Reflective Stickers For Mirrors (2 Viewers)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Having plain black Ford driving mirrors that protrude out considerably from our motorhome it seems to be only a matter of time before an oncoming vehicle knocks these as their colour seems to make them invisible! Have seen a few motorhomes with reflective tape stuck to the backs of their mirrors so seems we are not the only ones who think this. Like the idea of white reflective stickers but have only found some small (44mm) ones on the web so wondered what others have found? Need to be flexible stick on ones due to rounded shape of the mirrors. Concerned about how road legal coloured ones would be so will probably go with several of these small white ones but has anyone found any good big weatherproof reflective stickers?

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
"solas" tape from any marine chandlery does the trick.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Broken Link Removed

use silver as it reflects white

warm it with a hair dryer to get it to curve with the mirror

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi, I use this on my Hymer mirrors. It is black in normal light but is reflective white when light shines on it.
Being a3m product it sticks well & is a quality product. It really does work.

Link for you, there are lots on Ebay just brows through.
Broken Link Removed

Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you for all your speedy replies! I was searching through eBay & nothing was quite right. Have decided to go for the Solas tape as it looks like an excellent product & will show up in the day as well as reflect at night. Might be better price elsewhere but bought from here Broken Link Removed if of interest to anyone else:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have some 'white' reflective tape which I've had for yonks so hubby's put that down the edge of the mirrors, and some across them too, with a big silver paw print in the middle of them!

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have already had one beaten off so this advice is very useful, thanks

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I bought self adhesive yellow dayglow from my local " sign man " it was supplied on a 6 inch wide strip about a foot for a around £5 ,
i cut it into about 40 mm strips to enable me to bend it round the curvature of the Transit mirrors ,
i put 3 horizontal strips and one vertical at the bottom of the mirror after being hit by a pickup in morocco ,

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
As a recently retired mariner of 40 years Solas tape would be my first choice, this is fitted to life jackets etc etc and has a proven record in the marine sector nothing reflects light better hence it's use throughout the world.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
To be honest you can put whatever tape you like on your mirrors but if you happen to be in the wrong place @ the wrong time them you can count on loosing a mirror regardless.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are just back from some very narrow roads on the Scottish isles

I noticed most of the HGV's have stainless steel covers that actually stick out even further than the original mirror

Not been aware of such a high proportion in use on 'normal' roads so have made the assumption they help with inevitable impacts on these narrower roadways

Tape may make them visible, but it can look awful even if well applied, covers would be my choice, but risk it is what I actually do, as said earlier tape will not stop it being hit

just my opinion as ever (y)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Not found any covers for Ford Transit mirrors that don't cost more than replacing the mirrors! Just want to make them more visible day & night as too many close shaves for comfort but know it won't protect them in any way if hit. When we towed a caravan oncoming drivers would make way on a narrow road seeing us coming along but they don't bother for our motorhome probably because being low profile it looks like a Transit van but it is quite a bit wider hence the hazard. The solas tape comes in wide strips so should look ok if cut into round edged rectangles with care - could upload a photo once fitted if anyone thinking of doing this but concerned how it will look?

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
I had had similar thoughts about some way of making the offside mirror more visible to other drivers and was thinking that Katie (illustrious leader's daughter of 'Lost Key' fame) might like to make, and sell, 4 to 6 inch reflective yellow 'smiley faces' for us FUN lovers.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
IMG_20140831_170026707.jpg IMG_20140831_170048538.jpg IMG_20140831_170131184.jpg IMG_20140831_170105994.jpg
Solas Tape works really well as it is so reflective - thank you Funsters for recommending this! Bought here Broken Link Removed . Have cut to length & rounded the edge of 4 strips & they now make the side mirrors noticeable day & night(y):) Also cut a small round one for the end of the Fiamma awning so now at night we will look like a lorry to oncoming vehicles! At least our total width will be more evident to others now. All for just over £5 & we have some spare too. Photos are taken with & without flash. If you like this you could cut yours to whatever shape you like - thought about doing Womble shape but a bit too fiddly!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just updating this thread as discussed elsewhere - not bought from these but looks a good price for 1m of 50mm wide Solas tape
Broken Link Removed
Will be adding this to our car mirrors on our new mpv as they are black plastic van style ones that protrude quite a bit too.
Any left over bits would be good stuck on our bikes too :)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Having plain black Ford driving mirrors that protrude out considerably from our motorhome it seems to be only a matter of time before an oncoming vehicle knocks these as their colour seems to make them invisible! Have seen a few motorhomes with reflective tape stuck to the backs of their mirrors so seems we are not the only ones who think this. Like the idea of white reflective stickers but have only found some small (44mm) ones on the web so wondered what others have found? Need to be flexible stick on ones due to rounded shape of the mirrors. Concerned about how road legal coloured ones would be so will probably go with several of these small white ones but has anyone found any good big weatherproof reflective stickers?

You could always try these, however not sure why it states right hand drive only!

http://www.vanstyle.co.uk/van/chrome-mirror-cover-ford-transit-p-320.html

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I had a play with some reflective tapes the other day and to be honest just peeled if off again as I thought it looked jank....

I also share the view that tape will have limited effect as yer average white van man doesn't give a monkeys. The high reflectivity effect will only be seen at night anyway.

I know we can buy protectors but the cost of them (£120) is twice what we can buy a decent quality replacement assembly for. A glass is a tenner and the back section 12 nicker. I would almost feel obliged to break one :D

Its a wee bit like spending 120 quid to protect a mirror or mirrors that cost 60 quid. Mmmmm

I saw these cheap protectors on Ebay. They are a bit gash with the chrome finish but I can spray them easily and wonder if they would give at least some protection ? Anyone used them ?
Link here
Broken Link Removed

I could spray them satin black so they look like the standard mirrors or maybe the same colour as the van body..

I asked above if anyone has a PDF of how the complete mirror assembly goes together ? Anyone have a clue ? It cant be hard but having a PDF or diagram certainly makes the job easier !

Edit.. Just realised these chrome ones are replacement backs not covers... Doh !

Last edited:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I might be wrong here, but I'm almost certain that your limited to orange reflective tape or lights on mirrors. It'd be a pretty twisted cop that'd book you for trying to make your vehicle safer or less likely to suffer damage

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is ours - we have some silver 'paw' stickers plus some reflective tape:

mirror stickers.jpg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi, I use this on my Hymer mirrors. It is black in normal light but is reflective white when light shines on it.
Being a3m product it sticks well & is a quality product. It really does work.

Link for you, there are lots on Ebay just brows through.
Broken Link Removed

Mike
Ok at night but does it stand out in daylight? BUSBY.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Solas tape being silver coloured is visible during the day & reflects like lights at night (y) Just as likely to get mirrors hit during the day as night so for us needs to highlight mirrors at all times.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back