BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Hi all. Whilst we are 'experienced' full timers an issue has arisen re our address.
It was a house we previously rented and subsequently rented by a cousin so there was no problem keeping it! Now however they have moved and it has been sold. I don't want to use a family address for various reasons and have looked into a company called My UK Mail who provide a genuine uk address ( for a reasonable fee) where I can register bank/vehicles etc and who will forward mail to wherever we are at any given time. Seems like a no brainer to me and suits my purpose - just wondered if anyone else has had experience of this or similar companies???
I know I won't be on the electoral role but not in the least worried about that!!!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I read into that and the don't accept courier delivery that's the only problem I found.
My daughter has done it so far.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
will this cover people who live in mobile homes for 11 months of the year. and what about registering for a doctor.

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I guess it will cover anyone - it's just a mail address which is suitable for most purposes. I will register the MH and bank accounts there no problem. That's the only thing we need it for really. We manage everything on line as much as possible but dvla and ins and licence do need a physical address which this service provides!
As for the Dr. we are fortunate that our GP knows what we do and as long as we don't need a home visit we are fine! You can actually visit any GP as you would if on holiday - luckily never needed to!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yes, you can visit any GP.. we did that when Charlotte was ill ., but one of the downsides of not being registered is that you won't get notifications for screening tests, such as bowl cancer, hypertension, Type 2 diabetes, AAA . etc

That said you can still ask for them to be done I guess, just bear them in mind.

Ruth

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
Would a holiday home (on a site thats open all year) count as a permanent address??

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
For most purposes I guess it would - if the site allows mail there.
But for insurance you need to show you live there ie. be on the electoral role etc.
that's a conversation to have with the insurance company I guess. (Unless of course you buy full time insurance - then you only need a c/o address where the mh and your licence is registered.
The service I mentioned above works for all of this with no catch!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Would a holiday home (on a site thats open all year) count as a permanent address??
99.9% of holiday homes have to close each year for at least a week.....Otherwise they are classed as 'residential'.

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Also worth noting - I believe many of the holiday sites require you to have a formal address/residence as what they sell are 'holiday' homes.

I reckon a lot of that is covering themselves - maybe - and like in all things there are probably ways round it - but I have no experience of that yet!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Also worth noting - I believe many of the holiday sites require you to have a formal address/residence as what they sell are 'holiday' homes.

I reckon a lot of that is covering themselves - maybe - and like in all things there are probably ways round it - but I have no experience of that yet!
That's correct, Dave. And, you will find that all your mail, (if they even allow mail), goes to the main office for you to collect.....Where there is a very strong security risk, especially if your getting bank statements etc.

Ruth

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome

Good point, thank you.
I must say I joined this site less than 24 hours ago and have leant alot, your all pretty amazing (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Be aware that on some sites you will have to pay council tax if you don't have a permanent residence elsewhere ... that's if the council allow the site to be used in that way ... a very 'sticky' area and being tightened up on ...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've posted this before so not going to cover old ground again.

We were billed for council tax while living full time in our motorhome on a site in Colchester.. just be aware it can happen if you stay too long in the one place.. keep moving and keep under the radar.

Valuation Office information, caravan pitches and moorings..
for the purposes of the law, a motorhome and caravan are the same.

Broken Link Removed

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I've posted this before so not going to cover old ground again.

We were billed for council tax while living full time in our motorhome on a site in Colchester.. just be aware it can happen if you stay too long in the one place.. keep moving and keep under the radar.

Valuation Office information, caravan pitches and moorings..
for the purposes of the law, a motorhome and caravan are the same.

Broken Link Removed
We had this problem with the narrowboat, Jim. If the boat/caravan is moored/parked on property that pays/is liable to pay council tax, then the boat/caravan cant be charged. British Waterways has hundreds of on-line moorings where peeps live aboard, but they pay not a jot. The other thin of coarse is, if they get stroppy, you just undo the ropes and move on for a while. It seems as though it's only static caravans that get it in the neck.(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Attachments

• caravan caravan tax colchester.jpg
    caravan caravan tax colchester.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 41

pughed2

Free Member
Nov 22, 2014
bristol
Funster No
MH
trigano tribute
Exp
2 years
dave surely you have a friend or relative living in the uk at a regular address who will agree to take your mail, even if you do have to buy them drinks sometime........steve bristol

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I do, several, but prefer to have my 'independence' and privacy, and not lumber others with potential junk mail, parking tickets, or anything resulting in cold calling or the like.
It all goes to the mailing service, they then send it on to an address known only to them, and which can be changed by me anytime with one email(y)
In addition, the mailing service can send my mail wherever I choose, and that can vary, thus negating the need to change all of my details with banks, insurances, DVLA etc. It keeps everything in one place - forever!:)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
The way 'Royal mail' appears to be going we'll all be collecting our own mail soon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back