Refillable gas bottle has expired date 2020 ? (1 Viewer)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Actually, an inaccuracy, on my part. LPG is not "inert", as it is extremely volatile given the right conditions. It does however contain no significant Oxidising material, and as such levels of corrosion in service will be minute.
Obviously an incorrect opinion PeteH as this is the definitive explanation of inert gas.

Inert gas is gas that does not react with the substances coming in contact with it. ... Some common ones include methane, butane, propane, neon, freon, xenon, argon (ar), krypton, radon (radioactive heaviest of inert gases), acetylene, carbon dioxide, helium, hydrogen, nitrogen, liquified petroleum gas (LPG).

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Is there an insurance angle here? If we drive around with out of date cylinders, tyres or whatever are we perhaps leaving wriggle room for the insurers? We know Calor had to withdraw and inspect many of their Lite cylinders a few years back so presumably things can go wrong.
There's no use by or change by date on tyres. There's a manufacturing date.
As regards Calor, they were unsafe cylinders and recalled when taken for exchange, absolutely nothing to do with what refillable cylinders are.
As I've said previously on gas cylinders , at the due date (test date) the cylinder goes to the various plants, the valves removed and discarded, the cylinder is then pressure tested after purging, repainted and new valve fitted then a test date applied. It then is identical in all respects as a new cylinder.
Generally gas cylinders have a 10 year test date applied commercially. However, recently 15 year test dates are currently on some lpg refillable cylinders.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Gasit say they would exchange cylinders at a very favorable price !! for those who want to change their bottles; although they dont say what that is.

also i would think that if the 80% fill cut off was operating correctly, there is no corossion on the bottles or valves then all is well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Obviously an incorrect opinion PeteH as this is the definitive explanation of inert gas.

Inert gas is gas that does not react with the substances coming in contact with it. ... Some common ones include methane, butane, propane, neon, freon, xenon, argon (ar), krypton, radon (radioactive heaviest of inert gases), acetylene, carbon dioxide, helium, hydrogen, nitrogen, liquified petroleum gas (LPG).

Yes, I would concede, the gas is Inert by definition in its "state", as you say. But in combination with oxygen?, it becomes extremely and explosively volatile. Its expansion rate from Liquid to Gas for example is 270 times. Either way it is not to be messed with!. It is also heavier than Air and has been responsible for explosions in drainage systems when the Air/Gas ratio is in the right band. Hence also to remind folk NOT to blank off the drop vents!.

Edit; I note you also advise that some cylinders are now being extended to 15 years?. Calor`s Testing regime USED to be by pressurizing in a water tank?. As stated throughout this Post. I have been away from this area for over 20 years, so much of what I used to know could well be far out of date.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2016
Aquitaine, France
Funster No
MH
Kentucky Estro 9
Exp
23 years
Can't decide what to do, we had our first refillable gaslow bottles in 2007, and in 2010 decided to change to gas-it aluminium bottles, we let one go with our last van, and kept one and use a Spanish bottle with it, well the date is 2020 so has anyone bothered to take them in for checking / pressure testing or part exchange for a new one, and what allowances do they offer, ? or just dumped it and purchased another from elsewhere, because I don't think gas-it do aluminium these days. ? Bob.
[/QUOTE
There is something that can go wrong, the non return valve on the filler can leak.

Just for information, I have Alugas fitted for 12 years. Recently noticed that after filling, gas was leaking from the filler for a couple of minutes (contents of hose?). Contacted Alugas about this, reply was, 10 year lifespan, return to factory (Germany) refurb of valves etc. €65 + freight or renewal with fitted level indicator €165 + freight

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
also i would think that if the 80% fill cut off was operating correctly, there is no corossion on the bottles or valves then all is well.
Unfortunately there's no way of knowing that the 80% fill cut off (ullage)
Yes, I would concede, the gas is Inert in its "state", as you say. But in combination with oxygen?, it becomes extremely and explosively volatile. Its expansion rate from Liquid to Gas for example is 270 times. Either way it is not to be messed with!. It is also heavier than Air and has been responsible for explosions in drainage systems when the Air/Gas ratio is in the right band. Hence also to remind folk NOT to blank off the drop vents!.
Sorry but lpg is classified as an inert gas irrespective of it's reaction with other gasses particularly oxygen because oxygen is the opposite
OXYGEN

It is the opposite of inert; it will react with many substances. ... The inert gases are a group of gases whose outer ring of electrons is complete: krypton, argon, helium. They were difficult to discover because they are so unreactive. Oxygen on the other hand is found bound up in many solids which are often quite hard.
I understand your thoughts but lpg is inert and oxygen is not.
The same way fire cannot exist without oxygen

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
this is from the gasit web site;
not suggesting anyone should not get bottles checked but this is the legal position:-

Quote!!
there are 2 official and legal answers :

1) Under current UK & EU law, privately owned end-user owned refillable gas bottles or gas tanks do not need to be legally tested every 10 years as normal gas bottles issued by the big commercial companies do but to be safer than sorry we would always recommend that they are checked and inspected, even if that is just by a GAS IT trained engineer who can check the physical look and condition of the tank/bottle and its valves functionality.

2) If the GAS IT bottle or GAS IT tank is being used in a commercial application by say a motorhome rental company, catering vehicle ( anywhere you need legally a Gas safe certificate ) then there is a 10 years life span on the bottles and tanks, but private motorhomes there isn't.
This advice has now disappeared from that website !
I am not saying a word 😂

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
A bit of a bump, but a French friend cuts old gas bottles in half from top to bottom vertically. With the handles repurposed as feet and welded, they make great BBQs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back