Refillable gas cylinders - with it for us? (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Autogas are a supplier not a bottle brand

So Alugas is only one I think missing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
My Wildax came with an underslung Gas-It 20 litre tank... if the gauge is red, I top up when getting diesel. Red on the gauge tends to mean 50%.
So I'd go for the single tank option... unless you plan to spend weeks on end, somewhere cold, not driving anywhere.
You can always add another tank if you need to - but you won't need to.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Refillable Gas bottles List

SafeFill
Gaslow
GasIT
AluGas

Looks like this is the final list of refillable gas bottle suppliers.
It would appear that they can all be refilled at the same places (is this correct ?)
They all appear to be able to be filled in both UK & (most of) Europe

I'm presuming they can each be supplied with an external fill point (or not), as the big issue seems to be weather you can (get away with) filling the bottle directly, or have to do it via an external fill point

Has anyone got a Pro's & Con's list for each one ?

(Jim Maybe the basis for an write up in the magazine ?)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018

SafeFill
Gaslow
GasIT
AluGas

It would appear that they can all be refilled at the same places (is this correct ?)

I'm presuming they can each be supplied with an external fill point (or not), as the big issue seems to be weather you can (get away with) filling the bottle directly, or have to do it via an external fill point

Basildog is your man. I’m going to try to call him this week for a proper chat.
So far my thinking is either Gaslow or Alugas. Either 1x11kg or 2x11kg.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Imo, if you've got the space, 2 x 11kg every time. It took me about 2 years to feel that I could justify the outlay but never had one moment regret and most years only a part tank used but it's there, fully fitted and so much easier pulling up, filling than humping a cylinder to the gas supplier and the fitting etc. Definitely worth ever penny.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We went for an in-skirt fill point, not one inside the gas locker as people told us that some filling stations get v tetchy about you filling if they see you opening the gas locker. It was a v neat installation and v easy to fill.

Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I also have a Globecar (Roadscout R) and will soon fit 1 x 11kg Gaslow initially and keep my 6kg Calor and see how I go, and if needed, later on I will upgrade to 2 x 11kg Gaslow assuming I have sufficient space. I think your van is bigger than mine so you should definetly have space for 2 x11kg.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019

SafeFill
Gaslow
GasIT
AluGas

There aren't that many difference to make a pro cons list
Its all been pretty much thrashed to death on this forum numerous times, some like one brand, some another

Safefill is a stand alone removable bottle. Convenient if you don't want to move the MH. But maybe not as widely accepted

All the rest are usually fitted and piped in. You can buy direct filling adaptors but much better and easier to just fit an external or internal fill point. Very few people have any issues filling with either. If somewhere refuses just go to the next one. If you do go internal then it can always be moved later if having problems. Once you drill a hole in the side of the van there's no going back.

Only real differences between Gasit Plus, Gaslow and Alugas is the Alugas is lighter. Depends what you are looking for but Safefill wouldn't even be on my own list as its a different setup.

But they all basically do the same job so you won't go wrong with any of them

As suggested maybe a mag write up, or a sticky Gas refillables guide would be an idea as the same questions keep coming up.

Dec 22, 2018
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
For your current use it may not be worth changing from Calor, but if you did certainly only warrants 1 x 11kg refillable and 1 x 6kg Calor as backup (saves weight & expense). I would only get 2 x 11kg if you know later you'll take long holidays with long periods away from an LPG source. It would be cheaper to get them initially than add a second later and you can setup an auto changeover valve (you may be able to do that with 1 x 11 + 1 x 6 Calor).

As others have said, because you don't have to wait for the refillable to empty - you can fill it any time, you'll rarely need the backup. I did 4 months travel and used the Calor once when in parts of France where LPG is hard to get. On mine the refillable has a POL adaptor so you just change the regulator from one tank to the other. Just a minute or two.

I would not put the filler inside the locker door. They don't like that in some parts of the EU. I got the smaller filler point (yellow arrow) which means you just screw in the adaptor for the relevant country each time you fill. It's easier to mount it.

IMG_20190619_204215.jpeg

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Perhaps I've been lucky. I've an internal filler point inside the boot and filled upon France, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland and Italy and never been refused or even challenged and the pump is started by the kiosk or by an attendant

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Perhaps I've been lucky. I've an internal filler point inside the boot and filled upon France, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland and Italy and never been refused or even challenged and the pump is started by the kiosk or by an attendant

Same for us. Never had a problem filling anywhere. Have only filled in France and UK though. In fact our local Morrisons always ask where we're going when we fill up but usually it's when we've come back that we refill so it's ready for next time.

Denise

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Having read all the options, I think I'll keep one Calor bottle and swap the other Calor bottle for a SafeFill, that way I've got both bases covered.

See how it goes, and maybe swap the other at some point

AnnK

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
North West
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580pr
Exp
Since 2016
I know it will have been mentioned previously but worth reminding, regarding SafeFill just make sure before you buy them that you can get them into your gas locker. We have a 2010 Swift and because the SafeFill bottles are 310 mm in diameter we can't fit them in our locker :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back