Reduction on ferries for wrinklies (1 Viewer)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You have to be 66 for those now, unless you live in Wales or London, the latter only for use on journeys entirely within the London area however :(
The bus part is for the whole of England but trains and all the other is just for London

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
You have to be 66 for those now, unless you live in Wales or London, the latter only for use on journeys entirely within the London area however :(
You can get them from age 60 in Scotland (y) Use mine on the long distance buses ....... all free!!! ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can get them from age 60 in Scotland (y) Use mine on the long distance buses ....... all free!!! ;)
... but living in Scotland you have to have SOME perks ... especially one to be able to get on a bus and go somewhere else!:rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hmmmmm?
I'm 65 and had my bus pass since 62 and it covers all buses in England and Wales (probably not in the fishy area but I don't know) and the tram in Greater Manchester.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth

I make somewhere between 7-10 crossings a year and because I never know if I am in a car a or a camper , its difficult to manage, plus when you look at the exclusions and stuff, it gets to be a PITA.. I asked specifically when I was trying to juggle some bookings and was told 'no, its just for cars ' ..

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
supplementary question, why should over 60's travel for less
BECAUSE ! ! ! ! !
((I CANT THINK OF A REASON RIGHT NOW !!!))
SO JUST "SUCK IT UP ! ! !
Cheeky bloody kids.....
;););)
Mitch.
PS. I'm willing to bet that 75% of members on here are OVER 60.
THAT is a good enough reason ! ! !
Mitch. xx
PSS. DONT be in a hurry to get there DavidG58. It aint ALL roses...
Mitch.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
... but living in Scotland you have to have SOME perks ... especially one to be able to get on a bus and go somewhere else!:rofl:

but we have to pay as soon as we cross the border!

we get lots of perks up here, with more to come when we eventually break free.

but not in the Queen's way. band not royalty.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Anyway, the lady then gave me a French number to call, which I did. Totally different reception, a delightful, pleasant French lady who spoke fluent English and actually seemed pleased that I wanted to use her company. So here's the important bit (at last, I hear you groan) - she asked me if I was over 60 and when I said yes I am, she said I get a 20% discount. 20%!! It made quite a difference to my one-way crossing with my campervan, so the potential savings for a large motorhome on a return journey would be significant.

So, the number to call is 0033 232144729.

I made a booking yesterday using 0800 917 1201 which also went straight to a French lady speaking fluent English, but had the benefit of being a free call rather than the 75p per minute that the French number would have cost me, so I'd recommend the 0800 number if calling from Blighty, depending on your phone package and allowances.

Anyway, this has prompted another question. I gave all my details, paid the discounted fare (by credit card, no surcharge) and was given a booking reference. All good (y)

Although the lady asked for my mobile number and email address, I haven't had any form of written confirmation. Should I have, or is it just a case of quoting the booking reference when I turn up to board the ferry?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I made a booking yesterday using 0800 917 1201 which also went straight to a French lady speaking fluent English, but had the benefit of being a free call rather than the 75p per minute that the French number would have cost me, so I'd recommend the 0800 number if calling from Blighty, depending on your phone package and allowances.

Anyway, this has prompted another question. I gave all my details, paid the discounted fare (by credit card, no surcharge) and was given a booking reference. All good (y)

Although the lady asked for my mobile number and email address, I haven't had any form of written confirmation. Should I have, or is it just a case of quoting the booking reference when I turn up to board the ferry?
We received email confirmation.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I always have always received a confirmation by email, never by text to my mobile. Perhaps she wrote down your email address incorrectly? It's easy for that to happen. I think they require your mob number so that they can contact you (here or 'over there') if there are any unforeseen late changes to the sailing time.
In dozens of crossings they have never asked for my booking ref at Newhaven. You don't need to go to the terminal office, you just join the queue for the check-in kiosk. The booking details must come up on their system when they check your passport.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Thank you both, I'll give them a ring and check that they have the right address.

Edit: Just called and they had an extra character in my email address. Booking confirmation re-sent whilst I was on the phone. All sorted. Thanks again (y)(y)(y)

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I am over 60 but have often wondered myself why I should pay less than someone younger. After all, if I buy a pint it's the same price everyone else pays.

I do? I get a 10% discount at my local. and 50p off beer at Wetherspoons.

BTW, you cannot use an English bus pass in Scotland!!:mad::mad::mad:

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Senior citizen discount.jpg

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I do? I get a 10% discount at my local. and 50p off beer at Wetherspoons.

BTW, you cannot use an English bus pass in Scotland!!:mad::mad::mad:
So, why should we get a discount on the ferries, at Wetherspoons or anywhere else. BTW, my Scottish bus pass doesn't work in England.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
So, why should we get a discount on the ferries, at Wetherspoons or anywhere else. BTW, my Scottish bus pass doesn't work in England.

