Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suspect, as some others have said, that as it looks like a minibus on one side it doesn't meet the requirement for to be clearly identifiable as a camper/motorhome. Perhaps putting on some decals to say 'campervan' or similar would solve the problem and make it clear it is a camper and not a minibus which I assume it was when originally made.

This is the bit I think you are falling foul of as the graphics don't sufficiently differentiate it as a motor caravan.

1596100005043.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Wind out awning is fitted to nearside, see photo, it has an opening side window in the sliding door and an electric step that isn’t asked for but all adds with the decals to the Motorcaravan ambiance, short of taking the person away with us and cooking him a meal on our Deisel powered hob and microwave, I am flummoxed as to what I can do exempt I suppose I can have a ‘adventure before dementia’ sticker on the side, but that may be a ly as some days I think Dementia has already set in 🤪🤪🤪View attachment 411395
DVLA must be blind, no way does that look like anything other than a Motorhome/camper.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I can confirm from personal experience that the visual appearance is a hogwash explanation

Classify this vehicle for me if you can not the Mini I know thats a Car
18767757_10158800205700187_7838081928224765516_n.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
The ironic thing is that the DVLA are saying that they are doing this as it how the police and other authorities would describe the van. During the lock down period how many vehicles looking like the OP's would be ignored by the police assuming it was not a campervan.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Flat bed truck?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No point dragging it out as your all attuned to DVLA now
When I built it from a whit rose weekly shopping delivery thingy iw was just a van
in my infinite wisdom when i had finished I thought it looked like a recovery vehicle almost identical apart from age to my previous "Recovery" vehicle, I was wrong I sent in the request please re classify as a Recovery vehicle The reply I got was
Sorry this classification is not possible, the correct class is FLAT BED LORRY see new vt5 :doh:

I replied with these two pics and said I sent 4 of my employees and a visiting PC outside and said if wanted the recovery bringing in which one would you pick
I got exactly the same response even Plod said if reported it stolen as a flat bed, my recovery would not be on his radar i was fuming, that was 5 years ago its still a flatbed lorry
So Pleeeeeeese dont tell me it's a visual thing

mercedes-sprinter-vehicle-transporter-24121849e7fe-798x466.jpg
s-l1600 (14).jpg

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Assuming you are not using all the side windows, perhaps you could apply white sticky backed plastic/Fablon over the redundant windows to break up that long expanse of glass. This would make it less like a hotel bus and more like a campervan. The roof does not look particularly high, if you cannot stand up easily in the van that can cause a problem with DVLA.
Van is a High top with loads of headroom, thanks for the suggestion re. Breaking the window outline up with fablon, but I wanted the clean straight through glass look when I planned the conversion. I am not a lover of plastic caravan windows they are generally cheaply made and a security issue.

Suvvi

Free Member
Sep 14, 2018
East Lothian
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer conversion
Exp
Caravan's and tents to date..
I've just had the same result however I wasn't adding an extra window on one side for the sake of it and the roll out awning is an option even on high end campers so why is that a distinguishable feature? I have a Fiamma bike rack on the back of ours they still rejected it as a camper.

As for your conversion, it has all the features on the checklist as far as I can see and have no idea why they have rejected it.

It was interesting reading in the previous post about the speed limits and good to know I can get the foot down on the way to the continent however should probably knock a few mph off on the road back with all the booze I'm carrying!

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
The above link https://www.jerbacampervans.co.uk/motorcaravan-and-campervan-speed-limits/ states the below.....I wonder where has the highlighted text has came from and if correct has any relevance?

Just to confuse, the DVLA have a different definition of a motorcaravan (the classification under Body Type section D5 on your V5C Registration Certificate) which was of course updated in 2019 to include a fixed high top roof, an awning “bar” on both sides, motorcaravan style exterior graphic etc;
Not true, awning bar on either side ,not both sides.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
would the Police think it was a 17 seater minibus rather than a camper van ?
hich is why the police want to be able to tell at a glance whether a van is likely to be commercial or a camper van.
Can you explain to me where all these "police" are ? i've never seen a proper one only the doughnut men?
If we are talking off cameras ,they don't count as could be any one viewing .

Which plainly states under 3,05T national speed limit & with dvla's explanation

Great, but the OP vehicle is classed as a Van With Windows NOT a motor caravan.
If you’re happy that your campervan fulfils the description of “permanently installed equipment, the facilities which are reasonably necessary for enabling the vehicle to provide mobile living accommodation for its users”, then the national speed limits apply.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Not true, awning bar on either side ,not both sides.
Well that’s what I thought too, as I certainly haven’t seen that in any of the DVLA documentation.

My point being if that was wrong in that link that was posted.....what else was wrong from that source.

As my original post....it’s a lottery who reviews your application on the day. 😤

Blue lagoon

Free Member
Sep 14, 2018
Funster No
MH
Citroen relay xlwb
Exp
4 years
I have also recently tried to change the classification of my Citroen Relay from Van to Motor caravan and have had the same response in that it has been reclassified as a van with windows.

Whilst everyone is correct in that it doesn't alter the way you can you the vehicle it does impinge quite significantly on one issue which has not previously been raised.

My van is very close to the weight limit of 3500kg. Now that in itself is not a problem, per se, as it is based on the heavy duty chassis and running gear and therefore it can be re-plated to 3900 or 4200kg as a "paper exercise" without any equipment upgrades.

However, there is a problem... if it had been classified as a motor caravan then the re-plating is just a paper exercise. As it has been classified as a van with windows then it is still a commercial vehicle and if I want to re-plate it at a higher weight then it is subject to different rules. This means I would have to install tachograph and be subject to different speed limits plus driver hours limitations which obviously is too restrictive.

