Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Sat here looking out out at the pouring rain and nursing a bill for over £200 for a small plastic cover for a mirror part, I have to ask myself 'why why why do the mirrors on Fiat based, coach built, Motorhomes stick out so far. As you can guess, My Motorhome has been hit by one. Obviously not driven by a Fuster (it was a rental Motorhome), but more of an idiot by the way they were driving. Mind you their mirror was smashed to pieces, mine, just a small, expensive, hole in a bit of trim. So why do they stick out so far, is it to read the rear number plate while traveling along? The mirrors on the 13 metre coach I drive do not stick out from the body work as far as Fiat mirrors. I've never driven a Fiat coach built so cannot comment, but I'm sure someone can help me get over my £200 bill.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Haha, sorry but they are designed to stick out further than the bodywork so you can see down the whole body and not just the door before it gets wider. Be thankful it was the mirror that was damaged and not the body.(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Jeez ! £200 for a Ducato mirror ? What was special about it DA ?
My electronic adjustable heated one was only about £120

As for how far they stick out.. Mine seem about right to be honest.. Perhaps yours are much bigger hence the big price ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Cat's whiskers - if your mirrors will fit through the gap then so will you, with a bit of leeway when it gets really tight. I think of it as an early warning system.

That said, I do carry a couple of spare mirror glass panels in my Fiat after previous breakages.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
2 x Milenco wing mirror guards in white for £62.
I realise the horse has already bolted, but can you not retro fit a pair ? Would that not cover the hole (which you could tape/ seal over ) and then fit it ?
They are held on by a screw clamp bit..

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Reading the OP post I understand him to mean the offending vehicle was the ducato with the extra long wing mirror arms and that the op's mirror was damaged by this. DAteams avatar shows an A class of which I believe the mirrors are quite expensive. As said above, the ducato based coach builds have a narrower cab than the rest of the body, therefore the mirrors arms make up the difference in this in order that you can view down the whole length of the vehicle as required.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Although my PVC mirrors are OE design and don't protrude far, I still find it comforting to have a piece of refective tape on each one. I think it's just enough to bring them to the attention of oncoming traffic instead of the black, lost in the background, normal mirror casing.
I've done exactly the same, the reflective tape really stands out and also adds a little bit of protection.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I use "SOLAS" reflective tape on my mirror backs.
3M™ Scotchlite™ Reflective Material – SOLAS Grade 3150-A flexible sheeting. It has an encapsulated lens optical design that provides high retro reflectivity over a wide range of extreme angles, and performs well in marine applications whether wet or dry.
It is so bright at night that even logging lorries slow down when the see me coming(y)

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This is mine, some foil backed vinyl reflective tape in day glow yellow, stands out well in normal light and glows when hit by a light source.
image.jpeg

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Although my PVC mirrors are OE design and don't protrude far, I still find it comforting to have a piece of refective tape on each one. I think it's just enough to bring them to the attention of oncoming traffic instead of the black, lost in the background, normal mirror casing.

Good idea that is ! I might do the same and place the tape where a knock or scrape would occur ..

Im not sure but I think there are mirror protection covers now availlable for the short arm PVC type mirror ?

Replacement heated glass can be had for £10 and rear black cover for less than £8 so spending a lot on covers which may never come into play could be just for peace of mind ?

How easy or not is it to change just a broken glass ?

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
How easy or not is it to change just a broken glass ?

I think that might depend on the design of the mirror but for most basic flat mirrors it's very easy to buy and fit a stick-on replacement that literally sticks on top of the broken glass - a fiver for my Rav4 replacement.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I think that might depend on the design of the mirror but for most basic flat mirrors it's very easy to buy and fit a stick-on replacement that literally sticks on top of the broken glass - a fiver for my Rav4 replacement.

I was thinking more along the lines of replacing the actual glass rather than sticking one over the top. The stick on one would get us out of the tom tit though !

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
After my tractor incident 2 years ago, I fitted a short van version to the drivers side, with only limited loss of vision, not as good as before, but still OK and a lot further in, I don't know if you would get away with a short one on the N/S though.