I guess businesses offer reduced 'off peak' prices to encourage retired people (who presumably have more flexibility than working folk) to use their services at less busy times of day (or night). E.g. night ferry crossings are usually cheaper than daytime sailings for everyone .
In the case of the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry discounts are available for everyone on a ticket booked in the name of an over 60 person (or for a student or a disabled person of any age). This was the contractual agreement (a condition) imposed when the service was originally started 40+ years ago by the Dieppe Chamber of Commerce and Lewes Council and other stakeholders. It has been carried forward during several changes of operator. Presumably they are contractually bound to continue it or they would have dropped it long ago. As it is, this discount is not publicised by the operator nor does it appear anywhere on their website and bookings must be made by phone to enjoy the reduction.

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Why shouldn't We?. Purchasing "incentives" are used all the time, Cheaper fares off peak, Kid`s go free, Free kid`s meals with 2 Adult meals, the list is endless, In the end it`s All about Marketing. Even politicians do it, i.e. extra cash for Scotland social services, to keep them "on board". 3K extra per head at the last count!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
When I worked in the ferry industry over 60's didn't get any discount with my company. However, just about everybody could if they joined a club of some description. Didn't have to be a caravan or motoring club either, in fact only drive up customers paid the full brochure price.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
When I worked in the ferry industry over 60's didn't get any discount with my company. However, just about everybody could if they joined a club of some description. Didn't have to be a caravan or motoring club either, in fact only drive up customers paid the full brochure price.

Bingo! There are all kinds of discounts and incentives available for almost anyone if you know where to look or how to "play the game". Companies rely on customer inertia or disinterest to maximise their profits. Will, if you're wondering why you should get a discount and don't agree with it, please PM me and I'm sure we can come to an amicable arrangement whereby you send me a certain sum of money every year to make you feel better :LOL:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
You miss the point, just about everyone gets a discount, but, why in particular do over 60's expect a discount. Why not over 50's or over 40's, doesn't make any sense at all.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Without reading back through the whole thread, I don't think anyone has said that they expect a discount. The thread started with a post informing anyone who wasn't already aware, that they could get a certain discount if they were over 60. Then the question "why should over 60's get a discount?" was asked. I don't go around demanding discounts from all and sundry because I am over 60, but I have and will take advantage of what is legitimately on offer, whether that is a discount for being over 60, because I am a member of a particular club, or whatever the particular offer happens to be, as long as I meet the conditions.

So my answer to the question why should over 60's get a discount was, because we can. If the discount is being offered, should we turn it down?

Why did I get a discount on my home insurance this year? Because the insurer was offering a discount to new customers, and although an existing customer I asked what was to stop me from telling them I didn't want to renew, and then taking out a new policy. They were quite happy to do that, but would they have suggested it if I hadn't asked - of course not. Nothing to do with being over 60, but I took advantage of what was on offer by putting myself in the position of meeting their requirements. Why should new customers get a discount? Because the insurer has decided on that business model as a form of promotion.

The answer to why over 60's should get certain discounts is because those companies offering them have decided that is the way they wish to market their business. Other businesses may decide to offer discounts to people meeting different criteria. Are those of us meeting whatever the criteria happens to be supposed to turn these offers down because it's not fair that they're not available to everyone?

Unlike the insurance example, I have no choice in the fact that I am over 60. Would I rather be younger and unable to avail myself of that discount, in a lot of ways yes. Am I going to turn it down because it's not available to people not yet as old as me? Hell, no.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I don't know if this is common knowledge, but I discovered it today quite by accident. If you're about to book a crossing with DFDS on the interweb - DON'T!

I was trying to book a ferry crossing from Newhaven to Dieppe with DFDS and the website was playing silly b*****s, refusing my card. After a lot of burrowing around on their website (why is it they always do everything to stop you actually speaking to them?) I found a phone number for 'Channel bookings'. Called them this morning and was told 'Oh, this isn't the number for Newhaven - Dieppe'. Yes, but your website..... leave it, not worth arguing about.

Anyway, the lady then gave me a French number to call, which I did. Totally different reception, a delightful, pleasant French lady who spoke fluent English and actually seemed pleased that I wanted to use her company. So here's the important bit (at last, I hear you groan) - she asked me if I was over 60 and when I said yes I am, she said I get a 20% discount. 20%!! It made quite a difference to my one-way crossing with my campervan, so the potential savings for a large motorhome on a return journey would be significant.

So, the number to call is 0033 232144729.

Its only on Newhaven Dieppe,,,no reductions offered on other DFDS crossings,,shame. BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
@DavidG58 They count the wrinkles around your eyes to prove you are over 60(y)

As to why, well it might be a general thought that those over 60 are less wealthy and have no way of earning more than those who are younger :unsure: I am over 60 and not wealthy so shall say no more apart from what the heck can I do to earn more income.

Cant be bad off if you run a motorhome,,BUSBY:D2:D2:D2

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Been out on the town (or what passes for it in rural France) so I've just rejoined the discussion.

The lady asked me for my date of birth, so maybe they will check at the port. But I bet not.

As for WillH's point about not getting a discount on a pint of beer, that's true, but it takes us longer to get rid of it!
They scan your passport when booking in,,BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back