Regeneration Fault Code (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C A class
Exp
Im a Newbie
I had exactly the same thing happen to ours as Sapper 520. New Pilote A class with Ducato 140bhp 9 speed Auto. We were on our 1st outing last September approx 1000m on the clock. Got the RAC man out, cleared fault, fault came back. Booked in to a Fiat Proff in P,boro. They fitted new DPF sensor, took about 20 mins.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The 2.2 transit engined models have the atomizer (Relay, Boxer?), not sure about the later Fiats. It's a glow plug and injector in the exhaust just upstream of the dpf. It squirts diesel into the exhaust and ignites it to help kick start the regeneration process. the problem is it spends most of it's time doing very little except getting coated in exhaust gases and goo which block the very small injector nozzle. When asked to do something the injector says no way and dash light comes on and limp mode kicks in.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
The 2.2 transit engined models have the atomizer (Relay, Boxer?), not sure about the later Fiats. It's a glow plug and injector in the exhaust just upstream of the dpf. It squirts diesel into the exhaust and ignites it to help kick start the regeneration process. the problem is it spends most of it's time doing very little except getting coated in exhaust gases and goo which block the very small injector nozzle. When asked to do something the injector says no way and dash light comes on and limp mode kicks in.
The 2.2 engine is a Ford unit, Fiat use the 2.3 Iveco engine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Firstly, the DPF doesn't have an injector
Secondly, it's not possible for fuel to enter the oil unless the cylinders are worn to the extreme and even then it would be a very minimal amount which would produce plenty smoke.
Fuel is injected out of cycle during an active regeneration cycle to raise the combustion temperature sufficiently to allow the regeneration to proceed. During that process, unburnt fuel can find its way into the sump. That is one of the parameters that the oil degradation software on current vans calculates in determining the condition of the oil. Modern diesels work on an "acceptable" fuel dilution of around 10% of the engine oil, which is why "long life" oils are not necessarily long life for low mileage vehicles, where active regenerations may be more common than for high mileage vehicles that regenerate passively much of the time.

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Dealer replied this morning. They confirm there are no recalls on my vehicles and confirmed the light will come on should Regeneration not complete.

I just need to see what happens now the fault code has been cleared. (y)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
You can get stuff like this to aid DPF cleaning on short journeys. My RAC friend recommended adding some before we work out the dpf was okay and my issue was the atomiser. It works by reducing the temperature needed to burn off the soot in the DPF.

555770340.jpg

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
My mechanic friend also said it was a ford engine, which surprised me.
My brother's 2018 Citroen PVC with the 2.2 Transit lump has had to be recovered twice now due to blocked atomizer. None of the dpf cleaner things worked for him. The only solution was a new atomizer which is a PITA to change, especially on older vehicles.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
My brother's 2018 Citroen PVC with the 2.2 Transit lump has had to be recovered twice now due to blocked atomizer. None of the dpf cleaner things worked for him. The only solution was a new atomizer which is a PITA to change, especially on older vehicles.

Well, I've done it once. How long until the next one? :rolleyes::oops:

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Well, I've done it once. How long until the next one? :rolleyes::oops:
His lasts about 5k !! - he did a couple of longish trips of 2-3k miles around Europe pre covid between atomizers so not sure how it got contaminated so quickly. If he was pootling around towns most of the time then I could maybe understand it but he was putting 200-300 mile driving shifts in regularly (he's also the suspicious type and checked to make sure they had done the work first time round).
It is possible to remove and replace the atomizer via the battery compartment under the passenger footwell but the small injector pump for the atomizer needs coding by software so not really DIY unless you're very keen. I don't think you can remove the unit without de-pressurizing the pump either :(. On the plus side there are many Transit, Boxer and Relay vans whizzing around with no issues, so may just be a luck thing..

