Recommendations on which motorhome to buy

Discussion in 'Motorhome Help for the Beginner' started by Les M, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Les M

Les M

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    Planning on moving away from caravans and buying a motorhome at retirement in a year.
    I realise everyone will probably have different opinions, but I need to start looking.... so which units do you think would suit our requirements (details as follows)..oh and note I have a class C licence if it matters but smaller the better...

For 2 adults only...
    A fixed, drop or fold down bed..were fed up with making/un-making the bed each night.
    Bed not to be side on so someone has to climb over the other to go to the loo, or a cut off shape and have legs hanging off the edge
    Most important for the lady....a separate, decent sized shower, not a combo toilet / wet room
    Most important for me, price...thinking of mid 50k MAX happy to go lower but cannot justify more.
    Doesn't have to be a new model, which might save money.. Would also consider a good second hand.

With caravans, there are great (usually expensive), good, ok, and ones to avoid..I guess motorhomes are the same? It would be nice to buy from a British manufacturer if new..

As a final note, I saw online an American RV from Leisure Travel vans, it has a Murphy fold down bed...brilliant idea, but I don't think fold down beds are available here??

Ok, feel free to suggest makes & models ...thanks

• Like it Like it x 1
  2. Wellington

Wellington Funster

Ratings:
    +56
    I can’t help, because we are looking at twin beds, but if you can get to one of the shows, I think there is no substitute for going and sitting in a lot of vans. Due to child-related restrictions, I did a most of my research online, and it’s amazing how different vans ‘felt’ in real life, compared to online pics/videos/plans.

Good luck, I’m sure there are plenty of people who have better recommendations.

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. Les M

Les M

Ratings:
    +3
    many thanks for taking the time to reply.. We went to the NEC at the weekend and that's where the bug hit, we plan to go to some more shows but looking for recommendations or ones to avoid..

• Love it Love it x 1
  4. Podney

Podney Funster

Ratings:
    +4,265
    Get a Rapido,they are fantastic!

5. M-J

M-J Funster

Ratings:
    +186
    Bessacarr 494 (y)

6. Parrot Face

Parrot Face Funster

Ratings:
    +471
    Agree with Wellington above. You will learn so much from going around lots of dealers or shows. We have just done a tour of the south coast taking in dealers. Ended up on our way home stopping off at the NEC. We saw lots and lots of motorhomes and spoke to lots of dealers. Prices vary between them all, for instance we were offered a trade in price from one dealer of 24k for our van and 38k from 3 others. What ever positive price you are offered you can often quote to the next dealer and invite them to beat it or offer add ons. You just learn so much from the donkey work. Ironically we completed a deal with Signature motorhomes in Preston (30 minute drive from our home). Also really go through the van in detail when inspecting and before you walk out of it sit down on the chairs for 10 minutes and just imagine yourselves in it and how you would live in it.

7. Simon Howards Motorhomes

Simon Howards Motorhomes Romahome Dealer

Ratings:
    +172
    Bailey Autograph 540 Compact? Big end washroom and an electric drop down bed. The van is 5.99 metres long as well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Ratings:
    +8,137
    What you havent mentioned is what sort of use you envisage mostly/totally on site or off grid/wilding. If its the second there will be more compromises depending on length/price etc. Maybe the first thing to do is sit down together and prioritise your wants when shes told you what you think it will be easier then to come up with possibles.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Les M

Les M

Ratings:
    +3
    thanks all...the durations will be UK holidays from long weekends to 2 weeks...we don't envisage staying in it for months on a European winter break, but you never know...

Have now got finances in place and seriously looking, went on Wednesday to 4 front motorhomes on the A23 just south of Gatwick.. They couldn't have been more rude, insisted they needed to know exactly what we wanted before opening a van, it was a choice of 3 but then said they were too busy to show us round...decided to take our business elsewhere.
    Today we went to Marquis in East Sussex, what a difference...very professional, showed us the sort of vans that suited our requirements and gave us a lot of info..

now going away to digest....also thinking of hiring a motorhome for a week to see what we really need..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Les M

Les M

Ratings:
    +3
    oh forgot to say...a mixture of off grid and some fully serviced sites..

11. Derry Wilson

Derry Wilson Funster

Ratings:
    +62
    Les M. I would thoroughly recommend you go down the Hire route first. It'll be the best ££ you spend. If MoHo still appeals to you after a weeks hire it will simply confirm your thoughts, if you don't like MoHo it will save you a small fortune. So Win Win whichever way.

• Like it Like it x 1
  12. Wendles

Wendles Funster

Ratings:
    +52
    We had the same experience with 4 front! If you are down south then 3 counties Motorhome which has 3 showrooms are friendly and helpful. The chap in Poole spent a lot of time when we were first looking with us explaining everything about UK v European considering we intend to spend a lot of time in Europe in ours. We bought ex rental which so far so good- really good service from them.