Reduced fuel consumption and extra power (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I was interested in how much it cost, not in any way to criticise anyone's choice, but because my OE exhaust, now 6 years old will not last for ever, and if it needs replacement then it makes sense to replace it with something better that will probably outlast me.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I was interested in how much it cost, not in any way to criticise anyone's choice, but because my OE exhaust, now 6 years old will not last for ever, and if it needs replacement then it makes sense to replace it with something better that will probably outlast me.

In my opinion there are only advantages in upgrading to this system. We all know that if you want a quality it from a company that has a good reputation you are going to pay more than you would for a lower quality product. If you look at prices for exhausts from the top quality manufacturers you will find the Vortex is not the dearest

Of you do higher mileage the Vortex becomes even cheaper and when you sell your van it will male it more attractive to prospective buyers.

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob

i hope thats not true....may you outlast any exhaust, even a vortex one :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have given my feedback on this thread to Vortex.

They are keen to get more of their systems out to motorhomes so that more people can give reports on the their experience.

Now here's the good bit. They are going to give a large discount!!

I have been told that the first 10 people who order a system will get the discount. Vortex have given me a wad of leaflets to give out to anyone interested at the Peterborough show.

I have been instructed to only let people know the discounted price at the Peterborough show to prevent this thread becoming a price discussion.

I am not an agent for Vortex and will not earn one penny from doing this, I am impressed with the system and the company.

So please come and see me at stand 127A

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We drove over to Peterborough yesterday in strong winds. The van drove the full distance of the A1 in 5th, which was surprising as the wind was strong. I usually do the return run with the low fuel warning light on before leaving the A1 so it will be very interesting to see how we go.

The van was defiantly quieter than before the exhaust was fitted.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Does it actually matter? Jezports obviously loves his van and is a happy bunny now he has had it fitted.

Just read his post and see the pride he has in it.

Peter

Well said Peter, seems a lot of people try to share their experiences, thoughts and ideas on here only to have people give negative feedback, negative comments and thoughts that maybe better off if kept to themselves :thumb:

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Don't worry, if I find a product or company that I have used and I am impressed with I will continue to let members know about them.

I have bought things that other members have posted about as I don't always believe claims made about products from sellers, but a report from. a person who owns and uses a product is more interesting and believeable to me.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
So after driving to Peterborough in strong wind and then driving home in normal weather I can report that I achieved around an extra 1.5 to 2.0 MPG than I would usually expect. I normally see between 16*5 and 17 MPG on this trip but this time I got 18.5mpg.My kids could hear me more easily and the quieter engine noise made driving less stressfulI once again managed the whole of the A1 part of the journey in 5th gear, possibly one of the reasons why the fuel economy improved.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
what you need is a proper heavy gauge mild steel exhaust.

mines been on from new...13 years old and, though a bit rusty, is solid and will remain so for a long time yet. :thumb:

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
what you need is a proper heavy gauge mild steel exhaust.

mines been on from new...13 years old and, though a bit rusty, is solid and will remain so for a long time yet. :thumb:

My old propper heavy one was rotten and hung too low. I now have a lot quieter cab even though the old system was not leaking yet.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We're off to Newbury on Thursday. Its a 400 mile return trip so I will report back my MPG.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Last weekend I went to a cub scout camp near Bromsgrove.
I travelled in convoy with a 2.8jtd Citroen 3.5ton Curtain sider with an aerodynamic spoiler fitted above the cab.

So we both had the same engine, However my van was pulling 4.5ton and has an extra axle and a less aerodynamic and larger body.

We both drove the same speed and took it in turns leading

The van used £95.00 of diesel over 288 miles averaging just over 19MPG
The motorhome used £86.00 of diesel over 288miles averaging just over 21MPG

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
For my last tank of diesel I thought that I would drive more carefully around 60 mph on motorways etc. I still was running near max weight and didn't stick behind trucks slipstreaming but did drive more gently.
I got 25.8mpg. I've never had more than 22mpg in the past so can't believe the difference.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I haven't been a member of this forum for very long so forgive me if I'm jumping to conclusions. But, it seems to me that the the negative or positive response people get to posting their upgrades or purchases are directly related to how much it cost. To be more precise, and it's a subtle but important difference, how much they were prepared to spend in spite of the relative benefits.