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
His lasts about 5k !! - he did a couple of longish trips of 2-3k miles around Europe pre covid between atomizers so not sure how it got contaminated so quickly. If he was pootling around towns most of the time then I could maybe understand it but he was putting 200-300 mile driving shifts in regularly (he's also the suspicious type and checked to make sure they had done the work first time round).
It is possible to remove and replace the atomizer via the battery compartment under the passenger footwell but the small injector pump for the atomizer needs coding by software so not really DIY unless you're very keen. I don't think you can remove the unit without de-pressurizing the pump either :(. On the plus side there are many Transit, Boxer and Relay vans whizzing around with no issues, so may just be a luck thing..
could it be just dirty fuel in that particular case? otherwise it sounds like the sensor is misaligned so getting sooted up quickly

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
could it be just dirty fuel in that particular case? otherwise it sounds like the sensor is misaligned so getting sooted up quickly
I doubt dirty fuel would be the problem since he filled up at lots of different garages en-route. Any dodgy sensor would probably throw a code but nothing appears on my Foxwell scanner, although it's for the Ford system (it picked up the faulty atomizer code after the limp mode). The van runs perfectly right up to when it decides to throw the EML and go into limp mode.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
get hold of a copy of forscan and a lead, it accesses everything but the immobiliser but can do that too if a genuine garage and pay a small fee

I was thinking more diesel bug or muck in the bottom of the tank than picking up bad diesel at fill ups

rtj49

Free Member
Feb 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
C Class
I use an app called 'DPF Monitor for Fiat and Alfa Romeo' and an ELM327 adapter to monitor regenerations on my Ducato 150. It's means you can see when a regen is in progress and avoid interrupting it. Only done 5000 miles from new in this strange year, so seen about 15 or so active regens go through and actually only had to keep driving the once for a few miles extra to let it finish rather than switching it off mid regen.

By the way, on my Euro6B 150 at least, you don't need to be driving hard or at high revs for an active regeneration to start and complete successfully; it starts when the soot loading reaches 100% no matter where you are and will complete even tootling though town at 30mph or sitting at traffic lights.

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Is that just madness though on behalf of the engine designers? :unsure:

Having to drive extra so you don’t upset the electronics and get warning lights that I’d have to go to a garage to clear........in warranty fine, but have to pay when out of warranty.:oops:

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Light back again. 🤷‍♂️

Picked up the Grandkids after a couple of weeks with their parents, on the journey home the light came on again.

I’ll give the Fiat Dealership a ring on Monday and see how long it will be before they can sort it.:(

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Is that just madness though on behalf of the engine designers? :unsure:

Having to drive extra so you don’t upset the electronics and get warning lights that I’d have to go to a garage to clear........in warranty fine, but have to pay when out of warranty.:oops:
Engine Regeneration, certainly in the truck world, is a service item, not a warranty item, unless it is a faulty warning

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Sounds like the sensor problem they tried resetting mine as it was that common they ran short of sensors, and it kept coming back on until it was changed.

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Sounds like the sensor problem they tried resetting mine as it was that common they ran short of sensors, and it kept coming back on until it was changed.

Had it reset by RAC two weeks ago......lasted 210 miles before it reappeared. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Booked in for Monday 15th March, I’ll update after they’ve had a look at it. (y)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Yep, sounds like Exhaust DPF Differential Pressure Sensor, I had the same problem, when they plugged in the the diagnostic laptop I could see the sensor readings going up and down like the proverbial but the filter was clear. If the pressure is has enough difference from one end to the other it triggers a regen. New sensor no more probs.

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
And the engine warning light came back on again today!

Can’t get it into the dealers until 4th August! :( Luckily no trips planned.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
And the engine warning light came back on again today!

Can’t get it into the dealers until 4th August! :( Luckily no trips planned.
as you had the message " regeneration incomplete" is it possible that you are turning engine off whilst it is regenerating?

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
’Check Engine’. Same as before but wouldn’t Regeneration because of a faulty DPF Sensor. 4th time to the Fiat dealers for faults in under a year, and 4000 miles. 🤷‍♂️

Also got a list of 7 Warranty issues…..still waiting for even one of them to be sorted.:mad:

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
2020 July Fiat Ducato 140 had the light come on, took it to Fiat Hull and it was a simple faulty sensor took 1 hour to do, just driven 500 Miles to Cornwall and it’s fine.
fiat ducato fault code p24d1

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
2020 July Fiat Ducato 140 had the light come on, took it to Fiat Hull and it was a simple faulty sensor took 1 hour to do, just driven 500 Miles to Cornwall and it’s fine.
fiat ducato fault code p24d1
Same Engine size etc, already been done a couple of months ago. Reset the first time by RAC, 200 miles later sensor replaced by Dealer the second time it happened. Can’t guarantee that it’s the DPF sensor again, but had no regenerations for a while. Less than a year old, not a great deal of mileage done. 🤷‍♂️

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back