Red Kite having breakfast in our tree this morning (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Lovely bit of film, we often see Red Kites over our garden but have only seen one land in one of our trees.

What camera?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I miss the Red Kites. They were a constant companion in our fields when we lived in Wales. Its about all I do miss though.
For the memories……..

9459C0DC-B6C9-4EE1-9947-803A7FF33EB0.jpeg

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Red Kites moved into our area a few years back, rare at first now they are regular locals. Initially I kept hearing this unusual high pitched squawk noise, but could not see where it was coming from. Their numbers increased and can now be seen regularly all over Camberley, especially down at TinaL's allotments where I guess there are better pickings for them.
I dont know if its a coincidence, but thankfully Magpie numbers have diminished in our garden, between the crows & the Red kites but something is deterring them.(y)
All the best.
LES

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
A nesting pair was introduced to the field where my cricket pitch was (Abbots Ripton, just north of Huntingdon) and they have multiplied tremendously across to the A1 corridor (no idea how many are off spring or introduced pairs). What surprised me most was how close they would come to me whilst chugging up and down the pitch on the ancient rolling machine (used an old Ford Prefect engine). They would happily swoop down to within 20 feet on occasion but the moment I stepped off the roller they were off! I assume they ignore the big metal beasts rolling up and down roads but are naturally wary of the human form?

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
A few years ago we were away and our daughter called to bring the post in and check around, she let herself in and walked through to the kitchen the blind was down and when she pulled it up there was a sparrow hawk in the back garden with a pigeon, she went and opened the back door and the sparrow hark dragged the pigeon into the bushes and shielded it with its wings looking back over its shoulder at her, your not pinching this, go get your own.
I’ve never seen it but the rear garden is often covered with feathers.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Common as .... In Yorkshire much prefer buzzards.

Graceful and elegant soaring on the wind in Devon..

Cheers James

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I remember going to Wales with my old man when I was a kid circa 1973-4. We went in a wobble box the point being to see a red kite before they became extinct in UK. I have a memory we saw one but it may have been a ‘glimpse’ , ( birdwatchers you’ll know what I mean 😉
What a success story it is, with so many now.
Great video

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
A nesting pair was introduced to the field where my cricket pitch was (Abbots Ripton, just north of Huntingdon) and they have multiplied tremendously across to the A1 corridor (no idea how many are off spring or introduced pairs). What surprised me most was how close they would come to me whilst chugging up and down the pitch on the ancient rolling machine (used an old Ford Prefect engine). They would happily swoop down to within 20 feet on occasion but the moment I stepped off the roller they were off! I assume they ignore the big metal beasts rolling up and down roads but are naturally wary of the human form?
We are on a campsite just up the road from you in Kings Ripton Atm. Sure enough, we get our fair share of Red Kite sightings in and around the campsite. In fact, they quite often land in the fields surrounding the site. Never get bored of watching these very special birds.👍

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
There is a big gang of these constantly hovering over and close to where we currently are parked. I’ve counted 20 in the air at once, within an area around the size of a football pitch. It’s bizarre. I thought they were probably more solitary as I’ve never seen other birds of prey in groups.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back