Reducing the payload!

Discussion in 'Funsters on a diet' started by Mark and Mindy, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy Funster

Ratings:
    +230
    Hi All

New to this part of the forum :)

I'll just do some background on us:

Mark and I have been struggling away with losing weight since the middle of May this year, he started at 17st 10lb and I was 22st 3lb. Since then he's been 14st 5lb although its creeping up and he's currently 14st 9lb; things don't work that smoothly for me and although I've been down to 20st 11lb (that was after a week of being really poorly with lack of appetite and inability to get out of bed!) my current weight is 21st 2lb.

He's reasonably healthy and very active - been doing diy over the whole of our house since Easter this year and he's just coming to the end of it, so he's up and down the stairs, painting, fixing, in the loft and then down to the garage, up and down, busy busy busy. When he's concentrating on what he's doing and not eating extras then the weight just seems to slide off and away, although I've caught him having "contraband" hence the upward movement.

I suffer from problems with my ankle which result in me being in dressings etc and too much pain to do much other than hobble round the house very slowly. I've been ok since the end of August (touch wood!), although I have had the aforementioned rotten bug. When I'm ok I walk the dogs every morning, at the moment I'm working towards an hour, I'm at 54 minutes, but I also need to walk a bit faster.

We're not following any specific "diet" as such because I think whatever we do has to be sustainable for life and not just done and then stopped. As I've got older its become harder and harder and all the pre-lightbulb moment of "omg so that's how to do it!" sessions of anything stupid for a quick weightloss which doesn't work and brings its friends when I give up have messed me up and my body is very very reluctant to let go of even a drop of fat!

I'm 57 and he's 55, I do all the meals for us both and he's clueless about what to eat as shown by my having a few nights away and he went back to the old naughty habits.

Now we want to get a motorhome and I've realised that we're using up rather a lot of the payload on our weights alone (me more than him obviously), we won't even think of buying until mid-2018 so there's plenty of time to work on it although at my current rate of loss it could well be not enough time, I'd need at least another 10 years and I want to enjoy my life and not keep putting things off.

I thought if I come here every week for "accountability" it will help me to focus my mind and work towards the end goal - not setting figures of how much to take off or where I'm going to as I don't remember being anything but overweight since my school days.

I've dusted off my saute & soup maker as a good lunch that's quick and easy, and ready to focus!

Mindy

• Love it Love it x 1
  2. The Dudess

The Dudess Funster

Ratings:
    +5,131
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Ratings:
    +5,062
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  4. TerryL

TerryL Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,187
    You're right when you say quick weight loss diets don't work. The only way to lose weight is the less in and/or more out method, in your case it's going to be the less in. It has to involve a complete change in lifestyle, what you eat etc. and you have to go for a slow steady loss, which is the only way of fooling your body not to keep storing it's reserves. We've tried different diet plans and actually found a carb-free protein diet worked best for us (but you have to watch for the side effects of constipation).

Incentive is a great help. A few years ago I was told to lose quite a lot of weight and, apart from changing my diet and also eating less, I drew up a graph with a guideline showing my target weight timeline, importantly not trying to be too ambitious so that I didn't give up when I couldn't keep up (down?). 2 lbs a week was easy to do but I actually found I could do double that without a problem.

Doing it with someone else is also a great incentive - that's how Weight Watchers works. Join the big Funster fat fight!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. WillH

WillH Funster

Ratings:
    +2,948
    Terry has it in a nutshell, eat less, exercise more. It works. Don't change what you eat, just have less, always, and take some exercise. This isn't a diet because you are still eating the same things. Once again, it works. Best of luck.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy Funster

Ratings:
    +230
    I remember watching my mother preparing her lunch to take to school (she was a teacher) and she had 1 slice of bread, a smear of butter and a couple of slices of cheese and that was it together with an apple and I remember thinking how little it was. Since then I've worked out that I just don't need to eat massive quantities, at the moment I'm having porridge for breakfast with a spoon of coconut oil in it and nothing else (its made with whole milk as I changed us over last year), lunch is home made soup with 1 slice of heavily seeded bread, toasted and chopped to use as croutons, dinner is something protein with a pile of vegetables (and a blob of butter).

