Recommend a Toilet Chemical (1 Viewer)

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Folks

Do us a favour please and recommend a decent chemical we can use in the RV black tank.

In the US we used Thetford Supreme Green, but over here we have just used (I think) Aqua Kem Green.

The reason Im not sure what the UK one is called is that we poured it out of the bulky container and into an empty US one with measuring spout.

The UK one is nowhere near as good as the Supreme Green, so what could others suggest please ?

Thanks
Paul

PS I know many of you prefer not to use anything, but that option doesn't appeal to us ::bigsmile:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Paul

I keep Supreme Green drop ins if that is of any use. I can also bring in gallon bottles but probably not till Jan.

PM me if you want any.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
BioMagic is the dogs doodahhs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We don't use any chemicals in the black tank, mind you with five of us there is never to long between black tank dumps. Things would have to be bad for me to pour money down the loo.

Ran out of chemical once when using a cassette loo, spent two weeks without and to be honest, emptying everyday, you didn't really notice. Chemicals, all are bad for your wallet and most are bad for the environment. Why use them?

OP
OP
U

ukrv

Deleted User
Thanks All

Jim, I have read the article several times over the last 18 months.

TBH I have a problem with the very first paragraph - the bits about finding the end of the vent pipe etc etc just confuse me and sound too complicated.

If I was a mechanically minded get-yer-hands dirty kind of guy I guess it wouldn't be such an issue - unfortunately I can just about manage a screwdriver (flathead only :ROFLMAO:).

As such, I go with the majority who use the easy option of chemicals.

Paul

PS Linda I will PM you.

Geoff

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Evesham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on & off for 20 yrs
We have never used chemicals in our tank either and been fulltiming for over a year.. they are not required.

An RV black tank is like a giant SOG system, only better. :winky:

MACERATORS AND OTHER SEWAGE STUFF

Hi Jim.

If I am reading your post and the link correctly, provided the vent pipe is fitted as it should be the system does not need a fan as in the S.O.G. system. I had been toying with the idea of inserting a small fan in the vent pipe, but if it is not needed I shan't bother.

Regards Geoff.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim.

If I am reading your post and the link correctly, provided the vent pipe is fitted as it should be the system does not need a fan as in the S.O.G. system. I had been toying with the idea of inserting a small fan in the vent pipe, but if it is not needed I shan't bother.

Regards Geoff.

Hi Geoff

It would do no harm but really not needed, the natural draught is more than adequate to vent the gas ..

Another point, if the toilet is used as per instructions there is no way smells will enter the van.. the blade valve should be kept closed and the bowl partially filled with water before using. Sorry if this is teaching granny to suck eggs but I've known quite a few who don't.

OP
OP
U

ukrv

Deleted User
Jim

How shall I put this nicely, whilst people are eating Sunday lunch..:ROFLMAO:

If you flush and the deposit has gone, but you still have a bit of spraying with the wand then the flap stays open - hence the smell coming thru hole. :Eeek:

Paul

OP
OP
U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi

No - as soon as you push the pedal, the flap opens and you get a "thud" or a "ker-plunk" when it hits the bottom. :ROFLMAO:

If it's getting fuller, you tend to look down to get a feel for the fill-level (as the gauge is not always 100%).

It has been known for a ker-plunk to result in a "back-splash" and you have to be sure to get your head out the way :Eeek:

Sorry Guys - but this IS important stuff - perhaps even a sticky :roflmto:

Paul

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Paul

I've had the 'back splash' when the tank is brimming full, not on my face mind you .. :Doh:.

Anyway, back top the solution .. the porta poti gang give good reports for Link Removed

Keith and Debs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
In Our RV
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
3 Years
Hi
We Have been living full time in our RV for almost 3 years now and the black tank has never seen any chemicals and we just use regular household type loo paper.
The special loo paper is a con you dont need it and you dont need chemicals, as someone said earlier in the thread why flush money down the toilet.

We never have any problems with smells and really to all intents and purposes just treat the loo in the truck the same as we did the loo in the house.

Sometimes we use the macerator when we empty sometimes we dont depends on the facilities we have available. but never ever have we used chemicals ya just dont need them...

Keith n Debs

MotorhomeWales

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Try Thetfords new Aqua Kem Natural...........

Aqua Kem Natural. Effective toilet pearls for daily use. Aqua Kem Natural has a pleasant neutral scent and biological action. The toilet pearls, pre-packaged in handy, lightweight pouches (one pouch = one dose) biologically stimulate the breakdown of waste in the toilet’s waste-holding tank. Aqua Kem Natural can be emptied into a septic tank*. With average use, Aqua Kem Natural acts for a maximum of three to four days.

From Thetfords website

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back