Tim Forsey

Free Member
Apr 15, 2015
Newark
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Biggest issue is a 2010 T5 van written off would get max 8k 2010 California 28k so if V5 says van or widow van expect insurance settlement for the same.

Deleted User
Biggest issue is a 2010 T5 van written off would get max 8k 2010 California 28k so if V5 says van or widow van expect insurance settlement for the same.
You can insure on an agreed value basis to take into account conversion costs.

The body type does not affect the insurance category of the vehicle, or have any effect on speed limits or other legislative requirements. It is only used for establishing vehicle appearance and identification.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
it makes no difference what the body type is the speed limits are based on unladen weight in uk, i believe they are on gross weight in europe

I think you might be wrong about this .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
i think im not
Have you read post #20 or the DVLA conversion guide which clearly states

The body type does not affect the insurance category of the vehicle, or have any effect on speed limits or other legislative requirements. It is only used for establishing vehicle appearance and identification.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
DVLA refers to UK the other quote was ref Europe

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We register a lot of vintage tractors, doing it yourself is a bit similar to these posts but there are clubs for all makes of tractors, and they will do the paperwork for you and sign that the tractor is what it says and DVLA accept this and it comes back registered useually with no problems.
Now would it help if we could get someone like Jim to do the same thing to put the weight of a club behind the application.
It wasn't any trouble when we did our ambulance, took a couple of goes but it wasn't DVLA fault more me filling the thing up wrong which wouldn't have happened in the thing I suggested above.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019

Attachments

• 220E3BAC-2466-42BD-9D33-DD706C69DE0C.jpeg
    220E3BAC-2466-42BD-9D33-DD706C69DE0C.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 16

Deleted User
We register a lot of vintage tractors, doing it yourself is a bit similar to these posts but there are clubs for all makes of tractors, and they will do the paperwork for you and sign that the tractor is what it says and DVLA accept this and it comes back registered useually with no problems.
Now would it help if we could get someone like Jim to do the same thing to put the weight of a club behind the application.
It wasn't any trouble when we did our ambulance, took a couple of goes but it wasn't DVLA fault more me filling the thing up wrong which wouldn't have happened in the thing I suggested above.
I think there has been representation from other forums but no clear response from the DVLA. It seems they have decided that any van conversion will be classified as 'Van with Windows', no matter if it meets exactly the guidelines published by the DVLA. This is not really a problem as the DVLA clearly state the V5 description is to describe what the vehicle looks like in traffic and does not affect how the vehicle is used.
What I find confusing is that the DVLA give a list of vehicle types that will consider for reclassification to Motor Caravan and the list includes Panel Vans, Ambulance, Minibus but then they reclassify them as 'Van with Windows'
I think a better approach would be either a complaint to local MP and ask them to get involved or perhaps a freedom of information request into what is the exact reason for refusing a reclassification to Motor Caravan as at the moment they are refusing to say why the vehicle did not get reclassified as a Motor Caravan.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In post #20 I have copied an email from the DVLA which confirms speed limits applicable to converted vans. It clearly says speed limits depend upon how the vehicle is configured for use and does not depend upon the V5 classification.
And? I was just posting some info ... :rolleyes:

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
It's not unknown for ambulances to have gone round the clock, we had one many years ago and it too have a what appeared to be a low mileage for the year but obviously it had gone round the clock once. As ambulances they are very well looked after so other than some tin worm in the cab the mechanicals were in great nick.

Thanks. We've got our fingers crossed as it appears OK and has just passed its MOT.

Looking at several Maxus vans and their MOT history gives me the impression that odometer failure is common: over 50% jump 600k between annual tests! "Ours" has jumped 700k which requires driving 365 days, 24h per day at an average speed of 79.9mph: UNLIKELY :rolleyes: .

I've read several reports on how poor these vans are but I think we're going to take the plunge. We have history for 2y as an ambulance and a couple of years afterwards, but it needs a full service and we're debating changing the cambelt/water pump.

Gordon

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
When i bought my van the converter had the same problem and it was classified as a van with windows, it has full tinted glass down both sides. I had a local sign company cover the middle of the class then took fresh pictures and as I live near Swansea took all the paperwork and picture to the DVLA office.

The reception clerk looked at the documents then handed the pictures back to me and said she would pass the forms to the relevant department, the amended v5 came back a few days later with motor caravan as the type. This was about 7 years ago. I removed the vinyl a few days later.

I think it's got tougher to get it changed now.
IMG_1494.JPG
IMG_1498.JPG

Chriseui

Free Member
Jun 22, 2017
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
X250 LWB Van Conversion
Exp
I'm really glad I completed my re-registration back in 2018;) I'm not sure if this will help anyone but I've attached a copy of the documentary evidence I sent to DVLA. Of course with the recent changes means you would now need decals and awning etc on the outside.

As others have said I was looking for a clean look and didn't fancy plastic windows.

One comment on the requirement for an awning: most awnings I've looked at weigh in between 30-45 Kilos, that's nearly 10% of my available load capacity! Once you get two adults and a large dog on board it doesn't leave much spare for the rest of your load. For that reason some people don't want an awning......

Attachments

• Relay DVLA letter-redacted.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • QVFE6139.JPG
    QVFE6139.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 16

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm really glad I completed my re-registration back in 2018;) I'm not sure if this will help anyone but I've attached a copy of the documentary evidence I sent to DVLA. Of course with the recent changes means you would now need decals and awning etc on the outside.

As others have said I was looking for a clean look and didn't fancy plastic windows.

One comment on the requirement for an awning: most awnings I've looked at weigh in between 30-45 Kilos, that's nearly 10% of my available load capacity! Once you get two adults and a large dog on board it doesn't leave much spare for the rest of your load. For that reason some people don't want an awning......
My interpretation is that the awning isn't an actually requirement, just one of the things that will help identify a vehicle as a camper/MH rather than a 'van with windows' and thus help with the reclassification, so long as other things are done to make it 'look' like a MH then an awning isn't a necessity.

If a vehicle looks like a 'van with windows' with no easily discernible features to show it is a MH then IMV that's why they are being refused which is my view regarding the camper of Otter Spotter as it still looks like a minibus ... some graphics saying 'camper' or such like would probably solve the issue he has.

Deleted User
The DVLA have tightened up their guidelines and it is almost impossible to get a converted van reclassified as Motor Caravan. Vans with several additional windows, roof lights, solar panels, body graphics etc are getting turned down.
As has been mentioned several times in the past, the V5 description makes no difference to how the vehicle is used, the determining factor is how the vehicle is configured for use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back