a problem with a wrong reg no. I believe it took him about 20 mins to sort out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back