Recommendations of best manufacturers for hire business (1 Viewer)

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The model of course is important as is initial purchase prices,add to the mix depreciation, business model is vital. Length of stocking and disposal are critical. I am sure your up to speed on insurance,hire agreement's etc.
It is as other have said a complex business model, not without merit however one that requires good planning. Back to models and manufacture, one that retails readily

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Agree with Jim. Sunliving by Adria. Rental makes up a big proportion of their sales. Like Jim says they are basic but functional. No fancy carpets or upholstery to spoil. Same wiTh the blinds etc. Basis functional but easy to replace.

Avoid anything with unwashable upholstery and definitely anything with concertina blinds. We all know what can go wrong with them in all but the most caring hands.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
PLA and Giottiline.
New and Nearly New Peugeot Boxer Italian built Modern Large Budget Motorhomes.
A place in Congleton that I used to work at has a fleet of 30 +, some of which He hires out and others He sells.
Motorhomes2go
Winchamleisure.
Ask for Sarah { Sales /Hire or Malcolm M.D. }

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just to add, we have a fleet of 550 Ambulances at work. Generally we expect 20% to be off being fixed or restocked and cleaned. It won’t be that bad but I would expect at least 10% of your fleet to be unavailable due to breakdown, servicing etc.

With 8 you will have to expect to keep one in reserve and bad weeks 2.
You can plan to have one spare a week but how would you know when the bad weeks were going to be to have 2?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
PLA and Giottiline.
New and Nearly New Peugeot Boxer Italian built Modern Large Budget Motorhomes.
A place in Congleton that I used to work at has a fleet of 30 +, some of which He hires out and others He sells.
Motorhomes2go
Winchamleisure.
Ask for Sarah { Sales /Hire or Malcolm M.D. }

I have seen hired PLA motorhomes in France. Italian made, part of Rapido's group.

Random thoughts:

If it were me I would split the hire fleet between ones exclusively for pet owners and ones exclusively for hirers who don't have pets. Then there is the problem of smokers (or vapers) and non-smokers. Tricky. I wouldn't want to hire a MH that stinks of anything even air freshener.

According to insurers the most common areas for body damage are overcab (low tree branches) and rear bodywork (novices reversing into those pesky invisible obstacles). Expect to have a few of those types of claims so how big do the deposits need to be? How long will they be off hire until repaired?

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I think you just ruled out over 90% of all Motorhomes.
Lenny HB you clearly don't shop in the value end of the business. In our Van all of the seat covers are removable and washable and, thank goodness, not a concertina blind in sight :party3:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I had a cheap Bailey Caravan from new and two toddlers. I expected them to break everything!

Nothing fell off, or broke, apart from the stupid shower tray which cracked after a year.

It was surprisingly robust.

Leaked, a lot! But robust!

Good luck with the business, it’s great to see people opening what I hope will be a viable and successful venture.

As others have said, if you don’t know how to fix them, learn very quickly. Losing a weeks hire is a disaster for you but worse for your customer who will bad mouth you for years!
Had a Bailey caravan yea ago top of the range twin axel leaked like a sieve the first time out and it wasn’t heavy rain and a kitchen door fell off.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
You can plan to have one spare a week but how would you know when the bad weeks were going to be to have 2?

You can’t, that was my point which I didn’t write very well. Apologies.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Had a Bailey caravan yea ago top of the range twin axel leaked like a sieve the first time out and it wasn’t heavy rain and a kitchen door fell off.

Both of mine were robust, both leaked which was a shame, getting sealant correct isn’t hard. Wouldn’t dream of buying another, shame as I really like the models.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I met a dealer from Denmark he was buying 30 Carthago motorhomes for his dealership
Then he was off to buy 30 vans from Sunlight for his hire fleet

I asked him is the rental market good he said yes all the vans go out on a Friday they come back Monday , then we spend all week repairing then also cleaning them

He said the trick is never run out of bumpers, mirrors ,taps , blinds and shower trays the list went on lol

Good luck in your new venture

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back