Recommendations for carrying a scooter in garage (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Not wishing to hijack the very informative scooter thread how and with what do my fellow Funster's stow them in a Motorhome garage. I'm guessing there are also lightweight aluminium ramps to assist with getting the scooter into the garage. Your advice, solutions and recommendations would be gratefully received. My garage is 1.3 m in height.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I can only speak from our recent purchase of motorhome with garage and recent purchase of a Suzuki address 110.

Have been motorhoming for 8 years now and always glanced at the motorbike being carried as an extra vehicle.

Last summer i got jealous. We were staying in a truffle farm (France Passion) about 2-3 kms from Lac de St Croix. Parked up for a couple of days and the ppl opposite just kept getting on the bike, going off to get their bread, then a swim, then back for lunch, then an afternoon swim, then they went out for the evening. We were sat there with our pushbikes having got knackered pushing them up the hill.

As soon as we got back i started to do some research and found the rollerteam 690 at a very reasonable price (IMHO). Bought one at last years prices for this years model and a few extras thrown in.

Then onto the bike. I have a full licence. I knew weight was going to be a major issue (didnt realise how much til the recent threads) so i wanted to be sensible, not trendy.

Looking through all the bikes available i made my mind up on a honda 125 (PCX i think and 125kgs) so went down to local bike dealer, I didnt realise i knew him from football 30 years ago, and told him what i was after and why and he just turned round right away and said you want this one. About 10 minutes later, following concerns about it being only 110 cc, smaller, girly looking and worries about power, I was happy with it.

Just needed the wife to sit on the back. That was done the next day and the 0% for 4 years helped. 60 quid for a top box, £100 for the insurance (including the wife with no licence) about 40 quid for the ramps and i went down to screwfix and 20 quid for the ratchet straps and the job was a goodun with an ebay purchase of a disclock for a fiver. (The top box is (IMHO) a necessity as it enables a helmet to go in there when shopping and the other helmet goes under the seat)

We have been out on the bike for days out over the nice days since October, and taken it away for the weekend. Concerns over getting it in and out of the van have been completely negated. Going up the ramp is fine with the engine on and just taking the bite. Have to remove the top box to get in and out but that is just a minor 20 second job.

I have also had to audacity 2s up to go up the outside of the traffic at red lights and see the faces of the drivers thinking "W4nquer" but then pulling away from them (in a 40mph). We get 60 MPH out of her 2s up on the flat (after 3-4 minutes!) and no doubt with the wind behind me going downhill single crewed and farting 70 MPH is a possibility

Seriously cant wait til April when the style of motorhoming we will do is going to change because of the bike.

Just a footnote I am currently in the process of uprating the van as we had 450 kgs of payload before awning, bike rack, tv, solar, extra battery and gaslow on a 6 berth (and motorbike which comes in at 102 kgs) oh and wife who will be extremely upset if i put her weight on a public forum

63 kgs before anyone asks !

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I too would love to carry a scooter but I need one the is no more than 1.0m at it's highest point. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We have been looking to see if there are any sub 1.0 metre bikes and the only ones we could come up with were 'monkey bikes' - didn't like them. So we are going to take our scooter (Honda Vision height 1,090 mm) on the new van in exactly the same way as we transport it on our current van - on an Easylifter attached to a tow bar on the back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Well Plan to put my scooter in the garage of our Roadstar but I have a little advantage being it's a mobility scooter the handlebars drop down to almost flat and with ramps it will be easy to drive it in in one piece hopefully not needing to remove the nice captains chair it has

then I have a nice 4-6 hour range before re charging

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
If we are going to start getting stupid replies beat this scooter, @Foxy1956 :ROFLMAO:

V-Tech-Scooter.jpg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have saw people taking the mirrors off to get the bike in the garage.
You talking about us again lol. J has found he can get bike in by twisting them slightly, no need to take off.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I too would love to carry a scooter but I need one the is no more than 1.0m at it's highest point. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

If your garage entry door height is 1 metre, you may find you can get a scooter in which is 1.05m (at the handlebars without wingmirrors). The angle of the ramp reduces the effective height of the scooter, assuming you drive/push it in forwards. Once the front wheel reaches the top of the ramp, the wheel goes horizontal, giving more clearance when the handlebar zone gets to the garage door opening.
I assume the height inside the garage is higher than 1m. If not, this won't solve your problem.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warrior-M...Chock-Combo-/301353416781?hash=item462a10384d

upload_2017-3-4_16-56-45.png

Well, slightly different chock, and £61 when I bought in 2015.
Have to take mirrors and topbox off before loading.

I bolted the chock down through the garage floor (with spreader washers) and modified the ramp to add rubber buffers to the sharp edges, smoothed down the rest.

