Recommendation for Remanufactured Boxer Engine? (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hey all. I'm after recommendations on where to purchase a remanufactured engine for a 2010 Peugeot Boxer.

From a bit of research, it seems like this is the best option as all the wearable parts are replaced and I've read these (done properly) are the next best thing to a brand new engine?

Looking for a reputable company that has a product with a proper guarantee.

Any ideas?

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Hey all. I'm after recommendations on where to purchase a remanufactured engine for a 2010 Peugeot Boxer.

From a bit of research, it seems like this is the best option as all the wearable parts are replaced and I've read these (done properly) are the next best thing to a brand new engine?

Any ideas?
Years ago used be loads of good rebuild shops. Crank regrinds headskims and cylinder bores done to high quality. Not sure if ime out of the loop now but they don’t seem to exist now or few and far apart.

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Try these blokes used to get a lot of work done by them. Denholm Reece and o,donnel. Google them in aintree liverpool

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Maybe one of the Traders on here have had cause to use one & can recommend?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
My son had his D22 nissan navara engine rebuilt a 9 years ago by billcar engineering ( if interested read up on navara self destructing engine ) - he has put another 100k on the rebuilt engine without any issues - they used to rebuild your own engine you could try them i'd stick my neck out and recommend them

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My son had his D22 nissan navara engine rebuilt a 9 years ago by billcar engineering ( if interested read up on navara self destructing engine ) - he has put another 100k on the rebuilt engine without any issues - they used to rebuild your own engine you could try them i'd stick my neck out and recommend them

That's great. My mate's had his Navara engine rebuilt twice and it still blue smokes on start up. He said he wouldn't have an engine rebuilt again by anybody, he says most rebuilders use pattern parts and you'll never get an engine as good as what came out of the factory.
I think i'd look for a scrapyard van that's been rear ended first.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
That's great. My mate's had his Navara engine rebuilt twice and it still blue smokes on start up. He said he wouldn't have an engine rebuilt again by anybody, he says most rebuilders use pattern parts and you'll never get an engine as good as what came out of the factory.
I think i'd look for a scrapyard van that's been rear ended first.
The person i mentioned rebuilt sons engine with an extended oil pickup because that is another navara issue - the crankshaft was replaced with a new one not remanufactured - engine crank bolts failed at about 56k nissan didn't want to know although aware of problem - compared to other recon engine rebuilders it was done well and realistically priced - on navara net he used to be a well respected engine rebuilder which is why my son used him

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
Years ago used be loads of good rebuild shops. Crank regrinds headskims and cylinder bores done to high quality. Not sure if ime out of the loop now but they don’t seem to exist now or few and far apart.

There were three engineering workshops I have used in the past. Boring, honing, regrinding etc. All small businesses with good reputations. All retired and businesses closed, now houses and flats where they were.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006

Thanks for that - you were the second person to mention BillCar. I've emailed them for a quote.

@Wissel, ours came from Ivor Searle, and top quality too. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Cheers Jock. A company I'm familiar with as well from years ago with a very good reputation. Also asked them for a quote this morning - in fact just had a reply already :)

Next thing I'll do is see what a brand new engine would cost. I'm guessing a hell of a lot, but worth finding out before buying a remanufactured unit ;)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Next thing I'll do is see what a brand new engine would cost. I'm guessing a hell of a lot, but worth finding out before buying a remanufactured unit ;)
The reason ours came from Ivor Searle at Soham, was because Fiat no longer produced engines for the X230, so the only alternative for the insurers was to source a re-manufactured engine. I did my homework on Ivor Searle, before I agreed to accept one of their engines. It became clear that they had an extremely good reputation, and were highly regarded in the trade. (y)
Even though they no longer produced the engine, Fiat (via Ford & Slater) still quoted £4500 to supply one, and that was back in 2007/08, so where they were going to get it from, I haven't a clue. :eek:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
There were three engineering workshops I have used in the past. Boring, honing, regrinding etc. All small businesses with good reputations. All retired and businesses closed, now houses and flats where they were.

Same in Ipswich, Phillips shut in the 60-70, Foulgers in the 80's and Dyke since 2000.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Even though they no longer produced the engine, Fiat (via Ford & Slater) still quoted £4500 to supply one, and that was back in 2007/08, so where they were going to get it from, I haven't a clue.

the ludicrous thing about Fiat spares is that everything remains on the system forever. I ordered & paid for rear spring hanger bushes from a dealer here. Went to pick them up to be given my money back & told although everything is on the computer they only manufacture spares for 14 years. Even the dealer though it was mad

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Any ideas?
Shame its a 2010 and not 2006 2.8JTD. My van is going to be scrapped in the next few months and the engine is good :(

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
After listening to advice here and elsewhere, plus getting firm quotes, a remanufactured engine might not be the best solution.

So I'm leaning towards buying a low mileage 2015ish L3H2 Boxer/Ducato, spraying it (can do that myself) and converting it with the parts I have (I have a lot ).

I'd love to buy a new L4 van, but don't have the funds for it at the moment and don't want to be waiting months. Hopefully we will get a great van this time and be back on our travels later this year (y)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back