I've tried the low carb route but for me that involves not having things that I really do want, denial isn't an option because sooner or later I'll fall off the wagon and just go mad. I've incorporated low carbing into what I do but very carefully, so while I do have porridge for breakfast its what Mark looked at in horror and said "is that it? there's hardly anything there!". My soup at lunchtime is homemade so that I know what's in it, I try to eat sparingly of the below ground starchy vegetables, plus that slice of toast (small loaf, medium sliced). Dinner might be something like roast belly pork with a pile of sprouts and runner beans. I would say that I eat very well, just smaller portions because I'm working on need and not want :)

Although the quality of the food has gone up significantly due to not snacking and staying away from sugar I've found that because I'm eating a lot less my food expenditure has gone down.

My absolute downfall is sugar or anything sugary, I can stay away from it relatively easily but if I have something in a moment of weakness then its so hard to stop, for me its addictive once I have the taste but not so addictive that I have it all the time.

Oh, and I hate the phrase "a diet" because for me that is like saying that I'm only doing it for a period and then stopping, that isn't an option at all, so I've changed my diet but its a life change and not a temporary one.

• Like it Like it x 2
  7. rich g

rich g Funster

Ratings:
    +640
    I have tried many diets and the only one that has worked for me is the 5-2 diet as you eat as normal for 5days and for 2 days you only have 600 calories.
    I like it because with other diets you think o no same again tomorrow but with the 5-2 diet you know you can eat normal tomorrow.
    Good luck with whatever you try there is no such thing as an easy fix.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +21,646
    If you have struggled with weight loss for a long time despite diets, exercise etc please ask your GP just in case you have an endocrine issue. They are rare but you never know.

With some endocrine issues less in plus more out = collapse or / and organ failure.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. TerryL

TerryL Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,187
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day - it's time to break the nighttime fast (no food). Your body needs to replenish it's resources, but that doesn't mean, of course, that you should gorge yourself. Porridge is an excellent breakfast and adding fresh fruit also helps to replace the body sugars - don't go adding that refined stuff. After that you find that you don't need so much to fill you up as the day progresses. The "diet" that you outline looks absolutely fine and if you keep at it, you WILL lose weight. But as I said earlier, gradually so that it stays off. Try the progress graph that I used, gives you a target to aim for.

I should point out that I have no actual qualifications in this respect. However a (good) few years ago I was involved in the marketing and selling of a "diet plan". Part of the training included a study of nutrition and how the body uses the fuel you provide. That particular product was very successful in promoting weight loss but wasn't imaginative enough in it's variety so it was discontinued. Since then I have experimented with a number of different "plans", concluding that the old-fashioned way of "a little of what you fancy does you good" works best, the emphasis being on LITTLE.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,056
    On the subject of porridge - which I know is excellent - but I only eat it occasionally these days. Main reason, when it is cooked, I find it really needs a significant amount of sweetening to get a decent taste. Might be just my pallet?

Instead, I prefer to soak the raw oats in cold milk (usually soya in my case) and then add fresh chopped apple and / or other fruit for sweetening. Find it requires much less sweetening than cooked porridge. I also add a desert spoonful of ground seeds and really enjoy it.

It's been my normal daily breakfast for almost 12 years. Although, occasionally have a boiled egg instead.

• Like it Like it x 2
  11. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Ratings:
    +23,128
    Hiya,
    Before the last year , I could do the 5/2 and drop 1/2 a stone within a couple of weeks.
    I’m under a consultant at the moment , women’s problems . My hormones are all over the place and im finding it a lot harder to do atm. But I’m staying around 13.3 / 13.6 . Maintaining, rather than gaining. But I can’t get under the 13 stone level.

I’m trying to be healthy with Ralph, doing as the doctor told him , by reducing his bad fat intake . He had high cholesterol even though to look at him you’d never think.
    So from what you’ve just said above , Instead of having belly pork ( high fat) try fish . Ive found you can buy frozen fillets flavoured with various spices in packs of two from Iceland. Very quick and easy . After work.
    Or big bags of frozen fish fillets ( salmon, cod, haddock etc ) that you can fold up in tinfoil add olive oil and herbs and spices yourself . Or chicken fillets. Both less fat than belly pork
    Iceland also do frozen mixed beans and pulses in trays. You can ping these ever so quick in the microwave .
    Huge bags of frozen spinach in blocks , so good for you i add it to soups stews pasta and risotto dishes ,To bulk up your plate , without vast calories. Very cheap and excellent quality.

Make your porridge by soaking your oats in water. We don’t add milk anymore. But if you want more creaminess try some low fat / no fat quark Greek yoghurt in it or skimmed milk.
    We also add pumpkin and sunflower seeds plus ground flax and linseed ( the latter from Aldi again ) I get a huge bag of giant mornflake oats for only £3.50 . Same place. We have it every morning now.
    Instead of a “blob” of butter try some olive oil.
    All little changes but they’ll make a difference . Good fat/ bad fat wise.

