Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi everyone. :)

I can't remember who it was, but someone here on FUN recommended buying refurbished business/corporate computers and laptops, and I wondered if there was a particular company which was the best to deal with. The HP Compaq 615 is getting on a bit now, and is really slow at times.

I'd like to stick with HP, and some research has come up with the following examples. Any comments or recommendations please, for either a supplier and/or a particular model. Thanks. :)

http://www.cheaplaptopcompany.co.uk/refurbished-hp8440p-3year?search=HP&page=4

(out of stock)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The name Morgan Computers has been around in the discount/refurbished market for many many years, although I think there has been at least one bankruptcy & the current owners of the brand are not the original founders.

I think it's been a good few years now since their last crisis, but I haven't been paying attention, so you would need to do your own research.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I always buy Dell's now days. Dell outlet usually has some good bargains if you keep checking in over a few days. Not really refurbs so might not be down to the budget you want. But great value and come with a warrantee.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
@Gromett.
Hi Karl, I had a bad experience a few years ago with a Dell, but have been fairly happy with my HP Compaq, until now.
I'm after 4-8Gb RAM, 500Gb-1Tb HDD, 15.6" screen, Windows 10, and HD or FHD.

HP, Leveno, and Dell appear to be the choice of the refurbished business standard Laptops. My budget ideally would be £300 - £350. I did see a nice Leveno @£449, from the link @Pete5996 put up, but the Boss nearly had a fit when she saw the price. :(
https://microdream.co.uk/lenovo-thi...-dvd-wifi-windows-10-professional-64-bit.html

The name Morgan Computers has been around in the discount/refurbished market for many many years, although I think there has been at least one bankruptcy & the current owners of the brand are not the original founders.

I think it's been a good few years now since their last crisis, but I haven't been paying attention, so you would need to do your own research.
Thanks Simon, and to all others offering suggestions. (y)
I'll have a look at Morgan Computers later. I have to pop out.

Cheers,

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Hi everyone. :)

I can't remember who it was, but someone here on FUN recommended buying refurbished business/corporate computers and laptops, and I wondered if there was a particular company which was the best to deal with. The HP Compaq 615 is getting on a bit now, and is really slow at times.

I'd like to stick with HP, and some research has come up with the following examples. Any comments or recommendations please, for either a supplier and/or a particular model. Thanks. :)

http://www.cheaplaptopcompany.co.uk/refurbished-hp8440p-3year?search=HP&page=4

(out of stock)

Cheers,

Jock many years ago but very good when I used to deal with them was Morgan Computers not able to say if still good but they are still going
https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/
Good luck
Steve

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Well as luck would have it, the refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad T420 I bought through Amazon arrived yesterday and I'm well chuffed with it at £150 plus a few quid for delivery.
I have put another 4gb of second hand memory in it that cost me £15 to get it flying along with 8gb of memory (y), and best of all it's running Windows 7, happy days.

Lenovo T420 advert.jpg

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
firsat thing i would ask is do you need a laptop so much can be done on a pad now and you can use a keyboaed with then if thats why you think you need a laptop

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
firsat thing i would ask is do you need a laptop so much can be done on a pad now and you can use a keyboaed with then if thats why you think you need a laptop

I think it's really a personal choice, in my case I have a smartphone which for me is to small and fiddle to arse around with, and I have tablet which is ok convenient but for me if want to do any serious work like spreadsheets or photo editing then a laptop all the time.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Steve, @CCC's post below says it all for me, plus, I don't use a smart phone.....................yet. ;)

I think it's really a personal choice, in my case I have a smartphone which for me is to small and fiddle to arse around with, and I have tablet which is ok convenient but for me if want to do any serious work like spreadsheets or photo editing then a laptop all the time.
(y)

Cheers,

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
obviously i dont know what you use your laptop for jock i was just pointing out it maybe more than you need, for web browsing emails social media a tablet is more than good enough if your into advanced photo editing video or complex documents then yes a lap top
you need to get a smart phone first it can replace tab and laptop for a lot of stuff. I'm still working and do invoices quotes billing gas certificate e mail various forms of messaging social media ebay banking all on a mid range phone.like everything it takes a bit of time to get used to

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
obviously i dont know what you use your laptop for jock i was just pointing out it maybe more than you need, for web browsing emails social media a tablet is more than good enough if your into advanced photo editing video or complex documents then yes a lap top
you need to get a smart phone first it can replace tab and laptop for a lot of stuff. I'm still working and do invoices quotes billing gas certificate e mail various forms of messaging social media ebay banking all on a mid range phone.like everything it takes a bit of time to get used to
Thanks Steve. :)

I've managed to stay "smart phone free" .....................for now, using my tablet and laptop when on the road, but I do appreciate, I may have to succumb in the end. :LOL: I just find them to be such a distraction. :(

Cheers,

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi Jock

I was concerned that my old HP was giving notice so I bought a Lenovo from laptop Outlet (£449 I think) I really wish I hadnt. Windows 8/10 irritates me so much I ve put a classic shell on to get the menu's back, If I let it update itself it does nothing else and when I let it update to 10 MSoffice stopped working, Ive also had to update to office365 which is more complicated than I need and regularly hides things like the on screen calculator etc etc.

Given the time again I would hang on to windows 7 for as long as possible.

Jon

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Given the time again I would hang on to windows 7 for as long as possible.
Thanks Jon. Yes, mine was Win7 too, but I gave in to the Win 10 upgrade, just days before the deadline. :(

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back