So, just a word of caution to those of you carrying out a conversion .... if you need to re-plate the van the classification of the van IS important!

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We're looking at an almost completed self-conversion on a 2007 LDV Maxus with 988k on the clock: the previous MOT said 187k (any comments about that gratefully received, but most importantly, any known problems with those vehicles).

HOWEVER, my major request concerns Body Type: DVLA say it can only be reclassified if it has a number of types on the V5c but this one has nothing (it used to be an ambulance until 2014): CAN it be reclassified? Do we have to go for "van with windows" first?

I can't get any online insurance quotes but I guess will just have to make some phone calls to get an idea of the cost. The previous owner was with Aegeas through Adrian Flux on an agreed value policy.: again, all comments gratefully received.

TIA - Gordon

Deleted User
To be considered for change of classification to Motor Caravan the vehicle has to be one of the types listed below. Is your van still classified as an Ambulance, if not then what is it classified as.
With regard the change to Van with Windows, this is the classification you are likely to get if asking the DVLA to re-classify it as a Motor Caravan assuming you have followed the DVLA guidelines for the conversion.

Current body type shown on your V5C registration certificate (log book)
DVLA will only consider changing the body type to motor caravan if the body type shown on your V5C registration certificate (log book) is currently one of the following:

• ambulance
  • box van
  • goods
  • insulated van
  • light goods
  • light van
  • livestock carrier
  • Luton van
  • minibus
  • MPV (multi-purpose vehicle)
  • panel van
  • specially fitted van
  • special mobile unit
  • van with side windows

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If it is already a "van with windows " what then do they reclassify it as ?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Hang some curtains in the windows, strap a surfboard on the roof might help😀

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I asked Wikipedia the definition of a camper van

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
To be considered for change of classification to Motor Caravan the vehicle has to be one of the types listed below. Is your van still classified as an Ambulance, if not then what is it classified as.
With regard the change to Van with Windows, this is the classification you are likely to get if asking the DVLA to re-classify it as a Motor Caravan assuming you have followed the DVLA guidelines for the conversion.

DVLA will only consider changing the body type to motor caravan if the body type shown on your V5C registration certificate (log book) is currently one of the following:

• ambulance
  • box van
  • goods
  • insulated van
  • light goods
  • light van
  • livestock carrier
  • Luton van
  • minibus
  • panel van
  • specially fitted van
  • special mobile unit
  • van with side windows
But why if you complete the conversion including all the stated requirements do they not change the classification toMotor caravan ? what’s the point of changing the rules, if those that keep to their end of the procedure. I am still waiting for a response to my request for them to tell me what I have missed

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006

• ambulance
  • box van
  • goods
  • insulated van
  • light goods
  • light van
  • livestock carrier
  • Luton van
  • minibus
  • panel van
  • specially fitted van
  • special mobile unit
  • van with side windows

THAT is the problem: the "body type" is TOTALLY BLANK

So what do we do?

Thanks - Gordon

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Great, but the OP vehicle is classed as a Van With Windows NOT a motor caravan.
it makes no difference what the body type is the speed limits are based on unladen weight in uk, i believe they are on gross weight in europe

Deleted User
[/QUOTE]
TH=at seems like a mistake
THAT is the problem: the "body type" is TOTALLY BLANK

So what do we do?

Thanks - Gordon
Okay, see your problem. Never heard of that before, no option but to try and get in touch with DVLA

Deleted User
But why if you complete the conversion including all the stated requirements do they not change the classification toMotor caravan ? what’s the point of changing the rules, if those that keep to their end of the procedure. I am still waiting for a response to my request for them to tell me what I have missed
No one seems to be able to understand what the DVLA are after. They say the vehicle will be classified depending upon how it looks in traffic. If you had a number of different types of vehicles and asked members of the public to describe them then you will get answers such as Van, Campervan or Motorhome but I can't imaging anyone using the description Van with Windows.
Good luck with your request but you will probably find they will not give you an answer.
Perhaps it is time for everyone to complain to their MP and asking them to find out what the DVLA are wanting.

Deleted User
it makes no difference what the body type is the speed limits are based on unladen weight in uk, i believe they are on gross weight in europe
I thought speed limits for motor caravans were different to vans. If a van is re classified as van with windows but the interior has changed to meet the DVLA requirements then motor caravan speed limits applyl

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We're looking at an almost completed self-conversion on a 2007 LDV Maxus with 988k on the clock: the previous MOT said 187k (any comments about that gratefully received, but most importantly, any known problems with those vehicles).

HOWEVER, my major request concerns Body Type: DVLA say it can only be reclassified if it has a number of types on the V5c but this one has nothing (it used to be an ambulance until 2014): CAN it be reclassified? Do we have to go for "van with windows" first?

I can't get any online insurance quotes but I guess will just have to make some phone calls to get an idea of the cost. The previous owner was with Aegeas through Adrian Flux on an agreed value policy.: again, all comments gratefully received.

TIA - Gordon
It's not unknown for ambulances to have gone round the clock, we had one many years ago and it too have a what appeared to be a low mileage for the year but obviously it had gone round the clock once. As ambulances they are very well looked after so other than some tin worm in the cab the mechanicals were in great nick.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I thought speed limits for motor caravans were different to vans. If a van is re classified as van with windows but the interior has changed to meet the DVLA requirements then motor caravan speed limits applyl
For info:

1597784859518.png

Deleted User
For info:

View attachment 416903
In post #20 I have copied an email from the DVLA which confirms speed limits applicable to converted vans. It clearly says speed limits depend upon how the vehicle is configured for use and does not depend upon the V5 classification.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back