Recommend an OBD reader please (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Would like one that will reset any found faults or errors, handheld and not bothered about Bluetooth or apps....

Many thanks..(y)

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
You need to specify the make and model of vehicle unless you're prepared to pay £1,000s if you want to read and clear ANY error codes. For Fiat it has to be either Multiecuscan or Ficom. Both are software that runs on Windows devices and you'll need the correct connector cables and possibly a VCI as well.

If you want a generic reader that will only read the main ECUs there are lots.

In either case you can only clear codes successfully if they related to an intermittent condition that has not recurred, or you have fixed the fault that caused them to appear.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You need to specify the make and model of vehicle unless you're prepared to pay £1,000s if you want to read and clear ANY error codes. For Fiat it has to be either Multiecuscan or Ficom. Both are software that runs on Windows devices and you'll need the correct connector cables and possibly a VCI as well.

If you want a generic reader that will only read the main ECUs there are lots.

In either case you can only clear codes successfully if they related to an intermittent condition that has not recurred, or you have fixed the fault that caused them to appear.

It’s for my van, fiat 2.3 comformatic, it’s just to see what’s going on and reset any warnings/faults that might come up

Thanks, most helpful..(y)

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
i doubt either of these will read a diesel fiat commercial email them first to check

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
They will almost certainly read emissions related fault codes and allow you to clear them but what use is that when the fault causing the codes isn't being rectified? The fault code will just be created again.

D.

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Unless you are able to DIY swap Crank sensors, injectors, DPF filters etc etc then any old generic OBD reader will do the job nicely (I paid £4 for a Bluetooth jobbie from Fleabay), it will reset most engine check lights and service indicators etc anything more than that will be a dealer job.

For my toy car I have the full tuning hardware and software, but that’s £700 to do the full job properly (GM LS all engines)

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back