Recommendations for a scooter please (1 Viewer)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Toying with the idea of towing a scooter. I've got a full motorbike license.
It would need to be able to carry 2 biggish adults (combined about 170kg), and a small dog (presumably in a dog carrier on a back rack).
Also, both rider seats need to be at much the same level.
Any ideas?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Honda SH300i
We got rid of our 650cc Kawasaki Versys this year and swapped it for a Honda SH300i really because it's 60 kgs lighter and a bit easier for me to get in and out of the onboard garage.
Was worried that we would miss the power of the Kawasaki but no chance. The Honda has bags of power to carry both of us and we're not small with ease, used it in the Alps the Picos de Europa and all over Italy and Sicily it will cruise all day at 70 / 80 mph two up, is comfortable handles well because of the big wheels and has fantastic brakes.
Ours has a big Givi topbox plus a huge Givi adjustable screen as well making it ideal for touring a good 100 mile radius of our basecamp.
Read the reviews test ride one you'll be surprised, we wouldn't go back to a bike now.

MrScoot3.jpg

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you have a full licence and towing then within reason the world is your oyster in terms of "Scooters"

Under those circs then i d start looking at the 400 cc market

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Honda SH300i
We got rid of our 650cc Kawasaki Versys this year and swapped it for a Honda SH300i really because it's 60 kgs lighter and a bit easier for me to get in and out of the onboard garage.
Was worried that we would miss the power of the Kawasaki but no chance. The Honda has bags of power to carry both of us and we're not small with ease, used it in the Alps the Picos de Europa and all over Italy and Sicily it will cruise all day at 70 / 80 mph two up, is comfortable handles well because of the big wheels and has fantastic brakes.
Ours has a big Givi topbox plus a huge Givi adjustable screen as well making it ideal for touring a good 100 mile radius of our basecamp.
Read the reviews test ride one you'll be surprised, we wouldn't go back to a bike now.

View attachment 150434
That looks quite light? Please can you tell me what it weighs in at?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Honda SH300i

View attachment 150434

Well you might have just made my mind up for me(y) I keep going around in circles SH125 or SH300 head say 125 heart says 300.

Martin

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Toying with the idea of towing a scooter. I've got a full motorbike license.
It would need to be able to carry 2 biggish adults (combined about 170kg), and a small dog (presumably in a dog carrier on a back rack).
Also, both rider seats need to be at much the same level.
Any ideas?
Love tha avatar, trying to work out which Munro it is got a few in mind
No idea on the scooter thou

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
That looks quite light? Please can you tell me what it weighs in at?

About 160kgs compared to the Versys 220kgs so much easier to load, the weight and the large 16" wheels make it ideal as opposed to the small wheel versions as we like tour a lot.

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Another vote for the SH300 Honda. I carry one on the back of my van - it's a brilliant little bike which keeps up with motorway traffic 2 up when needed.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
IMG_2485.JPG
Another vote for the Honda sh300 :)

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Love tha avatar, trying to work out which Munro it is got a few in mind
No idea on the scooter thou
Not a Munro, it's Suilven in Assynt. Only 731m.,but a lovely hill and a fair hike as it's quite a long walk in and out..

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Not a Munro, it's Suilven in Assynt. Only 731m.,but a lovely hill and a fair hike as it's quite a long walk in and out..
Stunning, well worth bagging, am sure I watched a program on tv recently and it was featured think it was Griff Rhys looked quite remote

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Reminded me im a nightmare forget its there, must get the 125 i bought from @Jaws out of the garage for a spin.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I have the Honda PCX125, nice looking scooter in metallic black but not as comfortable as the Dylan 125 I had before.
Also had 500 scooters and the 500 three wheeler but think the 300 is the perfect compromise and prefer big wheels being a lifetime biker.
As I use a trailer all the time the weight is not a problem so maybe it's time for the Sh300?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We had a Sym HD200, which is a copy of the Honda and really liked it.
Would carry use no trouble and we liked the larger wheels.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You do not say what you want it for and how far you are going on it. Just a local trip to get the shopping? Or 100 mile sight seeing trips? Local roads or motorways?