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
truckware.co.uk 01212438021

Repair-Sheets-300x180.jpg

Broken Link Removed
High Tear-Resistant Curtain Repair Tape 300 x 200mm Sheets

Product Code: WI7300300

Price: £6.25(Excl. VAT at 20%)

Quantity:

Choose a Colour

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Does anyone have a PDF or schematic diagram of the mirror assembly Please ?

I would like to be able to see exactly how these things come apart and go together if possible.

I see there are now covers for the short arm mirrors as fitted to the Panel Van Conversions. They appear to be expensive and other than maybe saving the day while away I cant see the point in investing in them. Well not at that price anyway.

There are some Chrome covers on Ebay for around £20. The chrome IMO would look crap but I would buy a pair and spray them satin black as I have spray facilities in the workshop.

Any feed back on these cheap covers very welcome !

Judge its easily possible to buy replacement glass and casings of Ebay UK rather than messing around with the German site..

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Jeez ! £200 for a Ducato mirror ? What was special about it DA ?
My electronic adjustable heated one was only about £120

As for how far they stick out.. Mine seem about right to be honest.. Perhaps yours are much bigger hence the big price ??

My Mercedes mirrors are a pain...... Not only sticking out a long way but having indicating bulbs with opaque covers, and in the actual mirrors are the light up sensors to tell you if you are getting too close to anything..... They also are a pain to push in being very stiff...... Expensive.... YES....(y)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My Mercedes mirrors are a pain...... Not only sticking out a long way but having indicating bulbs with opaque covers, and in the actual mirrors are the light up sensors to tell you if you are getting too close to anything..... They also are a pain to push in being very stiff...... Expensive.... YES....(y)

Our mirrors have indicators built in as well........ No sensors to tell us if we are to close cos we are poor and have a paupers van....:(

OP
OP
The DATeam

The DATeam

Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for all the reply's. Puts my mined at rest now. When I see a Fiat Ducato coming towards us with yellow reflective tape on the mirrors we'll know it's Funsters, and you'll get an extra big wave. Now on to the subject of praying mantis mirrors, have been told that they are £1200 to replace if damaged on a Rapido. Again, I know they're dear on my coach, and pretty useless, but my coach cost a quarter of a million pounds (a cheap one at that). Does a motorhome justify £1200 mirrors?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks for all the reply's. Puts my mined at rest now. When I see a Fiat Ducato coming towards us with yellow reflective tape on the mirrors we'll know it's Funsters, and you'll get an extra big wave. Now on to the subject of praying mantis mirrors, have been told that they are £1200 to replace if damaged on a Rapido. Again, I know they're dear on my coach, and pretty useless, but my coach cost a quarter of a million pounds (a cheap one at that). Does a motorhome justify £1200 mirrors?
1200 for one or both mirrors ? They must a s low volume production item so that will mean expensive ... I suppose that's what insurance is for .

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Sat here looking out out at the pouring rain and nursing a bill for over £200 for a small plastic cover for a mirror part, I have to ask myself 'why why why do the mirrors on Fiat based, coach built, Motorhomes stick out so far. As you can guess, My Motorhome has been hit by one. Obviously not driven by a Fuster (it was a rental Motorhome), but more of an idiot by the way they were driving. Mind you their mirror was smashed to pieces, mine, just a small, expensive, hole in a bit of trim. So why do they stick out so far, is it to read the rear number plate while traveling along? The mirrors on the 13 metre coach I drive do not stick out from the body work as far as Fiat mirrors. I've never driven a Fiat coach built so cannot comment, but I'm sure someone can help me get over my £200 bill.
have to say a complete fiat heated long stalk mirror is much less than £200 on fleabay!! http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=111262055014&alt=web
I keep a spare onside one (that I repaired from the last French white van man twat) in the boot, won't bother with protectors I will just replace the whole unit.

Some dealer had somebodies pants down on here for replacing one mirror for £1000,+ a while ago. Very simple job just a bit of facia some screws (replace with the new fiat specified bolts) and electrical connectors.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back