recommendations for 1500w or 2000w Pure Sinewave inverter please? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I described my experiences here: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fitting-a-1500w-inverter.156023/
However, this is my first installed inverter so I can't claim any great experience of them. All I can say is it works and can run a 1200W hairdryer and recharge toothbrushes. :)
How "pure" the sine wave is I can't say and we may find problems with it in the future but at the moment we are very pleased with it - a luxury of course, but a convenient one. I'm currently on a £5 a night CL in Dorset with our own private supply of mains electricity. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Ring 2000 PSW runs senior management's GHDs and Rolls Royce jet engine hairdryer with no problem

Wouldn't be without it.....as now life is good

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have a Waeco 1800w PSW supplied and fitted by @eddievanbitz & very pleased with it (y)

It runs nearly everything we need including memsaab's hair tools and a 1300w coffee maker ... it didn't like the 1500w coffee machine so probably should have gone for a 2Kw inverter.

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Our Sterling 1500watt "pure sine wave" £300? inverter powers the 850 watt microwave, SkyBox and charged the electric toothbrushes without a problem and has so far lasted 2 years but if buying again I'd be consdiering a Victron because everyone speaks so well about them.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have a Merlin 2kw pure sine and it works great, have you got big enough cables.

Martin

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have the We have a Waeco 1800w PSW. Professionally fitted, it has its own consumer board and doesn't get upset if it is on and I hook up or start the in-built genny. (y)

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We have had our Xantrex Prowatt 1400W pure sine inverter for four years. It regularly supplies 1280W to our microwave without problems.
BTW the second one you asked for comments on is available with UK sockets here
Amazon product ASIN B01GHU4CAUat a slightly better price.

EDIT:
Oh dear why can I add a amazon url?
Just search amazon for B01GHU4CAU

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Our Sterling 1500watt "pure sine wave" £300? inverter powers the 850 watt microwave, SkyBox and charged the electric toothbrushes without a problem and has so far lasted 2 years but if buying again I'd be consdiering a Victron because everyone speaks so well about them.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over Sterling products, I have been using them for many years with no problems. Often favoured for marine use because of their reliability and quality.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hello and thank you.

I gave a lot of thought to the purchase and decided on a Sterling SIBR121600 with RCD.

The Victron looks good for off-grid property use. But too expensive for the MH I feel.

I liked the look of both the Amazon ones. But as the Inverter will be subject to long hours of use, I decided something with a better backup (read good and bad about Sterling products).

Thanks again for all you replies and I will update this thread or start a new one with a review.

TM

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
We have had our Xantrex Prowatt 1400W pure sine inverter for four years. It regularly supplies 1280W to our microwave without problems.
BTW the second one you asked for comments on is available with UK sockets here
Amazon product ASIN B01GHU4CAUat a slightly better price.

EDIT:
Oh dear why can I add a amazon url?
Just search amazon for B01GHU4CAU

I could see your Amazon link when I temporarily turned off my ad blocker

Dave

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I told you Victron were the best, even straight from the box! But whilst I do not know Sterling, read the install instructions are there any dip switches that need setting etc. Inverters are peculiar when installed in a mobile metal box.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
In fact just looked at the manual and see the options when ordering of earth bonding. This is getting to the edge of my knowledge envelope but I suspect the root to your issue is here.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sterling arrived today.

When connected, it shows as Live Neutral reverse on socket tester.

When Corrected, it shows correct but blows RCD on either EHU RCD or Motorhome RCD when plugged into Mains EHU (Inverter is wired to consumer unit via a relay)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/automatic-inverter-switching.102901/#post-2273579
I'm puzzled, the concept of live and neutral doesn't apply to the output of an inverter. Not a lot of help in solving the problem, perhaps, but if you swap the outputs from the inverter and your rcd is blowing then something is wrong with the wiring. I can only suggest you check the wiring of the relay very carefully as that may be where the problem is. :)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
@sallylillian thank you, I re read using my eyes this time lol

I would connect to a temporary 13amp trailing socket and re-test

If this is ok you can re-introduced into your installation with out the changeover set up ( make sure the hook up is not available even by accident)

If this all works OK then re-introduce your changeover relay

This should help you identify what is wrong

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I'm jumping on the back of your thread to ask a question.