We wanted one for relatively short trips that was small and light enough for us to push up into our garage at the back of the motorhome. I also did not fancy trying to control the larger heavier models in town at my age! I fancied a Honda Vision, but we ended up buying the almost identical firstly because it had a kick start as well as an electric start and secondly because we got a very good deal on a 4 month old demonstrator with 110 miles on the clock. Thought I might need a kick start if it was left too long unused in the garage, but not needed so far. Both are very easy to use, with a CVT auto gearbox and twist and go throttle. Both are light - the Address comes in at just under 100kg.

Both are fine for relatively local trips, but I would not want to use them on the motorway. They take the two of us (combined 160kg) at speeds up to 60mph, but are more comfortable at 40 -50 mph.

The problem may be the dog. Nearly all scooters will take a back box, that use similar fixing systems but I have never seen one with a pet carrier and I am not sure how big it would be.

If, like me, you have not ridden a bike for a long while I would recommend finding somebody who does a "back to biking" course in your area. I took one which was combined with a pillion passenger training course for my wife. All day one to one training for about ÂŁ120 from memory and they provided the scooter.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We have the Suzuki address 110 as well. Amazingly it does 60mph twos up. Its the lightest thing about. Simples to get up into the garage. Stuck a top box on it so can now hide 2 lids one in box and one under seat. Battery does last a winter outside ! Allegedly 155 mpg. It was up against a few (honda 125 pcx?) but the weight and size issue (oh and 0% 4 years interest) Yet to go away properly in it (Next month) but really impressed so far on days out and a weekend away

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Well you might have just made my mind up for me(y) I keep going around in circles SH125 or SH300 head say 125 heart says 300.

Martin
Hi Martin, we use a SYM jet 4 125 cc scooter. It weighs 110kg. Weight would not be a problem in your flair, but we need to keep the weight down in our van.
It is a great scooter and pulls us two easily up hill and down dale. Although it will do over 60, I tend to drive it around 50 mph until I get the Nut of disapproval from behind.
Around town you just cant beat a 125, it will outmanouvre anything except a skateboard.
Phil

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Started witha 110cc Vision, nippy and easy to handle BUT underpowered and small wheels and uneven ground do not go well for handling, got a SH 125 next great bike but I got a bit greedy for more power last year got a SH300 and love it, had a honda windscreen fitted but I wanted a Givi adjustable but they don't seem to do one for a 2016 model, forestboy what year is yours
collection day.jpg

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I've been a biker and have had big big bikes all my adult life. Soy recommendation may come as a surprise. We bought a Honda Innova 125cc about 5 years ago to go on the rear scooter rack of our MH...mainly cos of the uberlight weight of a smidge over 100 kgs. It's BRILLIANT! Big wheels for stability, Honda reliability, does 60mph all day 2 up plus dog, park it anywhere, 4 speed semiautomatic gearbox, and just a total laugh to ride. Does about 1000 miles on a capful of fuel and costs bugger all to insure. Utter piece of cake to self maintain. So far we've already done over 40,000 kms on it. There's really no need for bigger than a 125cc bike with your MH. If you want all the faffing about with a separate trailer then you can of course go bigger/heavier, but a 125cc on a fixed rear rack is just so much easier and cheaper.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The 125 Sym scooter I bought from Pat, ( G8 SYN ) has been really good for us. Def not posh, but works well and will make 60 mph two up on big roads.
I shyed clear of Sym until I was offered one by Terry at the right price.
It was brilliant, but woman was having trouble getting on and off it.
So when Pat offered me his scoot we gave it a try and found it was spot on.
Wigs tear had the 125 Sym motorcycle so it all worked out well.
The Sym scoot is still being used daily !

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Started witha 110cc Vision, nippy and easy to handle BUT underpowered and small wheels and uneven ground do not go well for handling, got a SH 125 next great bike but I got a bit greedy for more power last year got a SH300 and love it, had a honda windscreen fitted but I wanted a Givi adjustable but they don't seem to do one for a 2016 model, forestboy what year is yoursView attachment 150473

Mines a 2014 the screen was fitted when I bought it but its brilliant for touring which is what we do a lot, I've also fitted a satnav bracket to it so I can just plug the Zumo straight in. Took the power from the sidelight so it powers on/off with the ignition bit of a faff but worth doing if you tour. We often do 150 miles a day on ours and can be out touring/exploring the mountains or coast roads all day. That's why we prefer the 300 to the smaller ones nothing wrong with them but not suitable for what we do, only really suitable for small journeys.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have Honda PCX125.

