Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right board to post this, but never mind...

I'm in the process of restoring the interior of a 28yo Peugeot Tabbert motorhome. The units are in fine condition with no rot, but... Some previous owner has covered them all with 'wood effect' vinyl, and not done a very good job. It's all creased and looks rubbish.

So, any ideas of a straigtforward and fairly easy way of making it look good? I'm going to rip off all the vinyl, and already know the doors and units are in fine condition, so it's just a finishing job really.

I'm a bit new to this, and generally more comfortable with electrics and mechanics. Some years ago I refurbed a VW Kombi interior, but simply painted all the units, which kinda suited its 70's look.

The Tabbert needs a better finish I think. So, any ideas?

Thank you.

OP
OP
Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Cheers pappajohn, that looks like good stuff.

Really want to do it myself though, so might give it a go on a couple of panels then get a critical eye (my wife) to tell me if I'm competent. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cheers pappajohn, that looks like good stuff.

Really want to do it myself though, so might give it a go on a couple of panels then get a critical eye (my wife) to tell me if I'm competent. ::bigsmile:

i think the biggest drawback with this stuff is once its on...its on, no second chance to reposition it.

the iron-on my come off again with heat re-applied and a firm but gentle pull but the contact adhesive type wont budge.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Whats the wood like underneath?? Can it be sanded/dipped/sandblasted and revarnished or is well knackered??

I replaced all the interior of an old Chevvy RV a few years ago and it was a hell of a job!!! Unded up replacing all the wall panells with 1/8 ply and staining/varnishing the lot, looked great when it was finished but took about 4 months!!!

OP
OP
Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Well it's just plywood (I think... Showing just how little I know about this stuff) with a very basic finish. Staining/varnishing after stripping the vinyl is possible, and thinking about some of the rounded units maybe that would be preferable.

I'll post some pics...

OP
OP
Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Here we go...

btabb3.jpg

btabb5.jpg

I know the cushion covers look terrible! But luckily a friend of mine is good at all that stuff. Bless her.

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Good Luck Hammerhead....

Let us know how you get on.

Always hated that vinyl stuff preferring to go for the real wood veneer.

A long as it looks right for the period.:thumb:

OP
OP
Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
As long as it looks right for the period.:thumb:

Cheers! But that's the real problem. I don't know how it did look originally. I emailed Tabbert, who still exist, making caravans and motorhomes, asking if they had any sales brochures for these old things. Got a very polite reply but no info at all.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Depends how far you are going with the project...

Looks bright light wood effect from the photos....

If you like the look then why not go for similar Wood Veneer.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back