Refillable gas - back up canister on continent (RFG Q2) (1 Viewer)

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Seriously considering refillable gas and hopefully opting for alugas ( see other thread) however not sure need 2 canisters as can refill quite regularly and outlay cost of 2 a bit too much at moment.
main worry is when we go skiing will possibly need more than one and tank access to LPG without moving off "mountain" and loosing camper spot not a good option
Therefore thinking of doing 2 things
1) taking small calor with us just as back up
2) buying in France small canister - I believe its a lot cheaper

How feasible is this and how easy is it to swap between the systems - I know I have to get continental fillers anyway, but what about internal connectors?

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
you need to know how long you're staying on site, what your gas consumption is and how much you're carrying.
i doubt you will get more than 3 weeks in winter with 2 x 11kgs, and the 4.5kg campinggaz cylinders are frighteningly expensive, so perhaps a little drive out might be called for.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We ski every year and have twin Alugas 44 litres which we fill at the bottom of the mountain before heading up and we always carry a spare 13kg propane as well. Gas consumption depends a lot on the temperature and the thermal quality of you van. Remember at night in a ski resort it can drop to minus 20 or more and heating needs to be left on 24 hrs. We usually stay up for 7 days use all our on-board facilities and we also cook in our oven have never used the spare yet but our van is exceptionally well insulated. We've seen others run out and have to make that long journey down after 4 days so don't scrimp.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Alas only 7-10 days skiing available and hoping to stay on sites with Ehu so will need gas for heating/ limited cooking. Have a new truma system which can use electric/ gas combo or gas or electric. Therefore instead of shelling out for additional alugas cylinder may not need I was looking at practicality of additional calor (which already own) buying straight from France gas bottle and the ease of swapping between systems

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you can stretch to a twin 11 kg setup I would recommend it. We have used a full 11 kg bottle in three days - and that was in Derbyshire one very cold New Year. Regarding not moving off pitch, you can get a Gaslow adapter and pipe that allows you to plug in a free-standing bottle to the refillable input point. Useful for those who need to carry an emergency Calor-type bottle as well as the refillables.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you are going to have ehu, then use it for some heating. A fan heater on its lowest setting will save huge amounts of gas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

missbusybusy

Free Member
Nov 27, 2011
Northampton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie again
we use an adaptor (we have a couple of different ones) to connect an external outside bottle to the refillable system when required, it works a treat ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back