You can buy sugar free sweets like worthingtons toffees mmmm etc so you get the sweetness without the actual sugar / calories too.

I’ve started making a flapjack for Ralph’s very sweet tooth. He could eat a pack of biscuits at work on his break. But being a builder , burn the calories off.
    But unfortunately not the cholesterol.
    I make it using coconut oil and honey instead of butter and sugar. Using big oats, chopped mixed nuts and mixed seeds, dried goji or mixed berries . You can get mixed packs/ tubs in Aldi and I just wack them in the mix. It’s yummy.
    Sweet , filling , but best of all good for you.
    We’ve managed to get Ralph’s cholesterol level right down. His bad cholesterol is almost negligible now.
    The doctor said he’d never seen anyone , in his whole career , reduce his bad levels so much in 6 weeks without the use of statins.
    Think on we’d had a week of debauchary at Whitby , for Goth weekend .

We’d eaten fish and chips 5 days running in the middle of his 6 weeks for a week ( between fasting blood tests ) plus drank like fishes every day ! He’d also lost 1/2 a stone and hes not fat in the slightest before doing this 6 week doctors recommended diet changes.
    You never know a few of these little changes / tweeks may help .

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    • Like it Like it x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy Funster

Ratings:
    +230
    We spent some time with a dietician earlier this year, and discussed all the different options on eating and having prepared a sample menu for her on what we'd both eaten for the previous 4 weeks we went through it to try and work out what, when and why - made shocking reading :eek:

We tried various ideas on a theme as to what works and what doesn't and I came to the conclusion that I'd rather have less of full fat than more of no/low fat due to the sugar content. I don't need as much because it keeps me fuller for longer, I don't want to feel like I'm on a diet and that I'm being forced to eat things that I wouldn't usually eat. I would say that sugar is my downfall rather than fat, I'm blessed by not being bothered by things like fish & chips and don't actually like chocolate that much although if someone has an open box of chocs then I won't say no :LOL: but I don't buy it for myself.

Any fish or meat I eat has to be moist, can't be dry in any way or I can't swallow it and grilled with a sauce isn't enough, has to be cooked in a "moist way". When I said about belly pork, that would be 1 meal for me that week and Mark will have it cold the next day as well. I used to make cakes but as I'm the only one who eats them then I've stopped, a friend suggested slicing and freezing, all I'm going to say is that frozen cake tastes just as good as just made or defrosted! I have no willpower and prefer not to test it. I still eat cake though, I might meet a friend for a coffee and slice of cake.

I try to only have the sweet things where I don't have access to more than 1, and because I'm trying to eat naturally then artificial sweeteners are out as I don't like the taste or the desperation for more and more because I've got the need for something else sweet.

I've come to the conclusion that trying to reduce body size, fat etc is a very personal thing and there is no "one true way" just like 1 size fits all, it doesn't as I'm tall and large and prefer the waistband of tights to come higher than across the thighs!

Mark has lost 3 times as much weight as me in the period we've been doing this but our bodies have shrunk the same amount and I put that down to him being reasonably active, having lots of testosterone and a decent muscle base, compared to me who wasn't that active, no testosterone! and a lot more fat than muscle. I'm down 4cm overall but 5cm on the thighs and that's the walking I think.

• Like it Like it x 1
  13. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Ratings:
    +23,128
    Yes . I’m tall too 5.11 and I know what you mean about the tights !
    Thankfully I don’t have to wear them often .
    I also get , the husband losing weight whilst eating more than you bit too .
    Sooo annoying .
    I’m blaming my hormones at the moment with being menopausal .
    I’m with the “ a little bit of what you fancy does you good “ group .
    Plus remember the saying .......
    there’s no wrinkles on a balloon :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  14. Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy Funster

Ratings:
    +230
    Well, just today to go and I'm back to concentrating on what I'm doing - I decided over Christmas to eat what I fancied because I didn't want to go down the "denial" route, I've enjoyed eating things that I wouldn't usually, put on a few pounds and very happy to be going back to eating sensibly again!

My ankle has also ulcerated again but nearly healed and for it to be healed in just under 4 weeks is amazing for me, I put it down to me catching it early but also lots of walking when I could and eating sensibly (except over the Christmas period). To put it into perspective, I've been in dressings for all but about 8 weeks of 2017, I'd like not to have so many problems next year but in many ways its outside my control.

