Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
Is there any comment that can be made as to the idea of getting gas refills. In my motorhome it will take the 14.5 litre bottle from SAFEFILL.
Any experience of this one?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I chose those, for flexibility, and have had no problems at all.
Some may say that you won't be able to get them refilled, but I think that that's only people who don't have one, but do have imagination.

Reactions: JJ

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I chose those, for flexibility, and have had no problems at all.
Some may say that you won't be able to get them refilled, but I think that that's only people who don't have one, but do have imagination.
Having a refillable gas system with a 'proper' fill point I feel qualified to comment despite NOT having a Safefill cylinder and this is not down to just my 'imagination' of it being difficult to get these 'stand alone' cylinders filled.

We've had refillable since 2009 and have had 2/3 times that I can remember when we've been refused permission to fill it in the last few years due to the filler being in the locker, so I moved it to the outside in order to negate any possible filing issues - my experience of being asked about the filler/purpose of the gas seems to be similar to some other people's experiences too.

If you want to use a Safefill one then you can but there could be occasions when you are not allowed to fill it whereas an 'external filler' one is likely to be allowed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
You are 12 miles from a company called Gasit. I think it may well pay you to get in touch with them. They are one of the best-known companies in this field. (y)

Wyn

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
SafeFill are light and you can (just) see the level of gas inside, so you shouldn't run out unexpectedly.
If you can fill it locally from your car, you can nip out and fill up with ease before every outing and be sure how much gas you have. With two, you have bags (perhaps that should be bottles) and can use the 'spare' for a BBQ or genny without being tethered to the van by a long hose (which are supposedly outlawed anyway). Admittedly, I haven't needed to fill up away from home very often, but I've not been stopped when I have done and I don't consider myself lucky. If prevented from filling, I'd just try somewhere else.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
SafeFill are light and you can (just) see the level of gas inside, so you shouldn't run out unexpectedly.
If you can fill it locally from your car, you can nip out and fill up with ease before every outing and be sure how much gas you have. With two, you have bags (perhaps that should be bottles) and can use the 'spare' for a BBQ or genny without being tethered to the van by a long hose (which are supposedly outlawed anyway). Admittedly, I haven't needed to fill up away from home very often, but I've not been stopped when I have done and I don't consider myself lucky. If prevented from filling, I'd just try somewhere else.
That's okay if there are plenty of places for you to go to get it filled but when abroad it can be many, many miles before you find somewhere else.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
With refillable, there's no need to be leaving it to the last minute as you can top up at any time. With two bottles, you have several days notice to look for a suitable station without going out of your way if you wait for one to become empty.
I'm not trying to promote these, I just decided to try them out and the system seems to be working fine.
If I hadn't gone SafeFill, I'd have chosen Alugas because I didn't want the extra weight. Cost did not come into it but, as it happens, SafeFill came out cheaper too.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wouldn't risk safefill myself having been refused at garages a couple of times but with the external filler I was able to blag it and say it was a tank. I nearly always make sure I leave home full but a 14kg cylinder (I have 2 x 14kg Alugas) only lasts us around 18 days in summer and a lot less in winter.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I wouldn't risk safefill myself having been refused at garages a couple of times but with the external filler I was able to blag it and say it was a tank. I nearly always make sure I leave home full but a 14kg cylinder (I have 2 x 14kg Alugas) only lasts us around 18 days in summer and a lot less in winter.
That's a heck of a lot of gas used! You're gonna have to stop heating the hot tub Lenny! :D2

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
With refillable, there's no need to be leaving it to the last minute as you can top up at any time. With two bottles, you have several days notice to look for a suitable station without going out of your way if you wait for one to become empty.
I'm not trying to promote these, I just decided to try them out and the system seems to be working fine.
If I hadn't gone SafeFill, I'd have chosen Alugas because I didn't want the extra weight. Cost did not come into it but, as it happens, SafeFill came out cheaper too.
I always liked the look of Safefill. But then I realised - and correct me if I'm wrong - that you need to disconnect the bottle from the gas pipe / pressure regulator, in order to refill? If that is the case, it's a deal-breaker for me, because part of the idea of refillable is to avoid all that faff.

I appreciate, there might be occasions for some that it would be an advantage to put the bottle in the back of the car to take it to be filled, but wouldn't really cut it for me. Just a personal opinion and I'm really pleased the system works fine for you. Certainly grateful to read your positive comments, because I think Safefill has some innovative aspects well worth considering.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Yes, you're right, you need to disconnect to refill. And, for that reason, it's not feasible to use an external fill point.
The 'faff' can be reduced by adding a hand wheel connector.
I think the main market for SafeFill is caravaners but i was just pointing out that they can be used in motorhomes, which I suspect is what the OP was trying to establish.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Sorry, I am thinking of another firm. I should have said Getgas. They are at Bedminster, BS3 3PN.