We all love the posts where somebody reveals how they fashioned from nothing a far less expensive alternative that works just as good. Who doesn't like to save money. But when someone wishes to spend a lot of money on something that's important to them, that interests them, they're often on the receiving end of negativity. As soon as I see a post posing the question......"how much?"....or..."ball park figure"?? I wince as for sure, if it cost more than a night out at the flicks in 1977, I know what will follow.

I for one will never answer the 'How much' question again. Indeed, I am reluctant to post anything regarding upgrades that cost significant sums of money. It doesn't mean your wealthy and stupid because you buy something that within the life expectancy of your van, has no clear monetary return. It simply means you have the money to do it and it gives you pleasure. My hydraulic levelling jacks cost a fortune relative to the yellow ramps that used to frustrate the shit out of me (...."tosser...???") but I can tell you there is nothing that gives me more pleasure than pressing that button and watching six tons level itself out (...."six tons?? why does he need one so big?"....). Ok, there are some things that give me more pleasure, but thats for another post. On another forum.........!

G[HI]ood on you for spending the money on an exhaust that gives you so much satisfaction and who cares if you never get a complete return on your investment! You already have. The return is not simply recouping the cost, if it was, who the hell would even buy a van in the first place? The return is the subtle, warm glow when you feel the choice you made works. And if it only works for you, who cares.[/HI]

And yes, I know, a forum is there for all to post their opinions. But there is a difference between an opinion and a veiled......"pfah! I wouldn't be a stupid as you...." Come on, thats not an opinion, thats a jibe.

Anyway, I've just looked out of the window of the van and the sun just made itself known so I'm orf up the spiral staircase at the back of the van to chill out in my roof top spa pool and watch a bit of telly on me pop-up 92" plasma if the winds not too strong............that is of course, if nobody minds?..........:Cool:

There will always be miserable sods whose only view is I could have got it cheaper
nice to hear a story of someone who wants it done better, good luck to you.

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Latest
We travelled to the Peterborough show this weekend and we averaged 20.89mpg. Every trip we have made since fitting the vortex we have seen improved economy compared to before. I have seen over 22mpg on a couple of occasions. I have calculated that I am seeing 11% better economy so I am still happy with the system

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Jezport,
Having read this post from the start again and having seen the slide show I can fully understand your decision and your recent posts absolutely justify the expense for not just the mpg but the aesthetic benefits of sound etc.
I posted a while ago that following surgery my van had stood for far to long,we have 2 year Controle Technique(MOT) here in France.
Briefly whilst cleaning and prepping it I discovered vast loss of performance and loads of black smoke.I do my own maintenance and the van is 14 yrs old,fuel filter and oil and filter changed,no difference,Italian tune up :ROFLMAO:tried to clear its lungs,no difference.Bottom line,replaced the front pipe with a bean sized cat which to replace alone was €1200 with a straight pipe at €120!!
2000 was a changeover year and straight swop,result instant improvement in economy about 200 Kms per tank,smoother,quieter and faster acceleration,she is a weedy 1.9 Td .Before anyone starts,emissions were far lower at the test.

I worked with a very experienced truck mechanic who whenever had a test failure on emissions would firstly rip off the entire exhaust system and replace,drastic yes but he said even doing nothing more would virtually always pass the retest.
My hobby is motorbikes,always change pipe for freer flowing and the same with air filter,K&N's have worked for me for years,MH has one as well.
Like others have said money well spent,enjoy the difference :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I haven't been a member of this forum for very long so forgive me if I'm jumping to conclusions. But, it seems to me that the the negative or positive response people get to posting their upgrades or purchases are directly related to how much it cost. To be more precise, and it's a subtle but important difference, how much they were prepared to spend in spite of the relative benefits.

We all love the posts where somebody reveals how they fashioned from nothing a far less expensive alternative that works just as good. Who doesn't like to save money. But when someone wishes to spend a lot of money on something that's important to them, that interests them, they're often on the receiving end of negativity. As soon as I see a post posing the question......"how much?"....or..."ball park figure"?? I wince as for sure, if it cost more than a night out at the flicks in 1977, I know what will follow.

