Recommendations for suitable motorhome for full timing... (1 Viewer)

AllyG

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

We are about to join the full time motor homer's world as soon as we sell our house and will be looking for a suitable motorhome. So I'd like to ask the community for any recommendations on brand, models or layout please?

We think we know the sort of thing we'd prefer but of course until we put it into practice we can't be sure if our ideas will work.

We are thinking bench seats at the front for comfort rather than the European lounge, island bed or twins over a garage with the split shower/bathroom en-suite arrangement oh and a large fridge. However, the only model we can find that seems to meet these requirements is the Autotrail Delaware but are a bit cautious about the bad press Autotrail seems to have.

Does anyone know of any other vans with a similar layout to the Delaware? Or suggestions for good models for full timing? What do you have and does it work for you?

Thanks
Allison

Reactions: Jim
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Before you make a choice , 2 big considerations , licence limit , and payload , they are related and very important especially in a full timing context more so than part time .

Hi-smiley.png and welcome to Fun

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Alison,

If it were me I'd be looking at a van with the following, pretty much in order of importance to me;
  1. An A Class motorhome, you get more space in shorter lengths.
  2. Payload, full-timers need lots of it. you'll be carrying winter coats and wellies, swimming costumes and flip flops and everything in between.
  3. Fixed bed, an absolute must
  4. Twin sofas opposing
Everything else is a negotiable/compromise you could live with

If you are going to be moving every few days don't buy American, if you are only going to be moving once a month or less then certainly consider them. A small American RV would suit me full timing perfectly, but then I have the licence to drive them and have used them for years.

Best of luck (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Allison

Does the Delaware have a garage? are you looking to but new or used? you say "bench seats rather than the European lounge" surely there are lots of Continental vans with two sofas.

If it was me I would be looking for a quality used German van from Concorde, Niesmann+Bischoff, Frankia, Hobby etc, in other words a quality van that is fully winterised double floor and well insulated.

I trust that you can drive over 3500kg so it comes down to what size you want and living full time is different to a long weekend so I would not skimp on length and storage.

Martin

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We have full timed for many years, and everything is a compromise. It’s possible to do it in a small pvc, but more comfy in an RV, but it all depends what you want to do, and where you want to do it!
Top things, fixed bed, German brand, payload, storage and winterisation.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Have to agree with the previous comments, go with a European marque. We have a le voyageur, been fulltiming in it for 18 months & can't fault it. Good luck with your search.(y)

OP
OP
AllyG

AllyG

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Wow! Thanks for all your responses and advice. I think with our licences being from the 80s we can drive quite a lot of stuff, so I think we'll take on board all the advice and look for an A class, German with a big payload. As I see from the suggested models, bench seats are available. I love the Burstner M - J Funster suggests but not sure the budget will run to that. So the hunt goes on.

Incidentally, does anyone know of an A class layout with longitudinal drop down bed with a garage? Other than the £120k Frankia I saw at SMC which is unfortunately out of our league!

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Hi Alison,
  1. Fixed bed, an absolute must

If you are going to be moving every few days don't buy American, if you are only going to be moving once a month or less then certainly consider them. A small American RV would suit me full timing perfectly, but then I have the licence to drive them and have used them for years.

Best of luck (y)

Does a drop down bed get classed as fixed?

Why not an RV if you're on the move quite a lot? Do they take a bit of setting up once parked?

I was thinking of starting a similar thread, difference being I am looking for a van more suitable for just myself. Actually, not sure if the OP is travelling with a family or just an other half.

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Wow! Thanks for all your responses and advice. I think with our licences being from the 80s we can drive quite a lot of stuff, so I think we'll take on board all the advice and look for an A class, German with a big payload. As I see from the suggested models, bench seats are available. I love the Burstner M - J Funster suggests but not sure the budget will run to that. So the hunt goes on.

Incidentally, does anyone know of an A class layout with longitudinal drop down bed with a garage? Other than the £120k Frankia I saw at SMC which is unfortunately out of our league!
We have everything mentioned above but the compromise is a L shape lounge meaning one of us makes use of the front driving seats.We make use of cushions for extra comfort .Used to have a Autotrail with bench seats ,GREAT but everything else was a poor compromise if we had used it for long term touring.
Ours- Hymer Starline ,double bed above huge garage,huge payload with scooter and bikes on rear wall/towbar as you need the garage for storage.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi
We are about to join the full time motor homer's world as soon as we sell our house and will be looking for a suitable motorhome.