WYN

......................and they supply and fit Gasit products.

They did mine and I am very pleased with the service

Andrew

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Surely you only would get refused at a petrol Filling station, where they have a blanket ban due to a few dare-devils with home made refillables

Isnt it more expensive in any case at fuel stations due to VAT or am i wrong

Just find an independant gas dealer who sells it from a pump

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
"Get Gas" 115 West Street Bedminster Bristol.a small garage but Gasit suppliers.
Have been up today
2 X 11kg remote full kit (external fill point)£335
With other accessories and euro adapters £370
Everything brand new.
Have been filling my own bottles for years but as @Minxy Girl says it's becoming a lottery for filling with an open locker door .

Or bottles in the boot of the car

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
For the record, Ive gone with a 10kg Safefill
You may find that you are more and more restricted where you can fill it in the future even though it is not like those 'people' filling Calor ones illegally, but the fact that you need to remove the bottle to fill it (in most cases) means you are much more likely to be refused. How long have you been using it and where?

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Surely you only would get refused at a petrol Filling station, where they have a blanket ban due to a few dare-devils with home made refillables

Isnt it more expensive in any case at fuel stations due to VAT or am i wrong

Think most people want an easy life and just refill in fuel station rather than trying to find independent retailer selling gas.

And more importantly if going abroad want to know they can get bottles filled so filling from outside gas point makes sense and causes less problems than filling within gas locker or removing bottle and trying to fill it

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive not seen a safill bottle yet but would it not be possible to fit a external filler by teeing in between bottle and reg?you might need an extra vale after the tee and before the reg.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have gasit with the fill in the locker we too have never been stopped and as we can get 3 weeks from a single cyl (diesel heating) and fill when at least 1/3 left have lots of opportunity to find somewhere else if necessary. Each to their own I wanted to be easily able to remove the cyl when we change motorhomes and have no spare holes left behind.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020

We have gaslow with external filler, never had a problem filling.

However our local gas dealer is more expensive for his “loose” gas by 18p a litre than Shell on the A1. I asked him why and he said it was to discourage the sort of set up we have, the margins from loose gas are very low so he wants people to keep on the Calor gravy train.

Having said he was 18p a litre more expensive it is still cheaper than the usual exchange bottle system.

Oh and in case anyone is curious, we didn’t fill up with him..and have never returned!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
ive not seen a safill bottle yet but would it not be possible to fit a external filler by teeing in between bottle and reg?you might need an extra vale after the tee and before the reg.
I suppose it could be done, but that's not how they're designed to be used. There's a NRV in the head that is opened the moment you connect a pigtail (which is what you'd probably be doing) and would require another one at the filler point or fiddling around in the locker with the main valve (causing the kind of attention you're trying to avoid).
Best to get refillables with an external filler if you're nervous about being permitted to refill but i've survived for several years without refusal. They may not have time to do anything about it anyway if you're quick enough.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The reason that I put in a Gasit system rather than safefill are twofold. First and most importantly is convenience. I cannot be faffing about undoing and doing connections every time in the crowded place that is my gas locker and neither do I want to be humping heavy gas bottles about at my age. Secondly, but much less importantly is that, whether we like it or not, there is more possibility of you being refused gas if you open up the gas locker than if you use an external filler, especially when in places like France and Italy.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The reason that I put in a Gasit system rather than safefill are twofold. First and most importantly is convenience. I cannot be faffing about undoing and doing connections every time in the crowded place that is my gas locker and neither do I want to be humping heavy gas bottles about at my age. Secondly, but much less importantly is that, whether we like it or not, there is more possibility of you being refused gas if you open up the gas locker than if you use an external filler, especially when in places like France and Italy.
Good enough reasons, Peter, but SafeFill are very light when empty and not so heavy when full (Weetabix may be required). I refill from home using the car (just as a caravanner might) as it saves me taking the moho out. I've refilled in France, Germany & Luxemburg from within the locker, so my choice has worked for me (so far). It is more of a faff than an external filler would be, though.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
At my age any bottle bigger than a beer bottle is heavy. I simply avoid the need to move any bottles or undoing any hoses by simply filling up when I am using the moho. I have a couple of apps which tell me where I can find LPG everywhere in Europe.

I do the same with diesel as well, as I don't like carrying gerry cans either ............ :D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back