I for one will never answer the 'How much' question again. Indeed, I am reluctant to post anything regarding upgrades that cost significant sums of money. It doesn't mean your wealthy and stupid because you buy something that within the life expectancy of your van, has no clear monetary return. It simply means you have the money to do it and it gives you pleasure. My hydraulic levelling jacks cost a fortune relative to the yellow ramps that used to frustrate the shit out of me (...."tosser...???") but I can tell you there is nothing that gives me more pleasure than pressing that button and watching six tons level itself out (...."six tons?? why does he need one so big?"....). Ok, there are some things that give me more pleasure, but thats for another post. On another forum.........!

Good on you for spending the money on an exhaust that gives you so much satisfaction and who cares if you never get a complete return on your investment! You already have. The return is not simply recouping the cost, if it was, who the hell would even buy a van in the first place? The return is the subtle, warm glow when you feel the choice you made works. And if it only works for you, who cares.

And yes, I know, a forum is there for all to post their opinions. But there is a difference between an opinion and a veiled......"pfah! I wouldn't be a stupid as you...." Come on, thats not an opinion, thats a jibe.

Anyway, I've just looked out of the window of the van and the sun just made itself known so I'm orf up the spiral staircase at the back of the van to chill out in my roof top spa pool and watch a bit of telly on me pop-up 92" plasma if the winds not too strong............that is of course, if nobody minds?..........:Cool:

I totally agree with this person and the Funster who originally purchased the Vortex exhaust system for his motorhome.......I would do just the same
"I would purchase one".. ....why not
When you have spent around 15,000 to 200,000+ on a new or second hand motorhome why wouldn't you..it is another item you can forget about when having your motorhome M.O.T peace of mind....it seems most motorhomes if not all European motorhomes you can not buy a standard exhaust of a good quality or even of a sub standard off the shelf for a motorhome...it seems most people that have motorhomes and need a replacement exhaust have to have one made up / chopped and re-welded to fit....at what cost...and how long will it last you, and how good is it:Doh:
Up to press we have had no need to replace any of my motorhomes exhaust systems as yet....but it will come.
I think a good stainless steel exhaust system is a asset to any motorhome one that is well thought out and tried and tested by a good quality company:thumb:......no matter what you have paid.
Like the original Funster said just look what people pay for a sat dish...a dome just to watch the TV....and other items ...wifi, laptops, tablets, smart phones, boosters etc:

Good on you:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I experience this ALL the time :ROFLMAO: If you put bottles on a fence people will throw stones :Cool: Posting your work or your purchases is a contribution to the general good whether people appreciate it or not. ALL feedback is valuable neg or pos as it's not about convincing people of anything but offering ideas/choices. I hope no one gives up :thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Regarding the exhaust, for me with left hand drive it's a no brainer to have a custom made SS but Tony Banks (Leeds) is only a mile from me and I will use him when the time comes.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
:RollEyes:Jezport
I presume this is a complete exhaust system end to end as Gary had asked you...so that should include a cat/converter....
So what I am saying the funster has paid a good price...:thumb:

Ho much would it cost if purchased a new catalyst converter box only.. over 400 plus...in mild steel

And after 12 good years with my Picasso Exculsive 2 ltr diesel from new, no trouble. passed every MOT/control technique.....and just passed again yesterday.. as our friend is buying the car from us to have over here in France in his new home.(the car is registered in France)..
When you sell a second hand motor over here in France... it must have at least 6 months M.O.T...as there was only 5 months left running, we had the Picasso tested yesterday.. passed :thumb:OK...our friend now has two years M.O.T control technique. and may I say.. still is a good car runs and looks like new..

Our new car is on the way in the next few weeks..(after 12 years of one car), we was ready for a change (the old Picasso had 48,208miles 77,852km on the clock)..

Our new car is due any day now ...2014 3008 Allure, diesel..auto.7 years warranty..7 years breakdown...with all the extra toys...lovely:thumb:::bigsmile:...

