Refurbished Business Laptops

Discussion in 'Computers' started by JockandRita, May 3, 2018.

1. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +30,384
    Hi everyone. :)

I can't remember who it was, but someone here on FUN recommended buying refurbished business/corporate computers and laptops, and I wondered if there was a particular company which was the best to deal with. The HP Compaq 615 is getting on a bit now, and is really slow at times.

I'd like to stick with HP, and some research has come up with the following examples. Any comments or recommendations please, for either a supplier and/or a particular model. Thanks. :)

http://www.cheaplaptopcompany.co.uk/refurbished-hp8440p-3year?search=HP&page=4

http://www.cheaplaptopcompany.co.uk/hp-8440p-3year?search=HP&page=4 (out of stock)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

2. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +15,611
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +32,203
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. gradyp

gradyp Funster

Ratings:
    +130
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Pete5996

Pete5996 Funster

Ratings:
    +574
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Ratings:
    +3,444
    The name Morgan Computers has been around in the discount/refurbished market for many many years, although I think there has been at least one bankruptcy & the current owners of the brand are not the original founders.

I think it's been a good few years now since their last crisis, but I haven't been paying attention, so you would need to do your own research.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +27,411
    I always buy Dell's now days. Dell outlet usually has some good bargains if you keep checking in over a few days. Not really refurbs so might not be down to the budget you want. But great value and come with a warrantee.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. JockandRita

Ratings:
    +30,384
    @Gromett.
    Hi Karl, I had a bad experience a few years ago with a Dell, but have been fairly happy with my HP Compaq, until now.
    I'm after 4-8Gb RAM, 500Gb-1Tb HDD, 15.6" screen, Windows 10, and HD or FHD.

HP, Leveno, and Dell appear to be the choice of the refurbished business standard Laptops. My budget ideally would be £300 - £350. I did see a nice Leveno @£449, from the link @Pete5996 put up, but the Boss nearly had a fit when she saw the price. :(
    https://microdream.co.uk/lenovo-thi...-dvd-wifi-windows-10-professional-64-bit.html

Thanks Simon, and to all others offering suggestions. (y)
    I'll have a look at Morgan Computers later. I have to pop out.

Cheers,

9. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,549
  10. SandJ

SandJ Funster

Ratings:
    +764
    Jock many years ago but very good when I used to deal with them was Morgan Computers not able to say if still good but they are still going
    https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/
    Good luck
    Steve

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Two on Tour

Two on Tour Funster

Ratings:
    +4,756
    Well as luck would have it, the refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad T420 I bought through Amazon arrived yesterday and I'm well chuffed with it at £150 plus a few quid for delivery.
    I have put another 4gb of second hand memory in it that cost me £15 to get it flying along with 8gb of memory (y), and best of all it's running Windows 7, happy days.

Lenovo T420 advert.jpg

12. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Ratings:
    +7,013
    firsat thing i would ask is do you need a laptop so much can be done on a pad now and you can use a keyboaed with then if thats why you think you need a laptop

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Two on Tour

Two on Tour Funster

Ratings:
    +4,756
    I think it's really a personal choice, in my case I have a smartphone which for me is to small and fiddle to arse around with, and I have tablet which is ok convenient but for me if want to do any serious work like spreadsheets or photo editing then a laptop all the time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. JockandRita

Ratings:
    +30,384
    Steve, @CCC's post below says it all for me, plus, I don't use a smart phone.....................yet. ;)

(y)

Cheers,

15. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Ratings:
    +7,013
    obviously i dont know what you use your laptop for jock i was just pointing out it maybe more than you need, for web browsing emails social media a tablet is more than good enough if your into advanced photo editing video or complex documents then yes a lap top
    you need to get a smart phone first it can replace tab and laptop for a lot of stuff. I'm still working and do invoices quotes billing gas certificate e mail various forms of messaging social media ebay banking all on a mid range phone.like everything it takes a bit of time to get used to

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. JockandRita

Ratings:
    +30,384
    Thanks Steve. :)

I've managed to stay "smart phone free" .....................for now, using my tablet and laptop when on the road, but I do appreciate, I may have to succumb in the end. :LOL: I just find them to be such a distraction. :(

Cheers,

17. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Ratings:
    +2,474
    Hi Jock

I was concerned that my old HP was giving notice so I bought a Lenovo from laptop Outlet (£449 I think) I really wish I hadnt. Windows 8/10 irritates me so much I ve put a classic shell on to get the menu's back, If I let it update itself it does nothing else and when I let it update to 10 MSoffice stopped working, Ive also had to update to office365 which is more complicated than I need and regularly hides things like the on screen calculator etc etc.

Given the time again I would hang on to windows 7 for as long as possible.

Jon

• Like it Like it x 1
  18. JockandRita

Ratings:
    +30,384
    Thanks Jon. Yes, mine was Win7 too, but I gave in to the Win 10 upgrade, just days before the deadline. :(

Cheers,