Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Autogas2000 in thirsk.
They keep everything in stock, and you can stay overnight ad well.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
I fitted the refillable gas system in my previous Moho, as it was a pretty simple affair, of replacing the bottles, fitting some pipe work inside the gas bottle locker, and drilling (very carefully) a hole in the outer skin from that locker.

To fit a filler pipe across the other side of the motorhome would require a lift, or some other way of working under the motorhome safely, and with adequate space. Even parking with one side wheels up on the kerb, I don’t have that much space under the vehicle, and years of working under cars in my ‘youth’, with the near misses of collapsing ramps, leaking trolly jacks, etc., have put me off using anything less than a hydraulic ramp. Unfortunately, I don’t think the local council would appreciate an application to install such in the road outside my house!!

I still wonder if there had been an accident, and the insurance assessor had seen a gas installation without evidence of qualified gas fitter involvement, whether they would have used that as an excuse not to pay out.

Dec 3, 2017
notts/derby
Funster No
MH
hymer b544 2004
Exp
since 2011
i don,t know if gaslow fit systems or supply only.but i can say they are very helpful and,based in loughborough they would i'm sure give advice on instalation if needed.i've twice been to there premises to buy parts and only today had a filler hose replaced free of charge. can only recommend them.
dave f

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I still wonder if there had been an accident, and the insurance assessor had seen a gas installation without evidence of qualified gas fitter involvement, whether they would have used that as an excuse not to pay out.
It is not different to attaching and removing non-refillable bottles, in fact I think it is safer as you don't have to continually keep undoing and re-tightening the nuts.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Minxy Girl, are you able to help as to where I can get one of those small fillers please?
I can't remember whether I got it from Gasit or LPG shop: You don't have to buy all the kit from the same place and it can sometimes work out cheaper to get some from one, and some from another even with postage.

I've just had a quick shuftie and these are at the lpgshop:

There are also some here but they seem to be quite a bit more expensive:

OP
OP
Engineer999
Jun 5, 2020
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2020
Thank you all for your input, very helpful and, for my first post, an unexpectedly informative response. I will wait until I take delivery on the 2nd July and decide.
Cheers

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
i don,t know if gaslow fit systems or supply only.but i can say they are very helpful and,based in loughborough they would i'm sure give advice on instalation if needed.i've twice been to there premises to buy parts and only today had a filler hose replaced free of charge. can only recommend them.
dave f
Gaslow in Loughborough certainly used to have a fitting service. Worth a call.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Thanks Brian, the You-tube video I have seen shows the installer using a hole saw to install the external filler - this is the bit that gets me worried!!!!!!!
I have looked at refillable gas bottles , am I correct in thinking aLot of UK filling Stations are stopping supplying gas ?

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Some yes but my local Morrisons are ok plus I have two other locations near me to fill up but they are 5 and 10 mile drive.

TerryDunlea

Free Member
Oct 20, 2014
Rhyl
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
Been Towing Caravans for Years , now have a nice Burstner .
The main problem with fitting to ANY door , is one of unnecessary flexing of the Supply pipe and associated fittings ! As an aside many of the ‘Professional’ Installers and Motorhome Suppliers just either do not recognise this problem , or just ignore it out of convenience !

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
dave f
Out of interest what exactly was wrong with your filler hose ?

Dec 3, 2017
notts/derby
Funster No
MH
hymer b544 2004
Exp
since 2011
the end feral had some play.when i spoke to gaslow they explained that it was still perfectly safe but replaced it any way.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
the end feral had some play.when i spoke to gaslow they explained that it was still perfectly safe but replaced it any way.
Yes the ferules are only really decorative as they only hold the plastic covering in place as the stainless steel convoluted hose is welded on to the fittings 👍
06DA1DC8-8BFD-4929-80E7-21013BFC698D.jpeg
16359667-EE62-4983-B779-86671AA5CABB.jpeg

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The main problem with fitting to ANY door , is one of unnecessary flexing of the Supply pipe and associated fittings ! As an aside many of the ‘Professional’ Installers and Motorhome Suppliers just either do not recognise this problem , or just ignore it out of convenience !
Gaslow provide instructions (that I have followed) of how and how not to install the filler in a door.
2017-06-19 gaslow door instructions 001.JPG

TerryDunlea

Free Member
Oct 20, 2014
Rhyl
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
Been Towing Caravans for Years , now have a nice Burstner .
This , I believe supports My point about not fitting the Filler point to a Locker door , assuming of course that the one in question was ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Gaslow provide instructions (that I have followed) of how and how not to install the filler in a door.
Do this still support that method though? I thought they discouraged it completely now?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
A properly thought out and sensibly mounted, sufficiently long enough hose shouldn't cause a problem if fitted to a door. Another option would be to mount the filler point inside the locker, onto a suitable bracket screwed to the inside of the locker wall, floor or ceiling.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
A properly thought out and sensibly mounted, sufficiently long enough hose shouldn't cause a problem if fitted to a door. Another option would be to mount the filler point inside the locker, onto a suitable bracket screwed to the inside of the locker wall, floor or ceiling.
But do Gaslow still approve this sort of fitting? The brochures/info showing that is from a few years ago and I can't find anything on their site now about it being fitted that way - can you find anything that is 'up to date' from them?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Two sides to it really.

1. The Gaslow cylinders have non-return filler valves so if the filler hose between door and cylinders was damaged gas wouldn't escape from the cylinders. The only risk would be that gas would escape from a damaged/leaking filler hose when refilling the cylinders. Once the refillable's hoses have been fitted they never have to be disturbed again. I only have to open my gas locker door infrequently. E.g. when setting off for a trip and upon returning home, or when boarding a ferry.

2. On the other hand with exchange Calor cylinders the delivery hoses have to be disconnected and reconnected every time a cylinder is changed. The Calor cylinders don't have non-return valves so in the event of being reconnected incorrectly (crossed thread, faulty/damaged sealing washer or hose) a cylinder could continue to leak gas until the leak is discovered and corrected.
Neither system is 100% safe from faulty components or user error.

But do Gaslow still approve this sort of fitting? The brochures/info showing that is from a few years ago and I can't find anything on their site now about it being fitted that way - can you find anything that is 'up to date' from them?
My photo of the leaflet is from a new system that I installed only 3 years ago (in June '17).

Dec 3, 2017
notts/derby
Funster No
MH
hymer b544 2004
Exp
since 2011
the hose that i have replaced was between cylinders(6kg and 11kg) not from the filler point. my filler is a grey one fitted into the side skirt of my hymer and is a fantastic colour match and looks very discreet.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have fitted my own and used the same filler that Minxy Girl has, fastened to the rear bumper, but as to fitting one to the locker door, why there would be a problem, because once fitted there will be no need to open the door again.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have fitted my own and used the same filler that Minxy Girl has, fastened to the rear bumper, but as to fitting one to the locker door, why there would be a problem, because once fitted there will be no need to open the door again.
When you need to turn the bottles on/off you'll have to open the door, eg when filling etc.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The sticker sort of gives it away :Smile:
I thought that was just to say you had gas on board as that's a STEP not a bumper ... :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back