Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Hi all

breaking out this question from another thread as it was getting lost there.

I’m planning on getting a Safefill refillable gas bottle and would welcome feedback if you’ve got one of those and either had problems, or no problems filling up in France.

I’m going to get the 10kg bottle which holds approx 19ltrs, so it should do me for most trips, but I want to get a bottle I can fill if I really need to.

Any thoughts?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Safefill yes. France cant answer but the only time I needed to fill outside UK was in Germany.
Large motorway services, opened locker door and filled bottle no problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
My experience (other experiences are available!)

We have an underslung tank, however we have been checked in some locations.

France, usually fine - occasionally ask ”are you filling bottles”, once was asked for certificate of installation.
Spain - Never refused or checked, some garage owners will fill anything (Aguilas will fill calor etc)
Portugal - Never refused or checked, some garage owners will attempt to fill anything. (Small independents)
Germany - Never refused or checked
Italy - Often asked “is it for the motor?” (of course it is!) once aggressively refused, but have usually found somewhere willing to fill (think you’d struggle with visible bottles)

I think you need to be aware that waving a bottle around on the forecourt will attract suspicion in many countries.

You need adapters, the 3 piece kit will serve you throughout Europe (cup, bullet and screw)

Mr Rusty

Free Member
Apr 13, 2012
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Since 1986
Had Safefill for years and never been refused in France. Been refused in UK once, but drove on to next LPG garage. I don’t have an external fill point and so have to open gas locker door to fill, but I do leave the bottle in situ when filling (ie I don’t wave the bottle round on the forecourt).

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I don't have Safefill but Gaslow.
However, in order to prevent misunderstanding on the Continent I have moved my box of adaptors and gloves into the space behind the drivers seat.
I therefore don't have to open the gas locker where they were housed previously.

Ed 57

Free Member
Jan 10, 2018
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1987 but Still learning
We never found anywhere in France to fill our Safefill during a 5 week trip, but the 10 kg / 19 Lt bottle was sufficient for us 12 nights on sites with EHU, and 23 nights on Aires. Not used for heating, just fridge, cooking & showers.
People do tend to overestimate how much gas they need.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You cannot connect SafeFill to an external socket. it does not work like that.
I fill mine in the locker. Get it ready beforehand (disconnect the pigtail & turn the valve on) and have not had any problem - BUT have not needed to fill in France yet. I would not expect a problem, however.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Out of 24 countries on this trip only been refused twice ,Italy &Germany ,I have a Gaslow with internal filler.

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
we have Gas Low and never had a problem and been all over Europe But I suppose there can be a first time

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Made some calculations. I reckon on my usage, the payback would be in excess of 2 years.?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I know how much I use, shoulder season in Portugal or Spain a 14kg (28Lt) bottle lasts 15-18 days for us.

That seems heavy usage - do you shower everyday? Does that include much time with the heating on?

A 13Kg propane bottle will last us over three weeks on average.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We have gaslow we did consider getting the saffill for our sons van but in the end went with the gasit system
external filling point
bill

OP
OP
ShaKen

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Made some calculations. I reckon on my usage, the payback would be in excess of 2 years.?

For me the most important bit is not the issue of cost but that of having availability of gas.

If I take Calor (UK) bottles then I’ve probably near 0% chance of getting a refill if I need it in France, whereas if I have a Safefill bottle, then it’s pretty likely I’ll find somewhere nearby where I can get a refill.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
For me the most important bit is not the issue of cost but that of having availability of gas.

If I take Calor (UK) bottles then I’ve probably near 0% chance of getting a refill if I need it in France, whereas if I have a Safefill bottle, then it’s pretty likely I’ll find somewhere nearby where I can get a refill.
As per my previous post you will get GPL as they call it in France in many motorway service areas as well some supermarkets just remember to get the necessary French adapter