No new year's resolutions for me.. don't believe in them. Why on earth would I want to make it something special when I could be doing "whatever it is" already and not waiting for a special date to come along! Instead I'm focussing on doing the best I can each day and keeping in mind the word "mindful", that way I will make a decision to have something extra occasionally but not just have because its there or if we're out, just because everyone else is.

Onwards and downwards (y)

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Love it Love it x 1
  15. Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy Funster

Ratings:
    +230
    Further update to getting on with losing weight.

We watched the Tom Kerridge programme on BBC2 a couple of nights ago and loved the food he was making, good food, calorie counted, freshly made and, because there are just the 2 of us eating it, most meals will do at least 2 days if not 3. I don't mind standing in the kitchen cooking if I'm not doing it for every meal every day!

I did use MFP (my fitness pal) at one point but logging every individual thing that I was eating got me down in the end, especially having to put in every ingredient in a recipe that wasn't pre-calorie counted, its great for being connected to our scales and the step counter on my iPhone but I just can't be doing with the individual logging.

I was a bit depressed with not seeing how to lose weight without the misery that comes with cutting things out, plus the grim realisation that if I lose 1lb a week its going to take me the best part of 2.5 years on the basis that there are going to be some weeks where I lose nothing, or even put on a bit.

I did find it easier to eat healthily in the summer with lots of salads but I'm not into salad in the winter!

If anybody else watched the programme I made the muffins he made, the ones with banana, raisins and apples, at 196 calories each they may seem somewhat high but they're incredibly filling - there's no fat in them at all and I'd say the texture was a cross between sponge and soda bread. There was a lot of chopping for the apples, and prep involving 3 mixing bowls and a pan with the apples but they were easy to make and taste good. I've worked out how many calories I should be eating to lose weight and seem to have rather a lot to play with, I had 2 muffins as I can "afford" them, but they're so filling that I definitely wasn't ready for lunch 5 hours later.

I got his book for the kindle and got it loaded on a laptop to use in the kitchen, and I'm working on my next week's menu and will start officially on Monday - so counting calories, using Tom's recipes for the next 3 months at least on the basis that most cover multiple days which works well for us. Made myself a spreadsheet for 3 meals plus extras (such as hot drinks (coffee, tea), slice of bread.

I don't think it harms to mix things up, and to be honest I'll be really happy to lose 1 pound a week.

16. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Ratings:
    +5,062
    That’s great, but try and stick to one muffin next time!:whistle:

• Like it Like it x 1
  17. Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy Funster

Ratings:
    +230
    well yes, but I have a lot of calories to play with so thought that I might need 2... soooo filling! ;)

• Like it Like it x 1
  18. Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy Funster

Ratings:
    +230
    First week done and I've lost 4.5lb!!!

Pretty amazing for me when usually its only around 0.5lb a week. I've followed the recipes, and we've eaten some wonderful food - good size portions and they really do taste good. Mark has become a courgette convert - 30 years of marriage and I've finally cracked his vegetable eating!

I've also done 39k steps over the week and I've been discharged from the clinic - another couple of good achievements.

I'm just going to keep plodding along as I am, the food is to die for, the flavour explosion is really something else and with decent sized portions I feel like I've had a meal.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  19. Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy Funster

Ratings:
    +230
    Its been a couple of weeks since I posted, 1.5lb down as of this morning with a bit of bouncing round in between.

We've had days out and inappropriate eating due to the difficulties of not ending up with ordering too much and leaving the bad stuff - I don't want to order 2 meals and pick out the healthy food and leave the not so good on the side; and because I've had a not so good main then it leads me into temptation with a dessert!

My birthday today and I've decided to have fruit crumble and custard as my treat and not the large slices of cake that I'd much rather have (y)

Homemade turkey burgers for lunch (the same amount of grated courgette as minced turkey with lots of seasoning), and chicken casserole with lots of green veg and the crumble tonight, I think that's a good day of food.

I love the bit on Tom Kerridge's programme where he says that its no coincidence that the first 3 letters of DIET are DIE - if I think I'm on a diet then it becomes an excuse to fall off and not bother to get back on again, but if its a way of eating then its easier to allow something and just carry on - I'm too good at excuses and not good enough at keeping things going.

20. petrocspals

petrocspals Funster

Ratings:
    +65
    You are doing so well. I think Tom is inspirational because he has been there,knows how difficult it is when you really love your food. Are you a good cook? Sounds like you really enjoy it.