Red Mist (1 Viewer)

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Is it me ? I can drive the car quite normally, sensible speed etc not too fast not too slow, no problem. Drive the MH in the same fashion not too fast not too slow and the vehicles behind will do anything to overtake, the more dangerous the overtaking manoeuvre the better, corners, hills, they've just got to get past ! Maybe it is me oh well.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I get the same in MH and Defender..and to an extent, the Fiat 500.

I think people get wound up following a bigger vehicle as they can't see ahead, and they think they can bully the Fiat. It's particularly prevalent in the Fiat in 30 limits..

What's more frustrating is that they bust a gut to overtake, then end up going more slowly than you want to...

Luckily since retirement I'm much more chilled and take the view that "they must be having a really terrible life if every few seconds saved on a journey is that important" , and laugh smugly to myself

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
And the really silly thing is that being younger than most of us who drive motorhomes the kamikaze pilots behind have far more seconds to waste than we do!

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
I don't think its just small cars, moho's and caravans where this happens. I have the same problem with a V8 sports car. The number of people who are happily cruising at 60 mph and catch me up then want to overtake me and cruise ahead at 70 mph.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I don't think its just small cars, moho's and caravans where this happens. I have the same problem with a V8 sports car. The number of people who are happily cruising at 60 mph and catch me up then want to overtake me and cruise ahead at 70 mph.

I found that when I had MG and the Sunbeams, there was always some idiot in a Sigma, W H Y , that wanted to take you on, particularly at Traffic Lights.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Try being female :( . It makes no difference what you are driving but they sudfenly decide they need to put their foot down and overtake ..........THEN go back to the slower speed. Grrrrrrrrrrr

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I find French drivers the worst at this, theywill follow you for mile after mile on perfectly straight roads but then as soon as a bend comes into view they overtake you, seen it loads of times, just can't make out why(n)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
All is not lost folks(y)

Airbus announced this week they are going to make a small flying Car. Design is already in progress, and they are hoping to have a prototype ready for testing by the end of the year :dance2:

Reactions: Pia

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I find that drivers of German cars are shite whatever I'm driving, whether it's a Fiat Panda or the MH.

They're especially keen to pull out of side roads too late when it's the MH.

With the Panda I get more hassle from Tonka 4x4 drivers, especially on country lanes, often driving towards me in the middle of the road.

OP
OP
motorhomewave
Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Just as another observation....you never see a Ferrari or an Aston Martin tearing up the tarmac.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
All is not lost folks(y)

Airbus announced this week they are going to make a small flying Car. Design is already in progress, and they are hoping to have a prototype ready for testing by the end of the year :dance2:
I liked the quote by the UK CEO of Airbus when he was asked what would happen to the Airbus after Brexit (bearing in mind the wings are made in the uK)
"It would just become a bus wouldnt it?" He replied.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I find French drivers the worst at this, theywill follow you for mile after mile on perfectly straight roads but then as soon as a bend comes into view they overtake you, seen it loads of times, just can't make out why(n)
And you can slow to nearly a stop and they do too.
UK plates does have an effect too. They hate being behind a damned foreigner.:D

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And you can slow to nearly a stop and they do too.
UK plates does have an effect too. They hate being behind a damned foreigner.

And they don't seem to understand pulling over to the gutter, slowing down slightly and flipping on the right indicator on a perfectly straight road ie, "Would you like to overtake me, (or do you like driving up my Ar$e)"

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
And they don't seem to understand pulling over to the gutter, slowing down slightly and flipping on the right indicator on a perfectly straight road ie, "Would you like to overtake me, (or do you like driving up my Ar$e)"

Are you talking here or abroad? I always flick on the LH indicator in GB to show it is safe to pass BUT a lot of people seem to think I intend pulling in or turning off, so they bide their time until I do so :whistle: (which, of course, I dont :LOL:).

On the other hand, my son insists that putting on his RH indicator in UK indicates that it is safe to pass :rolleyes:.

Obviously, we both reverse our rules when abroad (or at least in those countries which drive on the RHS!).

Gordon

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OK - shoe on other foot.

Burstner's Finest Hour.

We were on a dual carriageway in Switzerland. In the distance road works reduced it to single lane.

I was in the outside lane. Both lanes crawling.

Quite early cars start to signal left and with great difficulty they push in to the left.

I became number two, ahead a Range Rover signalling left, on the inside three Porsches with all the go faster stripes. Determined not to let the Rangey in they set off with wheelspin to go less than a car's length. Eventually the Rangey got in and I am head of the queue sat next to three Porshes with go faster stripes with would be Schumakers driving them. Ahead about 100 yards left of my carriageway, I floored it and near the front someone let me straight in.

I would have given anything to see the faces on the Porsche drivers.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
I had a driver in France trying to pass me on country road but unlike him I was watching the police car behind him and I stuck to the speed limit. When he eventually got past at around 20 kph over the limit the police car followed and nicked him.

The Mad Jock

Free Member
Dec 29, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Since 2016
I hate it when you are driving in the 50mph average speed camera zones at 50mph and you get vehicles like some Lorries right up your rear and flashing lights to go faster. It is just so stupid really as points don't make prizes in them situations.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I hate it when you are driving in the 50mph average speed camera zones at 50mph and you get vehicles like some Lorries right up your rear and flashing lights to go faster. It is just so stupid really as points don't make prizes in them situations.
On some occasions when not in a particularly good mood I have stopped , got out & asked them what the problem is ?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I refuse to get wound up by it - I'm blowed if I'm going to have a stress induced heart attack cos of twats like them.

What does REALLY wind me up though in/on any vehicle on any road anywhere, is being behind anyone, driving/riding any other vehicle whose intentions are unfathomable!

If I can't reasonably pass them - I'd rather drop back than stay behind them.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Just last week not using the toll road in spain heading towards San Sebastian Bilbao road quite happy cruise control on 60 mph. A lorry up behind me flashing lights air horn going. The only conclusion I could think is his cruise control or lorry is restricted to 62 mph as this seems to be there motorway cruising speed. Did I let him pass, no. Did he have to apply his brakes much more if he hadn't flashed me, yes on numerous occasions. The more he blew his horn the louder my stereo went. One of my most enjoyable 30 mile drives.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
IT's not YOU it's that damned Top Gear they THINK you are driving a CARAVAN

AND Thanks to the big mouthed idiot JC thye are encouraged to treat caravans (and therefore Motorhomes because they are THICK) like shit
The number of times I have seen Motorhomes being overtaken and the surprise is shown when they don't pull in after overtaking expecting a car to be there

One point not all of them win!
I have tugged for over 20 years and have pulled away from traffic lights faster in my diesels because of their high power despite being hampered by the caravan
Also seen some damn near misses when they do overtake far too late for their safety and laughed when the next car coming past has blue lights on and pulled them

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
When you have "from Scotland" stickers they give a friendly toot, blow kisses at you, invite you into their homes for a meal, give discount without asking, offer their most beautiful daughter as a bride, and sprinkle rose petals before you.

Why do you ones find yourselves enveloped in mire and cocooned with grief. Next time at specsavers ask for the special rose tint to your lenses, life becomes so much more enjoyable !

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I found it far worse when I was a tugger. The biggest problem I found was the idiots who would pull out in front of you from side roads, just so they are not behind a caravan, and then proceed at 30 or 40 MPH.

You get that a lot with a caravan,,i thought i was invisible,,started driving with headlights on all the time,,BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back