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I have no doubt that your calculations aren't exact and I had that issue but I took the plunge and decided to go for the Gaslow system. On my very first trip away (2 weeks to France) , I used (by refilling) £9.94 at the service station on the M20. Obviously cheaper if I'd filled in my area. (83p v 46p). Previously I'd have a Calorlite and a BP lite and that was about £53 to exchange. On that one trip, I saved £43. However the greatest advantage was not having to go to exchange the cylinders at 2 different places , the time taken plus the disconnection and reconnection of the cylinders. You can't put a price on convenience.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have no doubt that your calculations aren't exact and I had that issue but I took the plunge and decided to go for the Gaslow system. On my very first trip away (2 weeks to France) , I used (by refilling) £9.94 at the service station on the M20. Obviously cheaper if I'd filled in my area. (83p v 46p). Previously I'd have a Calorlite and a BP lite and that was about £53 to exchange. On that one trip, I saved £43. However the greatest advantage was not having to go to exchange the cylinders at 2 different places , the time taken plus the disconnection and reconnection of the cylinders. You can't put a price on convenience.
It`s not that I cannot see, what you are saying. But in 2 years time, I may not be here, or at least no longer Motorhoming?. Which makes the move to refillable`s less cost effective. (for me, who has no prospect of going abroad, the health insuance costs are too great.). Now someone who does a lot of usage and gets to go Foreign. I can see the benefits. My R-v`s came with fixed tanks. (120L) And I am well aware of the difference in cost. I used to be able to fill at a 5% VAT rate, because it was classed as "domestic". I`ve paid as little a 15pence / litre in the past.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
It`s not that I cannot see, what you are saying. But in 2 years time, I may not be here, or at least no longer Motorhoming?. Which makes the move to refillable`s less cost effective. (for me, who has no prospect of going abroad, the health insuance costs are too great.). Now someone who does a lot of usage and gets to go Foreign. I can see the benefits. My R-v`s came with fixed tanks. (120L) And I am well aware of the difference in cost. I used to be able to fill at a 5% VAT rate, because it was classed as "domestic". I`ve paid as little a 15pence / litre in the past.
Sorry PeteH, I was putting my take on it. At the time I had my refillable cylinders fitted, I only got opportunity to use my moho a few weeks a year and only 2 in Europe. I wasn't trying to justify the costs to you but rather justified the costs to myself. Personally, if I'd thought I could have broke even in 2 years, I'd have had no hesitation as I estimated it would have taken my in excess of 6/7 years to get to that stage.
Only you can decide whether or not it's cost effective or worthwhile and in all fairness, nobody knows what's happening tomorrow let alone within 2 years but for what it's worth, my previous post was my opinion

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I don't have Safefill but Gaslow.
However, in order to prevent misunderstanding on the Continent I have moved my box of adaptors and gloves into the space behind the drivers seat.
I therefore don't have to open the gas locker where they were housed previously.

Same as us. We did have to open locker door, but we’re never checked/questioned but opening a locker on the side of the van is sometimes very awkward-space wise, so hubby fitted filler point on outside and has adapters in cab.
We've never been stopped and I think we’ve only been checked out once, in France!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That seems heavy usage - do you shower everyday? Does that include much time with the heating on?

A 13Kg propane bottle will last us over three weeks on average.
18 days is only 3 days short of three weeks.
Yes heating and hot water on for our shower everyday often up in the mountains so heating often on. Fridge uses more gas since I fitted an internal fan but at least it works like a fridge rather than a cool box.
Most of our trips are Feb/March & Sept/Oct.

Apr 29, 2016
Aquitaine, France
Funster No
MH
Kentucky Estro 9
Exp
23 years
They are getting very teasy in France with refillable s, two stations local to me have point blank refused, showed them the bottle, explained it was specially made for refills but-non c'est un bouteille, I'd guess head office have sent a memo and rules is rules.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
They are getting very teasy in France with refillable s, two stations local to me have point blank refused, showed them the bottle, explained it was specially made for refills but-non c'est un bouteille, I'd guess head office have sent a memo and rules is rules.
Personally I think that will spread. Filling cylinders is not recommended in lots of countries

Aug 7, 2017
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Swift kontiki 665
Exp
Had motorhome for 2years.
Hi all

breaking out this question from another thread as it was getting lost there.

I’m planning on getting a Safefill refillable gas bottle and would welcome feedback if you’ve got one of those and either had problems, or no problems filling up in France.

I’m going to get the 10kg bottle which holds approx 19ltrs, so it should do me for most trips, but I want to get a bottle I can fill if I really need to.

Any thoughts?
Hi I've not done France since I've had the safefill. But we've just done Portugal and Spain for 6 months and no problems filling in any of the country's.

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
Had Safefill for a few years now and had no problems in Europe so far.When we are in the UK we are lucky because local to us nice local garage with old fashioned system of coming out to fill up for you. I held onto the old calor for this country just in case but they are a complete ripoff on the 6/7 kgs. The problem with having the larger cheaper bottles is that the main clubs will not let you have gas bottles freestanding due to Health and Safety

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been refused in Portugal was told they don't filll bottles. I pointed at my external filler and told them it was a tank and they filled me.

I'm not sure about Portugal but Spain & Italy it is illegal to fill habitation tanks but you very seldom every have a problem filling. I've been refused in Italy but the next garage was OK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back