LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'm happy that any new members that may have joined because of my recommendation will make the forum stronger so we all benefit. I want all the money to keep Jim in business
I kinda agree but if there were little new recruits business would suffer so surely each newbie that was recruited by a Funster is a bonus..that's the way I see it anyway.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I seem to remember Jim posting recently about the amount of new members from the Peterborough Show in particular and this year in general. I think Fun and the recruiting process works very well as it is and any referrals from existing members that result in someone joining should be seen as benefit to the forum as a whole and a sense of satisfaction to that particular member in promoting the club and maintaining its status as the biggest and best motorhome club there is. Anything that complicates a simple process, however laudable, is adding unnecessarily to the administration involved.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
..it's about recruiting NEW subscribers

And that is Jim's problem.

If anyone knocked on my door saying MotorWorld is the best forum in the world I'd be very very annoyed. If someone littered my windscreen with leaflets I'd be annoyed.

Have you ever considered you may be doing a disservice to Jim and the forum in your activities ?

I'm only too happy to tell anyone where they can first class information if I'm in conversation, that's quite different.

Anyway, the bottom line is this is Jim's business and he does things his way. You'd better believe that.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Just an honest poll

So you recommend someone... Or several folk to fun. Would you like to see £1 go towards a charity. I would...Is that me just being a typical scot or what!
We give 10% discount to MHFun members and sign up more than most

Yes, Growler is £999 but, if you sign up for MHFun, we give an exclusive 10% discount, so you pay £15 and save £100

Where's the catch? Really! Lol There is no catch!

Seeing how hard Jim and Sian work at the shows to make this forum, what it is, and the fact that starting MHFun was foisted on them in the first place, new members should grovel at the feet of the people, who enlightened them, and introduced them to the best Motorhome club..........................................IN THE WORLD

Probably

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I'm sure plenty of people have come to FUN on my recommendation BUT I don't ever recall anyone actually saying they joined because of me. So how would this be managed? As I said Jim already gives to charity so why complicate things
Jim works incredibly hard n the background obtaining benefits for members.

Marquees and stands at shows don't come cheap you know

Like the Queen, I wouldn't do Jim's job,

Thank God they both do, but I suspect in Jim's case, added time and paperwork, for less money would mean a shrug, a sigh, and drive into the Sunset

Where would we all be without our daily fix lol

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I find charity mafia intensely irritating as I'm sure many others do, it ruins everything, many times after giving, particularly by phone, I have been besieged with phone calls and crap through the post, I was particularly peed off the other week when an appeal for clean water in Sudan on the tv asked you to text and donate, I was just about to when I noticed the small print at the bottom of the screen with words to the effect "by donating you agree to being contacted in the future for further donations" bloody cheek, puts me right off. Let Jim keep his money he works hard enough for it and does plenty for charity from what I've seen. If you really want to raise money organise raffles at meets etc it works well, think there was a couple of thousand pounds raised at Thetford last year at the charity auction, people were happy to throw a few quid in the pot, I am happy to donate another load of crap interesting artefacts for your first auction as I'm sure will many others!

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If anyone knocked on my door saying MotorWorld is the best forum in the world I'd be very very annoyed
So would I cos I would argue the fact that its probably Motorhomefun..

If ypu can get so annoyed that easily I hope I never park up next to you.:LOL:

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Probably[/QUOTE]
Thank God they both do, but I suspect in Jim's case, added time and paperwork, for less money would mean a shrug, a sigh, and drive into the Sunset

How is it added tiime. ? O+0 = 0
If someone joins through a recommendation its a joining fee the site might not have had and in the days of computer technology I dont think it would be hard to administer.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'm sure plenty of people have come to FUN on my recommendation BUT I don't ever recall anyone actually saying they joined because of me.
Do most of them not say they joined despite you!!!:imoutahere:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I think anything like this will set a bad precedent for Jim. It's his business, his money and his terms and rules. You join, stay or leave on that basis. It will add to his Admin and it will be a question to ask every joining funster and to report how much was given to which charity and when and then polls to decide a charity.

Next there will be claims for something else - don't do it Jim! He will also get plagued by charities wanting his money!

It's up to Jim what he gives to charity and likewise for me. This would be a charity tax on fun membership. I applaud your charitable thoughts and efforts but you are basically looking for payment for what you do for fun albeit to be paid to charity. Again I say it's a bad precedent!

I also agree that there are some very greedy people who run charities and pay themselves too much money!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I don't. ..Don't you see the ????