A nice looking scooter with a good reputation. Bought it to replace a Honda ANF 125 that we had run for 13 years with only one problem, the carb had got gunged up after being left standing all winter.

The pcx weighs about 130 kgs. Weight was not a consideration as we tow the scooter, it is not rack mounted.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
CIMG0020.JPG
Trailer 2.jpg
2016-05-21 Mutchless in the garden 001.JPG
Beware of buying one of the Chinese bikes/scooters if you're going abroad as their reliability is a bit suspect (I'm a tech advisor to a bike club and magazine) and you will have difficulty with spares or repairs if you have any problems with it at home and abroad, as dealers of Chinese bikes are few and far between. Many are just 'box-shifters' with little expertise and few spares and mainstream dealers with good workshops tend to turn their noses up at the 'cheap' Chinese competition. Believe me, whatever you're told, as I've researched it thoroughly for my own benefit and for a magazine article. That said, just for devilment (I'm 72 yrs old) I bought a Chinese 250cc Herald bike to add to my collection of vintage 'Matchless' bikes, rebranded it the 'Mutchless' and rode it to Spain and back (2,500 miles) last June without any problem ;-)
My son bought a 3 wheel Gilera automatic Fuoco 500cc scooter last April (it's the same bike as the Piaggio MP3 and they also make a 300cc) for day trips up and down mountains and valleys as his wife isn't keen on his rorty Kawasaki daily ride. He and his wife trailered it 5,800 miles on a 3 months career break trip throughout Europe from Sweden, through Eastern Europe, down to Italy, across France, Spain Portugal and home. No problems with towing or the size of m/h and trailer on camp site pitches. Both helmets fit in the capacious under-seat locker. One of the advantages is that with the press of a button it remains in an upright position when stopped regardless of road camber. The dog will appreciate that!

They loved it and he (like me) is a lifelong 2-wheeled biker. The width of the two front wheels and the weight (260kg) necessitated that we built a trailer for it rather than a towhitch type carrier arrangement.

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Beware of buying one of the Chinese bikes/scooters if you're going abroad as their reliability is a bit suspect (I'm a tech advisor to a bike club and magazine) and you will have difficulty with spares or repairs if you have any problems with it (at home and abroad, as dealers of Chinese bikes are few and far between (many are just 'box-shifters with little expertise and few spares) and mainstream dealers with good workshops tend to turn their noses up at the 'cheap' Chinese competition).
My son bought a 3 wheel Gilera automatic Fuoco 500cc scooter last April (it's the same bike as the Piaggio MP3 and they also make a 300cc) for day trips up and down mountains and valleys. He and his wife trailered it 5,800 miles on a 3 months career break trip throughout Europe from Sweden, through Eastern Europe, down to Italy, across France, Spain Portugal and home. No problems with towing or the size of m/h and trailer on camp site pitches. Both helmets fit in the capacious under-seat locker. One of the advantages is that with the press of a button it remains in an upright position when stopped regardless of road camber. The dog will appreciate that!

They loved it and he (like me) is a lifelong 2-wheeled biker. The width of the two front wheels and the weight (260kg) necessitated that we built a trailer for it rather than a towhitch type carrier arrangement.View attachment 150485 View attachment 150487

Saw loads of those in Sicily last year mostly behind French vans, nice tools but definitely a trailer job.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Mines a 2014 the screen was fitted when I bought it but its brilliant for touring which is what we do a lot, I've also fitted a satnav bracket to it so I can just plug the Zumo straight in. Took the power from the sidelight so it powers on/off with the ignition bit of a faff but worth doing if you tour. We often do 150 miles a day on ours and can be out touring/exploring the mountains or coast roads all day. That's why we prefer the 300 to the smaller ones nothing wrong with them but not suitable for what we do, only really suitable for small journeys.
The problem with Honda supplied one is its quite long so if you are looking through it and if it rains or the sun is directly on it its buggar to see through it and the Givy one will not fit the the fittings on the bike so it looks like I will be taking a couple of inches off the top of the one I have with my jigsaw. Like you I found hills in Yorkshire and Wales a bit of a problem but no problem with the 300.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back