I can load the scooter single handed - Peugeot Ludix blaster < 75kg

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warrior-M...Chock-Combo-/301353416781?hash=item462a10384d

View attachment 150690

I bolted the chock down through the garage floor (with spreader washers) and modified the ramp to add rubber buffers to the sharp edges, smoothed down the rest.

Exact same combo as I have,bolted the wheel clamp to the floor via a bit of alu checker plate to pick up the van bolts.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The garage on our Hymer is 1.14m high and we too keep a Suzuki Address in it. We bought this cheap wheel chock for the front wheel and bolted it through the floor with a couple of lengths of 600 x 50 x 6mm ali underneath the floor to spread the load. We have 4 straps; 2 on rear carrier and 2 on the handlebars each tied to eye bolts in the channel we have on each side of the floor of the garage.

Bought a folding ali ramp and we can push it up and pull it down. We have to take the mirrors off to get it in. We also take off the top box when pushing it in, but when it is all tied down there is just enough room to put it back on.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Have saw people taking the mirrors off to get the bike in the garage.
+1, we have to remove the mirrors to get ours in. I bought a piece of Alloy to use as a ramp. Purpose made ones from camping car shops were very expensive. I paid £20
We took our scooter a couple of times with us but found we never used it. Most airs and campsites are close to the center of towns. Ours is a 50cc and weighs 86 Kilos. It carries the both of us plus the dog. We went for this one as it was cheap and cheerful and the weight.
Scooter 002.JPG

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Storage solutions for Ali folding ramp and top-box:

My folding ramp gets stored, hanging from the garage roof. I added 4 angle brackets to the side of the Ali ramp. Then screwed 2 wooden L-shaped runners to the garage roof. Then simply push the Ali ramp into the 2 runners either side.

I need to remove the top-box. Bought an extra base plate for the top-box and screwed this to the garage door. The top-box now lives securely attached to the inside of the garage door when not required.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
+1, we have to remove the mirrors to get ours in. I bought a piece of Alloy to use as a ramp. Purpose made ones from camping car shops were very expensive. I paid £20
We took our scooter a couple of times with us but found we never used it. Most airs and campsites are close to the center of towns. Ours is a 50cc and weighs 86 Kilos. It carries the both of us plus the dog. We went for this one as it was cheap and cheerful and the weight.View attachment 150760

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Hi Mike
I was interested in your comments about the scooter.
Our garage on our new van is 1040mm.
Would that scooter fit in and what speed with 2 up can it reach

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Hi Mike

Don't think it would fit. Our garage is 1.10 meters high and the scooter is just over a meter with mirrors removed..
Two up it will hold 30 mph. It can have the limiter disconnected which would give you another 10 mph. Simple job.
You might be better off with something like the following which is a bit more expensive.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Mike
That was about the same height as the garage in our previous motorhome. We could not find a scooter that would fit, unless you went for monkey type bike.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
That was about the same height as the garage in our previous motorhome. We could not find a scooter that would fit, unless you went for monkey type bike.
mping car day 1 075.JPG

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Hi Mike thanks for info on the funky bike.
Going with other half to enquire about motorbike test.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Thanks Peter going to look at these monkey bikes and explore options on scooter racks.
First other half has to do tests.
Been quoted all in including bike hire and all test as many lessons as required to pass full motor bike test £850.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
To be honest I had a 125 Monkey bike that to be frank was fine with just me on but two up felt decidedly light on the front and not at all safe.
I am an experienced rider of more than 50 years continually and still have 6 bikes of varying sizes but think anyone contemplating a monkey bike should be sure to test one first two up.
After various vans and racks over the years have reverted to a very substantial three bike trailer,reason being for stability whilst loading,ability to walk up and stand to strap without the risk of me or the bike toppling off!.
Mind you I am an old'en with reduced use of right arm,automatic scooters are easier to get on a rack as has been said you can tickle the throttle and place it easily alone with the front wheel in the hoop.
I couldn't be without the freedom of two wheels when away in the van.
The increased cost of registering( in France) the trailer 750kgs gross has given me the ability to continue this way albeit with higher toll charges and some site charges.
Good luck with all your decisions and safe riding(and loading) to all.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I bought:

View attachment 150690

I bought one of those and secured the Honda CG 125 in the back of the Chausson with two threaded rods and hooks to hold it up right in there, never moved. However I am worried about the Hymer as the wheelbase is half the total length and has a tendency to wag the rear when loaded, might be awful with the bike in there as well. It does have the theoretical capacity legally, but it feels very insecure when a passing vehicle hits you with a bow-wave of slipstream, the Transit was a lot longer and much steadier.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
However I am worried about the Hymer as the wheelbase is half the total length and has a tendency to wag the rear when loaded
My Hymer, B660 Bestline on Merc, is 5000kg, and scooter is only ~75kg, and it's all very stable - especially in comparison to when the scooter was on a towbar rack on my old B640 Starline (3500kg)!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back