Recommendations for a 12v compressor? (1 Viewer)

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Away in the Lakes earlier this week I spotted one of Jim's LED tyre pressure monitors flashing away - sure enough when I checked the pressure was down significantly. To add to the potential problems I found I've lost the keys for removing the LED's, but managed with a pair of pliers. Changing to the spare on a Boxer is a nightmare for one of my advanced years and somewhat portly build, so a friend who was also on holiday in the Lakes was contacted and brought his 12v. compressor, only to find it wasn't man enough for the necessary 65 psi I normally run at.

At the end of the day it wasn't a problem - there was still about 40 psi in the tyre so a careful drive to a garage in Keswick and we pressured up there - but it occurs to me that a 12v. compressor that is man enough would be a wise investment - any recommendations?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i picked up a genuine fiat one brand new on ebay for under ÂŁ15. it does the job but slowly and a bonus is it comes with the bottle of glue to fix a puncture temporarily. fiat specify this as an option on vans with no spare tyre so it must be deemed ok by them

in preference I would prefer to replace my T-max offroad compressor. a bit bigger but certainly up to the job with ease

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks to all - the RAC900 certainly looks the biz - but the Nikkai from Maplin's (as recommended by Southampton) is a lot cheaper and since I'm only looking for an emergency backup I fancy one of those - unless anyone has a bad experience with one?

Deleted User
Second vote for Ring RAC 900, bit expensive but very good, crocodile clips much better than cigarette lighter socket.

For larger tyres the airflow capacity is more important than the claimed max psi.

Most smaller/cheaper compressors would probably burn out before they got anywhere near 120 psi except maybe on a baloon ::bigsmile:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I have a Ring RAC600 which I bought a few years ago having seen a test report in a magazine.

I still have my Ring RAC600 from the days when I used to pump up my car tyres, but it's not man enough for the pressures needed on my van. A motorhome workshop reckoned they could use one of these to inflate my van's tyres. I'd already tried it and knew otherwise, but I let them go ahead. After they'd allegedly got them to the correct pressures I brought out my digital tyre pressure gauge - and, of course, they were well down on what they should be. Then I fished the RAC900 out of the locker. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Quote....Most smaller/cheaper compressors would probably burn out before they got anywhere near 120 psi except maybe on a baloon ......unquote

I don't disagree, but I only use it upto 65PSI max 80, and it does the job perfectly. Even checked it against a digital tyre pressure gauge for accuracy. Can't comment on the Ring 900.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
As well as a compressor I carry something similar to this as a last resort.

Broken Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Thanks to all - the RAC900 certainly looks the biz - but the Nikkai from Maplin's (as recommended by Southampton) is a lot cheaper and since I'm only looking for an emergency backup I fancy one of those - unless anyone has a bad experience with one?

I have the Maplins version and recommended it a couple of years ago.

mine has been relegated to charging a small (25ltr) air tank to 115psi for airhorn use but managed quite well inflating my tyres to 80psi before i relegated it.

Deleted User
Sorry, didn't word my last post very well. I wasn't knocking the Maplins or the Rac 600 as I have no experience of these. My comments were aimed at the cheaper end of the market ( I have used)which tend to be OK for occasional use on car/small tyres but struggle on anything the size of a motorhome tyre.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The rear tyres on our van take 5 Bar (72.5 psi) with the Michelin Camping tyres which were on it when we bought it. The RAC600 copes OK with that :Smile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I have the RAC600 which pumps my tyres up OK and also pumps my air suspension when required. Small and easily stowed. :thumb:

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread but does anyone know of a compressor with a push/pull fitting for the tyre valves as my motor home has twin rear wheels and i can only pump my tyres up at our local petrol station. :Smile:

karl c

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
Hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread but does anyone know of a compressor with a push/pull fitting for the tyre valves as my motor home has twin rear wheels and i can only pump my tyres up at our local petrol station. :Smile:

get some Tyre valve extensions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back