Apr 11, 2016
Boston, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
HI everybody,
We are about to take delivery of our new (first) motorhome, a Hymer Exsis T588, which is fitted with an external gas filler point, all that is left after the previous owner had the existing system transferred to his new vehicle! We would be interested to hear of any recommendations for systems on the market. The light-weight German Alugas is looking to be the best buy, all things considered.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
We had the Alugas but not cheap. Just not having to heave gas bottles in and out the locker was the deciding factor for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
The new Gas-it bottles are the same price now as Gaslow, but gas-it supply rubber hoses and gaslow s/s. Take your pick. Alu gas are the lightest, but quite expensive. Really nothing in it price wise these days.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Look out for second hand. After all, it's not as if the bottle actually does anything, except, err? hold gas.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Do you know how much gas do you use per year? Will you be going abroad?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Parker and Penelope

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
Boston, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for that, everybody, but Perhaps I should have made it plain that we intend to travel for extended periods in Europe, hence the decision to go down the refillable bottle route. I read somewhere that someone had a system installed by Autogas Leisure on a while-you-wait basis? Anybody out there with such an experience?

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
HI everybody,
We are about to take delivery of our new (first) motorhome, a Hymer Exsis T588, which is fitted with an external gas filler point, all that is left after the previous owner had the existing system transferred to his new vehicle! We would be interested to hear of any recommendations for systems on the market. The light-weight German Alugas is looking to be the best buy, all things considered.
If you don't mind spending more. A fully fitted underslung gas tank is the best option.

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Alugas.. Have had the system in three vans of ours and have fitted it to a few others.. Lovely kit, well priced and an excellent customer back up from the good folk at Alugas2000

Upvote 0

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Thanks for that, everybody, but Perhaps I should have made it plain that we intend to travel for extended periods in Europe, hence the decision to go down the refillable bottle route. I read somewhere that someone had a system installed by Autogas Leisure on a while-you-wait basis? Anybody out there with such an experience?

I have a duel bottle Autogas system fitted on my MH , went to Europe for a extended trip, in Portugal it was near imposable to find a refill garage, in Spain there was the odd one France had plenty, it was a nightmare not being able to guarantee a refill, one I found in Portugal had decided to stop supplying it, I used the map of the stations to find a fill up point, if I was doing it again I would pay the extra for what ever bottle needed for each country, never mind the weight at least you have gas, I was going all over Europe, if your staying in the same area and you find a refill station be sure to top up before you move on. sure posters will say they have no trouble and I am sure they don't, heck I would change bottle and blow the expense and remember you will need connectors for each Country they are easy to get though,

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That was another reason for going with Alugas to start with.
When you buy the kit I was was given the choice of a full Alugas pigtail or a widget that converts the standard pigtail to the Alugas.
By going down that route it allows me to disconnect the Alugas if stuck, screw on a different adapter and use a local bottle ( ths is what we used to do in places like Croatia.
ANDDDDDD
The various country adapters for filling up are pretty cheap from Alugas compared to other options ( at least I found them to be )

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Parker and Penelope

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
Boston, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks guys, I feel better able to make a choice now though I see there are a number of things to consider, in particular the apparent scarcity of gas stations in Portugal and Spain where we are headed later next year. A mix of connectors/adaptors and research - to locate outlets in advance - seem to be the order of the day. Very grateful to all who contributed to this discussion.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have the Alugas 14kg bottles need to check if your locker is tall enough they are the same diameter as the 11kg.
We were in Portugal & Spain eairler this year plenty of LPG pumps never had any problems.

Upvote 0

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Thanks guys, I feel better able to make a choice now though I see there are a number of things to consider, in particular the apparent scarcity of gas stations in Portugal and Spain where we are headed later next year. A mix of connectors/adaptors and research - to locate outlets in advance - seem to be the order of the day. Very grateful to all who contributed to this discussion.

Mine is by Avon Autogas. It won't cost you more than £400 all in whatever you have. Google them and call them.
And see my posts on the subject. You won't be disappointed.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2016 - very much newbies
If your locker has room for two cylinders then you could do what I (and several others) have done if you are worried about finding filling station - I've had a single refillable cylinder fitted from Gaslow who also sell a wide range of adaptors for attaching exchange cylinders. It's a compromise but may give you peace of mind being able to easily use local cylinders as a backup if you can't refill.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Alugas is good if payload is a problem and you want to carry more gas. A conventional cylinder could be attached through a BBQ point.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2015
Barnsley, South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail, Tracker FB
Exp
45 yrs Tugging
You say you already have external fill point so you can buy alugas kit from Autogas 2000 at Thirsk and save the £50 fitting charge we payed but did include a set of continental adapters.
We booked in and was fitted while we waited by John very efficient chap also tidy and neat, but really you can fit yourself as all screwup fittings on ready made hoses.
Also by using alugas the Weight saving is appropriately 5kg per bottle against gaslow,gas it or any of the steel bottle type which is 10kg on 2 bottles.
Cliff

Last edited:
Upvote 0

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
If your locker has room for two cylinders then you could do what I (and several others) have done if you are worried about finding filling station - I've had a single refillable cylinder fitted from Gaslow who also sell a wide range of adaptors for attaching exchange cylinders. It's a compromise but may give you peace of mind being able to easily use local cylinders as a backup if you can't refill.
i use this approach...single 11kg Gaslow (used as primary bottle and exclusively in uk) but space for another local bottle (spain) if staying on a site for any length of time, which can be got 'from reception'....

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
HI everybody,
Alugas isn't the cheapest and to be honest unless you need to save the approx 10kg of payload for 2 bottles I'd be more inclined to go for a Gas-it 11kg cylinder which will be a very easy for you to fit as you've already got the filler installed, it's just a matter of getting the hoses to go from the filler to the cylinder and from the cylinder to the regulator.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
HI everybody,

I had gaslow fitted by Automate near Newark,and I'm very happy with it.

And I highly recommend Automate.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
HI everybody,

Just found there site for you mate as quite local for you !

http://www.automateuk.com/living-area-enhancements/gaslow-refillable-lpg-kits-and-fittings/

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We've just changed to twin Alugas 11kg bottles, previously had a single Gaslow so could have just added another. The difference in weight is 11.6kg or just under 2 stone. It felt better to us to have the lighter option even though we may not desperately need it. The price difference isn't that great.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Parker and Penelope

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
Boston, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi again, everybody.
I've been off forum for a few days and only just caught up. Overwhelmed by the amount of helpful advice generated by my initial question. Thank you to all who have contributed. I now need to sift through the suggestions and decide on which option to take. I feel sure that others will benefit from this discussion. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back