On reading this post it seems US YARKSHIRE FOLK....jezport, tec100, and my self Heyupluv....we may have long pockets with trouble reaching our brass:RollEyes::winky::winky::ROFLMAO:.when buying a round of drinks...but when required we do spend gud brass when it's needed for gud quality ::bigsmile::RollEyes:...NOT like the TIGHT WADS...that some seem to be:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I hadn't seen this thread before but on reading the OP my thought was if a new exhaust can give a 10% improvement in MPG why are they not fitted by the vehicle manufacturer? In the highly competitive world of LGVs a 10% advantage over the opposition would be a winner.

Making it out of stainless steel is a different issue. Manufacturers don't generally fit SS exhaust systems because the first purchaser of the vehicle is unlikely to gain any benefit from the higher initial cost as they will have disposed of the vehicle before the exhaust needs replacing. However, for a vehicle you intend to keep for a long time it could be a good purchase as a replacement for the original.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I hadn't seen this thread before but on reading the OP my thought was if a new exhaust can give a 10% improvement in MPG why are they not fitted by the vehicle manufacturer? In the highly competitive world of LGVs a 10% advantage over the opposition would be a winner.

Making it out of stainless steel is a different issue. Manufacturers don't generally fit SS exhaust systems because the first purchaser of the vehicle is unlikely to gain any benefit from the higher initial cost as they will have disposed of the vehicle before the exhaust needs replacing. However, for a vehicle you intend to keep for a long time it could be a good purchase as a replacement for the original.

It's not the extra mpg % I was interested in...that is neither here or there for me.. it was the replacement of a exhaust of quality that last's..like in your second paragraph:thumb:

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Regarding the exhaust, for me with left hand drive it's a no brainer to have a custom made SS but Tony Banks (Leeds) is only a mile from me and I will use him when the time comes.
He was the first person I tried, he didnt repy to my email for weeks, and that's when I'm interested in buying, imagine how long he would take to reply if I had an after sales issue. Anyhow the vortex sytem is in a different ballpark. A lot of stainless steel systems are built from a selection of bent pipes pre made and welded and u bolted up. My vortex system consisted of a fully custom made to measure sections with boxes to a spec agreed between me and vortex. There are no U bolts and the silencers and vortex are TIG welded seamlessly. A lot of people see the word stainless steel and think that its a word that means quality, and believe me it aint.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
the CAT is the the key & De-Catting a diesel makes a huge difference plus it is not required for the MOT

my ol T4 2.5 of which I pushed the engine to the max was a total different machine once I cut out the cat however I did hav a short sports side exhaust ::bigsmile:

without going overboard like I did on my T4 an Air filter, EGR delete & De-Cat can make a huge difference...

Sift

Free Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ringwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2014 :O
Last weekend I went to a cub scout camp near Bromsgrove.
I travelled in convoy with a 2.8jtd Citroen 3.5ton Curtain sider with an aerodynamic spoiler fitted above the cab.

So we both had the same engine, However my van was pulling 4.5ton and has an extra axle and a less aerodynamic and larger body.

We both drove the same speed and took it in turns leading

The van used £95.00 of diesel over 288 miles averaging just over 19MPG
The motorhome used £86.00 of diesel over 288miles averaging just over 21MPG
Were you sat 4 feet from his bumper in the slipstream all the way? :winky:
Only joking, I'm not a doubter and am glad you're happy with it.

Cheers,
Lee.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Were you sat 4 feet from his bumper in the slipstream all the way? :winky:
Only joking, I'm not a doubter and am glad you're happy with it.

Cheers,
Lee.

It was a true test as both vans had the same engine, onnly the other had less weight and a more aerodynamic shape. Not one of these lab tests that is manipulated to show figures thatthe manufacturer likes.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi!!

I think this sounds like an excellent idea.

My van is a bit old and slow and I would love to up the performance and MPG if even only a little.

You mentioned that the first 10 members to contact would get a discount. Did you find 10 members interested in this? Who should I contact regards this?

I am planning a lot of miles over the next few years, and think if this only makes 10% efficiency savings (Their web site claims up to 20% but I am trying to use more realistic figures for my old van!) it would pay for itself in 18 months. Plus it would reduce my emissions! Win/win! :thumb:

So - let me know who to call! Thank you! :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back