Refillable gas one bottle or two (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm looking to fit refillable gas system, my locker has space for two 11kg bottles
Will be touring Europe for a year from January, is it best to fit two 11kg refillable or to just fit one and carry an ordinary bottle aswell.
I probably know the answer to this as I'm aware every country has different bottles and where cost of fill up is pretty low I'm just worried incase I'm not thinking of possible problems so what is the general consensus 1 or 2?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You've answered your own question. The only place you are likely to tour where you cannot refill is Morocco, and there are easy work-rounds for that. Changing bottles/adaptors each time you cross a border seems a complete waste of time, effort and money to me.
Refillable every time - wish I had room for two big bottles, have to make do with smaller but we manage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yeah I had pretty much decided on two bottles, but then I had read a few threads about low pressure and dirty gas etc that made me think I may have been missing potential problems

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Yeah I had pretty much decided on two bottles, but then I had read a few threads about low pressure and dirty gas etc that made me think I may have been missing potential problems
same gas goes in the garage pumps as goes into bottles or the big gas tanks at houses .
spain is usually cheaper to exchange spanosh bottles than fill at garages . like every thing depends where your going .
in portugal there are places well almost every big gas bottle filling plant will fill any bottle .
can you adapt your gas locker and make it carry 13/15 kg or 19 kg bottles .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
same gas goes in the garage pumps as goes into bottles or the big gas tanks at houses .
spain is usually cheaper to exchange spanosh bottles than fill at garages . like every thing depends where your going .
in portugal there are places well almost every big gas bottle filling plant will fill any bottle .
can you adapt your gas locker and make it carry 13/15 kg or 19 kg bottles .
Innitially Spain and Portugal, then probably south France and Italy later in the year, 11kg are the largest it will take, I've priced up a full kit from gasit with external filler etc for around £340 for the pair of 11kg bottles

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We have for the past 3 years used one fitted as whenever we fill up with fuel we top up the gas as well. Never had a problem with two of us. Also you need to think of weight carrying 2 x full gas bottles

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We have for the past 3 years used one fitted as whenever we fill up with fuel we top up the gas as well. Never had a problem with two of us. Also you need to think of weight carrying 2 x full gas bottles
The size of my van and payload weights not much of an issue for me thankfully.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Go for two mate, I have gaslow and not had a problem over winter for 3mths in France Spain and Portugal..

Gasit is just as good....(y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have two 11kg bottles and could probably cope with just one, however the gauges are stupendously inaccurate so it is quite possible to run out on one bottle without expecting it. The second one is a comfort.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As you are going to be full-time for a year it makes sense to go for 2 x 11kg refillables as during the colder months, regardless of where you are, you WILL use quite a bit of gas just for heating.

Also shop around for your kit, sometimes the kit is cheaper from other companies than direct from the most obvious suppliers and you can mix and match kit from different makes, it can save you quite a lot of dosh! doing this. I'd also suggest looking at fitting the smaller 'square' filler rather than the large round one, much easier to install and works just as well.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
As you are going to be full-time for a year it makes sense to go for 2 x 11kg refillables as during the colder months, regardless of where you are, you WILL use quite a bit of gas just for heating.

Also shop around for your kit, sometimes the kit is cheaper from other companies than direct from the most obvious suppliers and you can mix and match kit from different makes, it can save you quite a lot of dosh! doing this. I'd also suggest looking at fitting the smaller 'square' filler rather than the large round one, much easier to install and works just as well.
The cheapest kit I've found so far is from gasit who are based in Bristol I believe, their kit for two 11kg bottles hoses and external white filler is £335 and £12 postage, same price for the internal filler but have heard a few folk say that sometimes the internal filler raises eyebrows when filling up

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we had an unexpected bonus when ours was swapped to refillables a couple of years ago, I opted for manual changeover which still then uses the thumb wheel fitting we used on our calor bottles. So we can carry a spare calor bottle secured in garage as total back up, or in your case could have got away with one refillable, then swapped to a calor until refilled. just a small risk that both bottles could end up empty at same time but very small risk

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
we had an unexpected bonus when ours was swapped to refillables a couple of years ago, I opted for manual changeover which still then uses the thumb wheel fitting we used on our calor bottles. So we can carry a spare calor bottle secured in garage as total back up, or in your case could have got away with one refillable, then swapped to a calor until refilled. just a small risk that both bottles could end up empty at same time but very small risk
Yeah I'm not going for the auto changeover prefer the manual, don't think I'd ever run out of both so the twin kit should be fine I'd imagine

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The cheapest kit I've found so far is from gasit who are based in Bristol I believe, their kit for two 11kg bottles hoses and external white filler is £335 and £12 postage, same price for the internal filler but have heard a few folk say that sometimes the internal filler raises eyebrows when filling up
Getgas do it too:

twin 11kg system

I can't remember who I bought some of my recent bits from but I signed up for their newsletter and got a discount voucher to use ... worth a try!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yeah I'm not going for the auto changeover prefer the manual, don't think I'd ever run out of both so the twin kit should be fine I'd imagine
We have auto changeover with the C remote so we know from inside the van when bottles have changed over.
Definitely go for twin bottles, we like to fill up where we know it's 95-100% propane don't want to come back home and have butane in the tanks for winter.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Getgas do it too:

twin 11kg system

I can't remember who I bought some of my recent bits from but I signed up for their newsletter and got a discount voucher to use ... worth a try!
Yeah getgas is the same company they sell the kit on eBay

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back