Recommendations for Portugal please. (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We are setting off tomorrow (Saturday) and intend heading to Portugal. :sun:
Nothing set in stone as usual with our trips so we will see how the weather looks and trundle south in a fairly leisurely manner.
We could do with a few ideas for good stops in Portugal from you seasoned travellers though.
We like fairly quiet, good views, particularly over water and prefer rural.
While we are more than happy to be Fun Loving Travellers we also don't object to paying for good aires or even, gasp :Eeek:, campsites.
We already have a very short list of possibles but many more would be welcome.

Richard.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Good luck Richard,have a fantastic time, we are envious as haven't been ourselves yet, but will be watching you blog for some ideas.
Scary thing for me would be getting caught out with motorway tolls, hope its not as confusing as some have mentioned on here.
Best wishes.
Les

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Coimbra, used to be the capital of Portugal. Well worth a visit and there's a campsite just on the edge with regular bus service into town:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/portugal/central-portugal/coimbra

Also Lisbon the capital. Good campsite just in the city with regular bus service into the centre. Much to see so well worth taking the tourist bus.

Mick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If heading slowly down from the north, consider calling by QMJ where my people could give you some information as to where to visit based on your likes and dislikes.

JJ :cool:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Also have a look at the Barril de Alva aire. Right next to a good restaurant and river. Lovely village next door, Coja, we love sitting in the square for a coffee and people watch. Only a cycle ride from the aire. Lovely walking/hiking area.

If you are worried about toll roads, we enter Portugal via Miranda do Douro, at Tordesilles, Spain head towards Zamora. The road all the way is good, a bit slower on the N17. But some beautiful scenery before and after Miranda do Douro.

We are in UK til end of March, but if you do stay at Barril de Alva, give us a shout, will come to meet you at the aire and perhaps have a meal together.

Enjoys your travels wherever you go.

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Alvor is nice as is Silves. Lovely Frango at the street side restaurant, not far from River,bridge and near Aire.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Scary thing for me would be getting caught out with motorway tolls, hope its not as confusing as some have mentioned on here
Far easier than they sound once you understand them it's doddle, just don't believe everything thing you read on the official website.
On the electronic motorways I wouldn't bother registering your CC at the border if going for more than a month as it only lasts 30 days. Easier to buy online vouchers and top them up, you can buy on the day you have traveled even after you have been on the motorway. If you forget buy a voucher then ring them up and they will backdate it.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for the replies so far.
As far as tolls are concerned I have a secret weapon to deal with them.
Unfortunately I will still have to pay but I hope our new toll tag will take any uncertainty away.
As a rule we don't use toll roads but there are times when it's just easier to avoid towns and 'Mickey Mouse' sections of busy roads.
@Lenny HB will have a fit I know, but I have got tags for France and Spain/Portugal. :D

Richard.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks for the replies so far.
As far as tolls are concerned I have a secret weapon to deal with them.
Unfortunately I will still have to pay but I hope our new toll tag will take any uncertainty away.
As a rule we don't use toll roads but there are times when it's just easier to avoid towns and 'Mickey Mouse' sections of busy roads.
@Lenny HB will have a fit I know, but I have got tags for France and Spain/Portugal. :D

Richard.
Naughty boy, I thought you were over 3.5t.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back