If you take the effort than going to personally place a sticker or whatever in their windscreen then yes but hey I can't see you walking very far :LOL:
How would you know how far I walk?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Whilst I commend your enthusiasm Sandra, I don't think this will happen. However you can take heart from the fact that the more members there are, the more our numbers will swell at rallies/meets and as a consequence the more money will go to charity. My thinking is that there are raffles, quizzes etc at the large meets, and people like Andy (@Techno ) sell things at times and give the proceeds to charity.
May not be what you wanted to hear but it is something!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Sandra, I'm glad you want to promote the club, but what you propose will be hard to manage.

New members would need a field when joining to say they were referred and who by. I could do that, but I'd rather not, the join up form need to be as simple and quick as possible; and it might confuse the vast majority who are not referred. I'd then need to monitor each and every sign up to find out what I owed to charity, what if I forgot or made a mistake? I'd feel awful and the tongues would wag.

This is why I like to have nothing to do with charity cash..if I hold it, chances are someone will say "I thought he collected more than that or similar" I hate it. This is why I prefer people to donate directly to something like a Just Giving page, its all transparent that way and then there is no doubt.

However your point is not lost on me, if you recruit a bunch of new members, your reward is to see a donation to a charity of your choice. I can go along with that. You said you might give out around 200 to 400 flyers How about I donate £20 for every 100 flyers you give out to other motorhomers. Happy to do that for you or anyone who wants them (y)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Hi Sandra, I'm glad you want to promote the club, but what you propose will be hard to manage.

New members would need a field when joining to say they were referred and who by. I could do that, but I'd rather not, the join up form need to be as simple and quick as possible; and it might confuse the vast majority who are not referred. I'd then need to monitor each and every sign up to find out what I owed to charity, what if I forgot or made a mistake? I'd feel awful and the tongues would wag.

This is why I like to have nothing to do with charity cash..if I hold it, chances are someone will say "I thought he collected more than that or similar" I hate it. This is why I prefer people to donate directly to something like a Just Giving page, its all transparent that way and then there is no doubt.

However your point is not lost on me, if you recruit a bunch of new members, your reward is to see a donation to a charity of your choice. I can go along with that. You said you might give out around 200 to 400 flyers How about I donate £20 for every 100 flyers you give out to other motorhomers. Happy to do that for you or anyone who wants them (y)
I gave out 200 Jim, £2000 please kerching, you might want to revisit that statement @Jim its gonna cost!

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

Good man Jim, you just gone up in my estimation, (y)

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
How about I donate £20 for every 100 flyers you give out to other motorhomers. Happy to do that for you or anyone who wants them (y)
Cheers Jim...Its a deal. Joking aside I will give one out to all the Mhs for the £20:) hopefully you will recuperate it back. I like to chat to other mhs so its a win win.(y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Crumbs Jim ... you owe me about £5000 then .. I even photocopy them and put little messages on saying about the marquees and rallies and the bbqs .... see New Start thread of today. Don't worry I won't hold you to it .. just happy to pay for tickets or prizes on the raffles and sales tables ... I think Funsters are some of the most generous and supportive people around in times of need.

As always, I am happy to go with the decisions made.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Blimey jim, ive been handing them out in the town centre for ages, and every van that uses the RHDR, i have spoken too the drivers from all nationalities about the benefits. Now why i do so ive drawn a blank however passing info on is an Education.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Crumbs Jim ... you owe me about £5000 then .. I even photocopy them and put little messages on saying about the marquees and rallies and the bbqs .... see New Start thread of today. Don't worry I won't hold you to it .. just happy to pay for tickets or prizes on the raffles and sales tables ... I think Funsters are some of the most generous and supportive people around in times of need.

As always, I am happy to go with the decisions made.

Yes , as I have said before, that is how I arrived with a personal invite from @movan.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I hand them out all the time, some join some don't. I don't expect anything for any that join though, just a natural thing to do for me. :)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I found fun via the internet!

Some of the technical help, resources, books and ideas from members are one of its largest marketing assets.

For those into rallying and looking for friendships that is also a big draw.

One to one chats are also a great advert with personal recommendation.

Leaflets & flyers come a long way down the list unless they are a reminder of where to join up after visiting the stand or chatting to a member.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
@Jim where can I see one of the flyers please. Was wondering if they are utilising modern technology yet, like a QR code image that when scanned by phone or tablet brings a potential new member directly to the forum

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back