Refillable Gas (1 Viewer)

Sep 30, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift 612
Exp
I’m a newbie
We are planning to go down through France to Spain March/ April is refillable gas the best way to go as I understand I won’t be able to exchange my Calor bottles

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
You might think it a good idea for anyone to buy an adaptor and fill their own exchange bottles but i dont and neither do a lot of other people it is asking for trouble

It’s a lot safer than several of the diy refillable systems I have had to put right this summer :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
It’s a lot safer than several of the diy refillable systems I have had to put right this summer :xThumb:
Yeah says a lot for your skills encouraging people to buy an adaptor and fill yourself

Everyone to their own but dont start preaching gospel - oh sorry do as i say not what i do

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
I recently fitted gaslow bottles to our bailey 750 and ran the filler hose down through one of the gas locker breather ducts to the filler which is fitted below the skirt just behind the mudlap.
That way it looks like we have an underslung tank when we are filling
The heavy hose lies on the ground when filling
And most people don’t even realise the (black) filler cap is there.
We did it for convience rather than cost savings purely because we are off to france,spain,italy and greece next year.
We have three filler adapters.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
We used to decant R134 refrigerant gas by connecting the full and empty bottles together with a high presssure hose then inverting the full one above the empty one.
(We used to evacuate the empty one first)
That was the approved way to do it.
Presumably it would work with LPG
But I wouldn’t do it myself unless it was a serious emergency (like freezing to death if I didn’t do it !)

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
Just bought the Gasit system 2 x 6 kg bottle kit with external fill point will post up some photos once I have it fitted, we are off to Spain in February for 5 weeks so thought it easier to get gas from a fuel station.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We used to decant R134 refrigerant gas by connecting the full and empty bottles together with a high presssure hose then inverting the full one above the empty one.
(We used to evacuate the empty one first)
That was the approved way to do it.
Presumably it would work with LPG
But I wouldn’t do it myself unless it was a serious emergency (like freezing to death if I didn’t do it !)

Yes it does, we've seen quite a few French doing it - although you wouldn't get me near it!

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I'm intending to drive down through France to Spain and Portugal. At the moment I have 2 x 6KG Calorlite bottles in my locker. Any bigger will not fit in.
I was thinking I could just buy a spanish bottle when I got there, but have been told that you can't get Repsol or anything else in that small a bottle. Is that correct?
Any suggestions what to do instead, please?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
I think camping gaz (or its local equivalent) is available everywhere pretty much in europe.
???

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
Ah ok
Only used it (or copies of it) in Greece where it is between €8.50 and €10 a bottle.
And not when its particularly cold either !
(May to October !)
Getting hold of an empty in the various countries without paying through the nose will be the problem I guess.
Which is why we have fitted Gaslow bottles.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
I think there is a lot of local decanting into the camping gas type bottles goes on on the Greek islands too , judging by the corrosion on some of the bottles on offer (due to principally being used on boats)
To get a non rusty one you sometimes have to offer an extra euro or two.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
The repsol website (in Spanish) suggests that the don’t sell propane (propano) in bottles (bombanos) smaller than 11kg
They sell butane (butano) in 6kg which is ok down to 0c
It’s described as equivalent to camping gas
The regulators are different though I think ?

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I'm intending to drive down through France to Spain and Portugal. At the moment I have 2 x 6KG Calorlite bottles in my locker. Any bigger will not fit in.
I was thinking I could just buy a spanish bottle when I got there, but have been told that you can't get Repsol or anything else in that small a bottle. Is that correct?
Any suggestions what to do instead, please?

Check your locker size, and refillable bottle size.
Part of the reason I changed to refillable was due to the fact I could only have a pair of 6kg bottles of calor gas in my locker, no room for the bigger bottles, BUT what I worked out was that I could have a pair of 11kg bottles in the same locker. So I swapped. Max was 12, now 22 in the same locker.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I wouldn't be able to lift 11KG bottles out for refilling, even if they did fit in, which I doubt. The lid only just fits on as it is, with the 6KG ones in it.
Looks like I'm stuck with Campingaz then, thanks. Presume that is easy to find there, same as France?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
Gregano gas 11kg (similar to repsol in Spain) are 30cm diameter and 54.9 cm high.
According to their website
Fortunately pretty much all the relevant words in Spanish are very similar to english
Butano
Propano
Bombano (bottle) as oppose to bottella (as in beer bottle etc)
Dimensiones
Dimensions
Etc
Portuguese is written like spanish and shares many words but sounds like Russian !

