Recommend Me 200w Solar Panels? (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I have decided to add 200w of free leccy and want some advice as to what is a good buy.

Any recommendations ?

Should I buy 2 x 100 or just 1 x 200 ?

And I assume I need some sort of regulator as well ?

Thanks in advance :)

Will have 2 x 110 AH leisure batteries

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Depends on how much real estate you have on your roof and what dimension panel will fit... Two smaller ones might fit better. Best thing to do is to have a look - don't know what roof lights you have... If any

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
ideal way is get two 100wt panels off ebay . green giant is ok . and i use these regs .Broken Link Removed
some will say no dont use pwm regs . i find they work fine and arent expensive . better to use the extra cash on fuel to travel .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Depends on how much real estate you have on your roof and what dimension panel will fit... Two smaller ones might fit better. Best thing to do is to have a look - don't know what roof lights you have... If any
Plenty of roof space on a Tranny :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Ok, get up and spend some time top of your tranny and put whatever is cheapest on.... With two panels you are doubling the cost of feet unless it comes as a kit.

Best of luck and be careful when you climb back off her........

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use ally angle . ideally across the front and rear of the panel . dont want a gap at the front incase a low branch hooks underneath .
possibly two lengths one front one rear . simple pos to pos . neg to neg wiring then down to the reg . easily done . might even later on get another bank up there .
they were 79.99 only the other week.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I bought and fitted a couple of Broken Link Removed. They seem to work very well. Better to have two fitted a bit apart. That way if the pitch is shady there is a chance that one will get some sun.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
heres my first bank of panels . i now have another bank as well.

Attachments

• P3090444.JPG
    P3090444.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 103

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I bought and fitted a couple of Broken Link Removed. They seem to work very well. Better to have two fitted a bit apart. That way if the pitch is shady there is a chance that one will get some sun.
yes they are ok as well.
mates have them .

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
They are surprisingly affordable :)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Ok, get up and spend some time top of your tranny and put whatever is cheapest on.... With two panels you are doubling the cost of feet unless it comes as a kit.

Best of luck and be careful when you climb back off her........
Don't you mean off him?

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Wherever you put them, make sure you can reach then to clean them regularly.

They don't like being dirty, don't work too well

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I decided on two of these because the only place to fit them on my Hymer was right at the front and I decided low profile was better for me, only been on a week so time will tell if they are a good investment or not but working well at the mo, I am using one of these regulaters(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
They are surprisingly affordable :)
Yes, and they have come down by a tenner from when I bought them. If you are buying two make an offer. I did and they accepted it
Wherever you put them, make sure you can reach then to clean them regularly.

They don't like being dirty, don't work too well
Good point. Mine are either side of a rooflight in the bedroom area. One of the reasons I chose that area is that I can stand on the bed area, reach through the rooflight and clean both.
I have ladders :)
Do you carry them in the motorhome though? Needed when you get some dirty rain in dusty parts of France and Spain

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I now know what sort of panels I want. Thanks :)

Now how do I fit them to the roof ? Are there standard fittings?

Any drilling involved ?

And apart from a regulator, do I need anything else ?

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You can buy standard plastic fittings to support the panel(s). However, on the advice of Andy (Techno100), I used short lengths (165mm) of 50mm x 50mm aluminium angle which I "pop riveted" to the sides of the panel to make feet. Andy recommended using 4 (one at each corner), but I adopted a belt and braces approach and put another one in the middle of each long side. I then stuck the feet to the roof using Sikaflex 512, after properly preparing the surfaces with Sika 205 cleaner.

The only hole I drilled in the roof (with trembling hands!) was for the cable to go inside the motorhome. You can buy "stick on" fittings that look like this to waterproof the hole. However I thought Broken Link Removedooked like a better engineered product so used it instead, but still stuck it down and sealed it with the Sika. You will need to buy some additional glands for the cables to go through , but the same supplier sells them.

You will also need some solar cables, and maybe joiners if you are using more than one panel, and some trunking that you stick on the roof to hide the cables and keep them from flapping around.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I wanted 200w but that would mean 2 panels and 2 of everything and double the trouble.

So instead decided to get a Biard 150w panel :)

Broken Link Removed

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
There is a company at lowerstoft that are very good service and the prices are good 01502515532

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I decided on two of these because the only place to fit them on my Hymer was right at the front and I decided low profile was better for me, only been on a week so time will tell if they are a good investment or not but working well at the mo, I am using one of these regulaters(y)

Hi Tim, how have you fitted them, .......I'm thinking of same on my Hymer, and wondering if bonding/glueing them down will be safe. (don't like the idea of drilling holes in the roof, :eek:)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Tim, how have you fitted them, .......I'm thinking of same on my Hymer, and wondering if bonding/glueing them down will be safe. (don't like the idea of drilling holes in the roof, :eek:)

Hi Andy
I've stuck them down with Sikaflex, a blob on each corner, two down each side and a thin bead along the front so that the slipstream dosn't get under them, I figured that way lets a little bit of air get underneath to cool them and I can still get a thin bladed knife or cheese wire in there if they ever need to come off.

there is no need for any screws and as long as your prep work is good there is know way they will ever come off, I tried to remove some redundant alloy brackets stuck to the roof with Sikaflex and had to give up on two of them cos they were stuck so well.

It also pays to leave a couple of mm of Sikaflex rather than pushing them hard onto the roof that way they stick better and its easier to get something in there if they ever do need to come off(y)

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Hi Andy
I've stuck them down with Sikaflex, a blob on each corner, two down each side and a thin bead along the front so that the slipstream dosn't get under them, I figured that way lets a little bit of air get underneath to cool them and I can still get a thin bladed knife or cheese wire in there if they ever need to come off.

there is no need for any screws and as long as your prep work is good there is know way they will ever come off, I tried to remove some redundant alloy brackets stuck to the roof with Sikaflex and had to give up on two of them cos they were stuck so well.

It also pays to leave a couple of mm of Sikaflex rather than pushing them hard onto the roof that way they stick better and its easier to get something in there if they ever do need to come off(y)

Thanks mate, that's what I thought..........(y)

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
two panels = one regulator . get higher amp reg than you need then you can add more panels if you want :p STAN

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
3mm tile spacers(plastic + shape ) underneath to give you the correct depth of Sika.:) (y)

Make sure your regulator is MPPT type.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
In a nutshell, a MPPT regulator will pass more usable power to the battery on a dull(ish) day.

In strong sunlight, there is less difference between the two types.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
This is my baby, sleeps under the seating next to my extra battery I added at the same time as panel, the black dollop with a red wire protruding is my trip switch fuse between regulator and battery bank (2 x 110Ah jobbies).(matched pair as advised here) The other red wire (comes off the pos. terminal on Batts) disappearing off to the left is my wire going to the vehicle battery with another trip switch near it, so that I can isolate that wire when I fire up the elastic band. This is for when no sunshine and or in her shed on EHU. My onboard charger doesn't do anything for my vehicle battery, however my alarm, radio and other unknowns munch away at my veh. battery. You could permanently install a Lidl/Aldi charger and plug it in when on EHU. Whatever floats your boat ? At the moment I don't do much winter cruising but during the Summer the panel zapped in all the amps I was able to use, and more ! 165W Panel
Do a search for solar, Trikeman did a good photographic expose on his installation. (y)

PS. Someone did the figures and the MPPT regulators were well worth the extra.

DSC_3766.JPG

40396-3bfd7e9373598eaef5c1327f886bc2c8.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back