ETA - new thread opened.

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I am sure the above advice is a good approach to identifying the problem. I have had no problems with my Sterling inverter but I don't use a switchover relay.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The Sterling that I fitted for somebody was delivered "centre tapped" wiring so only ever 110 v to ground, the instructions said a RCD would not work, you could alter it to conventional wiring.

Don't know how this affects you though.

Martin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

I have a 300watt pure sine inverter bought and fitted in portugal for £200. Never had a moment's issue with it.

I'm a fan of smoothies and was thinking of taking my 900 watt nutribullet with me which would mean I'd need to upgrade my inverter.

Does anyone know what the difference is between paying £500+ for an inverter or paying £130 for a pure sine wave from Amazon. The reviews there seem good so I'm confused what the difference is with all these different models.

ETA - if it would be better to open a new thread please just say and I will do it.
I don't think there is a definitive answer as I don't know of any independent tests of different inverters which compares the well known brands with the cheapest. Individuals on here will have experience of a few different models and can report on their experiences but that's not the same thing.
I've fitted a cheapie and it works. Will it still be working in ten years time and might it suddenly burst into flames some time? I don't know.
If I was fitting them professionally I would only use an established make like Victron. The Amazon cheapies are a bit questionable on pedigree but I'm willing to take the chance of mine failing at some point as I can only blame myself if it does.
There's a similar issue with battery monitors. The well known makes, Victron and NASA are £100+ but you can get alternatives for £15 which seem to do the job just as well.
So, what do you do and which one do you buy? A factor is who is going to fit it. If you are doing it yourself then a cheapie would be worth considering. If you are paying someone, labour charges will be potentially a big part of the bill and the price difference between different inverters not so marked. And of course you may not find a professional prepared to fit a cheapie. :)

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the usual diffence twixt cheap and expensive is one is built down to a price and the other is built up to a reputation
but on the other hand you have to balance the situation if your invertor fails in a boat mid voyage it can have big repercussions where as going with out your smoothie for a week isnt life threatening

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

I have a 300watt pure sine inverter bought and fitted in portugal for £200. Never had a moment's issue with it.

I'm a fan of smoothies and was thinking of taking my 900 watt nutribullet with me which would mean I'd need to upgrade my inverter.

Does anyone know what the difference is between paying £500+ for an inverter or paying £130 for a pure sine wave from Amazon. The reviews there seem good so I'm confused what the difference is with all these different models.

ETA - if it would be better to open a new thread please just say and I will do it.
I think it would be best to start your own thread as inverter questions to tend to stray a bit.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
The Sterling that I fitted for somebody was delivered "centre tapped" wiring so only ever 110 v to ground, the instructions said a RCD would not work, you could alter it to conventional wiring.

Don't know how this affects you though.

Martin
That's the sort of point I was making, however Martin you have now gone outside the edge of my envelope!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

To be fair ebay'ing is a bit of a lottery. I bought a phone holder for my bike which was amazing value at under a tenner delivered. Our local bike shop wanted about £30

I then wanted a mount for an underwater video camera, about £89 from memory for a genuine retailer sold bit of kit. I paid £15 for one, which didn't fit and was a piece of junk, I complained and was offered a refund (which I am still arguing about) I ordered another one from a different manufacturer which was just as bad. So I bit the bullet and got the genuine part and am very happy with it.

If your competent enough to install a device your self, you can sort your self out if you get into a mess, so worth the risk. As an installer we only supply products that we have used our selves, tried and tested and know we can pick up a phone and get back up.

So we only supply Sterling, Dometic, Victron and Mastervolt mainly installing Dometic and Victron

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back