Refilling Bottles at LPG/Auto Gas stations - OK or not? (2 Viewers)

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
Ok it seems I was wrong so I won't be doing it after all, I'll have to wait for the safefill to arrive. Nowhere in the ad did it say it was illegal, they even show a table of the safe filling amounts. My MIL uses a bottle for her gas hob so we gave her our spare when hers ran out.
Incidentally why have calor shut all their depots? Every stockist they tell you to go too say they aren't getting deliveries anymore. Their bottles are obsolete now you can't exchange them, and they won't refund your deposit unless you can provide a 15 year old receipt. (That's how long I've had one).

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Incidentally why have calor shut all their depots? Every stockist they tell you to go too say they aren't getting deliveries anymore. Their bottles are obsolete now you can't exchange them, and they won't refund your deposit unless you can provide a 15 year old receipt. (That's how long I've had one).
Calor don't have lots of depots of their own but plenty of stockists are shown on the Calor website, although when I've visited 'stockists' many only have BBQ and patio gas cylinders (B&Q, garden centres etc.........).

1646680675547.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Their bottles are obsolete now you can't exchange them, and they won't refund your deposit unless you can provide a 15 year old receipt. (That's how long I've had one).
I think they have a sliding scale of refunds as long as you show the receipt.which are probably worthless . For 15 yrs I would expect you would get zero refunds anyway.,there was someone I recall tried to get a refund after 5 years because they had gone to refillable and they couldn't get a refund even with legit 5 yr old reciepts.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
The problem comes when you try to refill a cylinder which might not be empty, that would be why Calor purge theirs first. No forecourt has the facility to weigh the bottle so you cant tell how full it is until the filler cuts off( is that 100%? Then the temperature changes and hence the pressure in the bottle changes, thats why they need to 20% underfill)
Amazing images of burning BP gas fibreglass cylinders compared to exploding metal ones.
We got turned away once in Italy " we are technologically trained"shouted the assistant and refused to fill our refiilables. We just drove on until we found a station that did allow refilling. Thats where I learnt to leave the external filler adaptor screwed in so it looks like you are filling a car!
Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fork truck bottles also have a cutoff float which is why they are positioned a certain way
Fork truck bottles are laid sideways for safety and because the engine uses liquid gas, not vapour.
A regular bottle doesn't have a dip tube in the bottle so vapour is released.
A propulsion bottle does have a dip tube so draws liquid gas from the lowest point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
I am at Castleton CMC and unexpectedly ran out of LPG. Think forgot to turn off gas at last site and fridge running of gas when we were not hooked up. Site warden advised that Manchester might be the best option for my Safefill bottle but that many Manchester Morrisons won't let you fill up. He also added that there was also shortage of Calor gas bottles in the area.

Anyway eventually arrived at Morrisons Denton, Manchester and had no trouble in filling the Safefill. Thank goodness as I would have been in trouble with Management.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back