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
You could buy a gaslow direct fill adaptor to fill a refillable cylinder cheaply the part is under £20 or buy a new 6kg direct fill gaslow with pol to 21.8 propane adaptor for a propane regulator for about £150 new delivered if trying to keep cost down and you could get a lot of money back if you sold it on ebay afterwards.

Filling wise you would have the same problems that others do with in-locker filling

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I wouldn't be able to fill it in the locker as it is midships, under the bed. It would have to be lifted out for filling. Assuming I could lift it - that's why I use Calorlite at the moment.

Would that be a problem? I have heard that garages won't let you fill bottles?

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
What i suggested would allow a bottle to be lifted out provided you use a refillable bottle and garage allows it to be filled you could always take paperwork to prove it has 80% cutoff but it could still be refused - cost wise and residual value it would probably be on par or maybe cheaper than faffing with exchange bottles

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I wouldn't be able to fill it in the locker as it is midships, under the bed. It would have to be lifted out for filling. Assuming I could lift it - that's why I use Calorlite at the moment.

Would that be a problem? I have heard that garages won't let you fill bottles?
Can you not measure distance between a known point and where you actually want it might be cheaper than you think even with a fixed filler point cost out a few 6kg exchange bottles and then work price on refillable at 60p a litre works out at under £7 a fill but you have to fill everytime opportunity arises abroad 6kg bottle only lasts me 4 days in winter with heating

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I know how long gas hoses are on UK forecourts - they definitely wouldn't reach into the locker. I don't want to go cutting holes in the side of the van for a filling point or install a proper refillable system as it would be very expensive and I know (as I drive an LPG/Petrol car) how difficult it can be to get "loose" LPG in the UK without driving miles out of my way.

You must be lucky to find gas at 60p a litre, round here it's over 70p a litre. 74.9 the last lot I bought.

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I know how long gas hoses are on UK forecourts - they definitely wouldn't reach into the locker. I don't want to go cutting holes in the side of the van for a filling point or install a proper refillable system as it would be very expensive and I know (as I drive an LPG/Petrol car) how difficult it can be to get "loose" LPG in the UK without driving miles out of my way.

You must be lucky to find gas at 60p a litre, round here it's over 70p a litre. 74.9 the last lot I bought.
If you have an exterior bbq gas point you could probably use that with a regulator if not you will probably give yourself a lot of grief and problems.

You are restricted on size and worried about weight of bottle if you have to buy foreign bottle and a regulator it will cost you and it could turn into a total nightmare and you will have no option but to put up with it.

And at morrisons here it is under 60p a ltr

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
You are very lucky, Wyn. Our town doesn't have any suppliers of "loose" gas. The only option is the Shell garage, 4 miles out of town.
MF - There isn't an exterior BBQ point. Like Wyn, you are lucky to have a nearby LPG source. Neither our Morrisons nor the one at Shrewsbury sell gas.
It looks like I have no choice other than to go with the expensive option of Campingaz. (I already have a bottle and pigtail for that).
Thank you all for your help.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You are very lucky, Wyn. Our town doesn't have any suppliers of "loose" gas. .
Nor does ours. But we have a motorhome and that moves. We just pick some up on our travels wherever we are in Europe or the UK. We have a couple of apps which tell us where the nearest ones are, FillLPG for use in the UK and myLPG for the rest of Europe.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It looks like I have no choice other than to go with the expensive option of Campingaz. (I already have a bottle and pigtail for that).
Not sure for how long you are going and where, but this could end up costing you as much as, if not more than, the cost of a professionally fitted refillable system.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You are very lucky, Wyn. Our town doesn't have any suppliers of "loose" gas. The only option is the Shell garage, 4 miles out of town.
MF - There isn't an exterior BBQ point. Like Wyn, you are lucky to have a nearby LPG source. Neither our Morrisons nor the one at Shrewsbury sell gas.
Autogas in Shropshire:

Link Removed

Reactions: XYL
Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.

Surely, travelling 4 miles for gas isn't an issue? Especially in view of the substantial cost saving with a refillable gas system.
I have to drive 3 miles to the next village for petrol and diesel.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back