Thanks
Allison

That's pretty much burning bridges, some just can't hack full timing so the usual advice is rent out house and give it a year before you sell.

Jim lea

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Exactly the same as us, went in a pals Delaware and was the best layout for us we have seen to date. Like some opinions on here, was put off just being an Autotrail. Have a look at a Rapido 8096df which is the nearest we could get to the Delaware. The 8096df is an A class, they do a 696 which is a c class equivalent.
Hope this helps

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Have a look at the Adria Matrix. We have the Supreme 670 DC. It has bench seats at the front facing each other with a foldable table that can be small or large. Big island bed and also a drop down electric double, big garage. Only drawback is its 3.5 ton with a 320kg payload. However you could negotiate with dealer for an upgrade to 3,8 ton. Not an A class but a lot cheaper.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
A big advantage of continental vans is that they are equipped for winter. Not so sure you can say that of some Brit vans but admit I don’t know the spec of the Autotrail that you are considering.

Ian

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
It’s all a compromise.
For me it would be-
Size & payload.
Fixed bed-singles/double transverse/double island.
Garage.
Separate shower to loo or at least a self contained shower.
Decent kitchen with oven and as much workspace as poss!

OP
OP
AllyG

AllyG

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2005
We have everything mentioned above but the compromise is a L shape lounge meaning one of us makes use of the front driving seats.We make use of cushions for extra comfort .Used to have a Autotrail with bench seats ,GREAT but everything else was a poor compromise if we had used it for long term touring.
Ours- Hymer Starline ,double bed above huge garage,huge payload with scooter and bikes on rear wall/towbar as you need the garage for storage.

I'll have a look at the Starline, thanks.

OP
OP
AllyG

AllyG

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2005
That's pretty much burning bridges, some just can't hack full timing so the usual advice is rent out house and give it a year before you sell.
We were going to sell anyway so if it doesn't work out we'll just buy something else - probably a cheaper one if I've maxed out on a new motorhome! :cool:

OP
OP
AllyG

AllyG

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Exactly the same as us, went in a pals Delaware and was the best layout for us we have seen to date. Like some opinions on here, was put off just being an Autotrail. Have a look at a Rapido 8096df which is the nearest we could get to the Delaware. The 8096df is an A class, they do a 696 which is a c class equivalent.
Hope this helps
Yes, that does help. I'll have a look at those 2 models

OP
OP
AllyG

AllyG

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Have a look at the Adria Matrix. We have the Supreme 670 DC. It has bench seats at the front facing each other with a foldable table that can be small or large. Big island bed and also a drop down electric double, big garage. Only drawback is its 3.5 ton with a 320kg payload. However you could negotiate with dealer for an upgrade to 3,8 ton. Not an A class but a lot cheaper.
Thanks, I'll have a look at this one too. Are the Adria winterised etc and as good as the Germans?

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
We are just starting out full timing well more long timing if things go to plan. Any idea when you may take the plunge. Will you be basest in UK or Europe?
If the motorhome you end up with has a low payload maybe you could have your motorhome uprated

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Your ideal van would be something like this......

......Which ticks all the boxes that you need. They are great well built quality vans and an older one would be within your budget. Worth looking out for one.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Thanks, I'll have a look at this one too. Are the Adria winterised etc and as good as the Germans?
Yes we've had a Hymer and a Knaus, both excellent vans and I would say this Adria is close to them in quality. They are fully winterised. Adria is also number one when it comes to customer satisfaction. They also have a great service network. I particularly like the layout on the DC model with the bench seats and flip over table. It came with spare wheel, awning/sun canopy. Unlike my previous models I reckon I could full time in this.

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Your ideal van would be something like this......

......Which ticks all the boxes that you need. They are great well built quality vans and an older one would be within your budget. Worth looking out for one.
Just getting use to our pre loved Le Voyager. Counting the day till we get on ferry. 27 by the way

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Look at german vans. Better insulated than English vans.
Cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
Larger garage and better payload.
Big fridge a must.
Alde heating more comfy and even heating.
Either permanent island or singles, personal preference.
Shower one side and loo the other so you get better drying and dressing area.
Look at all your dealerships and see whats available.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Look at german vans. Better insulated than English vans.
Cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
Larger garage and better payload.
Big fridge a must.
Alde heating more comfy and even heating.
Either permanent island or singles, personal preference.
Shower one side and loo the other so you get better drying and dressing area.
Look at all your dealerships and see whats available.
Yep, that was pretty well what I was looking for and found it. French vans are well winterised as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back