Refillable LPG Replacements - Safefill (1 Viewer)

Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline B690
Exp
Since July 2020
we currently have 2 x 6kg refillable bottles (gasit & gaslow) in our motorhome which I would like to swap out.
my question is can these be easily swapped out for 2 x safefill bottles? i have looked around but am unable to find an answer.
any comments/advice appreciated.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just be aware that safefill do not connect by an external fill point. So you need to connect the filler direct to each bottle.
If your doing it for weight saving, have a look at LPG shop in Leicester ( web search) they have some same as safefill but with the connections like gaslo.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
With the appropriate hose tails a simple job.

But can i ask why you want to remove the refillable bottles

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why are you wanting to replace them? Is it because the Safefill ones are larger? If so then I'd just go for the equivalent Gaslow or Gasit ones instead as it will save messing about with the existing hoses etc and also you won't run the risk of being refused filling as Safefill are still regarded as 'not fixed' by many places due to each being filled directly rather than through a filler (unless of course using an external filler is an option).

You could of course just replace one for a larger Gaslow/Gasit cylinder and keep the other smaller one as a back-up as most people won't need more than that.

OP
OP
MrDean
Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline B690
Exp
Since July 2020
Just be aware that safefill do not connect by an external fill point. So you need to connect the filler direct to each bottle.
If your doing it for weight saving, have a look at LPG shop in Leicester ( web search) they have some same as safefill but with the connections like gaslo.
thanks, looks like they have just what i need.

OP
OP
MrDean
Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline B690
Exp
Since July 2020
With the appropriate hose tails a simple job.

But can i ask why you want to remove the refillable bottles
i want to give the motorhome a steady weight loss. replacing both bottles will give me a 7-8kg saving. an alternative is an underslung tank transferring most of the weight to the rear.

OP
OP
MrDean
Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline B690
Exp
Since July 2020
Why are you wanting to replace them? Is it because the Safefill ones are larger? If so then I'd just go for the equivalent Gaslow or Gasit ones instead as it will save messing about with the existing hoses etc and also you won't run the risk of being refused filling as Safefill are still regarded as 'not fixed' by many places due to each being filled directly rather than through a filler (unless of course using an external filler is an option).

You could of course just replace one for a larger Gaslow/Gasit cylinder and keep the other smaller one as a back-up as most people won't need more than that.
a steady weight loss for the front end. the 3 x 110ah gel batteries are next on the list for a single 110ah lithium.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
a steady weight loss for the front end. the 3 x 110ah gel batteries are next on the list for a single 110ah lithium.
It unusual for people to need to reduce the weight at the front end and move it to the rear, normally it's the other way round.

OP
OP
MrDean
Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline B690
Exp
Since July 2020
It unusual for people to need to reduce the weight at the front end and move it to the rear, normally it's the other way round.
a class hymers are unique and front heavy

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We have just changed to 2x11kg Safefill with a view of if we can’t get our van to a garage with lpg we can just pop them in a car and get them filled,
If I want to fill at a garage that only allows filling through a body mounted filler that is also possible with the correct fittings ie 2x pol fittings 1x T piece coupled to van filling point. So all aspects covered.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If you have 7 kg bottles ,just make sure that the safefill ones will fit your locker. (y)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I'm going to be cheeky now... what will be the fate of the bottles when you swap them? I might be in the market for buying some in the not too distant future.

OP
OP
MrDean
Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline B690
Exp
Since July 2020
I'm going to be cheeky now... what will be the fate of the bottles when you swap them? I might be in the market for buying some in the not too distant future.
i will ping you when i get back and have it sorted (prob aug/sep)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back