Refillable Gas system (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2016
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato PVC
Exp
im a newbie
I have been looking at Gas it's refillable system with a view to purchasing but is it really necessary given that the heating runs off Diesel? As I see it the only things that will use gas are the Hob, Grill & the Fridge when not on EHU.

At the moment we have 1x 6Kg bottle (non refillable) & space for another bottle (11KG would fit) would a refillable system be overkill?

We only plan on UK touring for the foreseeable.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes I think it would be overkill with diesel heating. When was the last time you changed a bottle over, how long did it last, how much do you use the van?

OP
OP
Bepto
Jul 29, 2016
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato PVC
Exp
im a newbie
It's our 1st MH & haven't been out in it yet. Just planning for future use at the moment. We can't use it until Mr's Oxygen Concentrator for travel is sorted as she suffers from COPD. That in itself is going to open a whole new can of worms re our Electrical system no doubt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
There is no need to go to the expense of refillable with the space you have and not needing it for heating. If you can put in 2 bottles, then once you have stopped over when one empty, you know you have plenty of time to get another full one.
It seems like you need to concentrate more on electric power.
I hope you get things arranged and you can go off and enjoy your MH.
I'm sure I have read a post from another funster who needs the machine for COPD. Why not post another thread with that in title?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
As far as i know diesel heating isn't very common, does that also do your hot water?

If gas does your hot water heating it might tip the balance back in favour of refillables, if you also have an option for gas heating definitely tipped back, but if all heating water and space is via the diesel tank then spend the money on something else you possibly only might need :)(y)

a solar panel and inverter might be a better spend (y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
also depends where you intend going as its easier to carry adapters for refills rather than having to get different bottles and regulators when abroad, but for long term camping in one place bottles are easier to change without moving the van

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Is ehu expensive where you go? We're running the fridge on LPG at the minute saves us about €20 a month.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
How many times do you change the large gas bottle? Every refill of a Gas it bottle will save you somewhere in the region of £20 or more and you haven’t got to cart it around when it needs filling.

Oct 25, 2014
N.E . Scotland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 717 GA
Exp
Since 2015
In our Chausson(with the Truma diesel heating) we have an 11kg flogas cylinder that lasts the full season for us and that's around 65 nights with around 30 being off grid ,

Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
In our Chausson(with the Truma diesel heating) we have an 11kg flogas cylinder that lasts the full season for us and that's around 65 nights with around 30 being off grid ,

Same for us in our Chausson - have gaslow fitted more for convenience than need!

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Suggest you start using as it is for a while, and whether you need refillables or not will probably be pretty obvious.

I'm almost certain the answer will be no.

Andrew

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I would fit LPG anyway, just for the convenience. I don't miss faffing about changing gas cylinders, even if it was only once a year.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When you next need a refill get a larger Calor cylinder (if they'll just swap it!) as this works out a lot cheaper than sticking to the smaller one for the equivalent gas usage. Then see if you can pick up a second larger Calor cylinder cheaply (car boot sale, Gumtree etc) and once exchanged for a full one you'll have enough gas to last you a whole season I suspect - if one runs out you can just turn on the other and exchange the empty one at your leisure ... that way you also don't waste gas by giving it back to the shop in the 'nearly' empty cylinder which tends to happen when you only have one.

If you want to go down the refillable route then keep your eyes open for second hand kit (check the 'use by dates') as this will be a much cheaper way to get it, you could easily keep one larger Calor and use one refillable.

Personally from what you've said you don't appear to have a high demand for gas so worth trying my first suggestion and seeing how you get on.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Recently installed refillable bottles (just before the discount offers :swear2:) Local to me is a supplier whose pump price is 45p per litre. That worked out around £7-8 for filling of one completely empty bottle plus one partially empty bottle. Compare that with almost £50 for two Calor bottles. Consider that Calor are buying it for less than they are and :Eeek:

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back