Free Member
Mar 27, 2019
Midlands
Funster No
MH
MB SWB conversion
Exp
Not long
Hi All, as I am very new to this, I need advice on DVLA specifications for reclassification. Would it be illegal to not reclasslfy, and do I definitely need motor home insurance. Would welcome any advice

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You don't have to reclassify if you don't want to, it can remain as a commercial van.
As for insurance, if it remains a van it can only be insured as a van so any conversion done to it won't be insured. It will just be classed as cargo and as such won't be covered.
If converted properly its going to cost a few thousand so it's worth reclassifying, and the insurance will probably be cheaper any way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SharonSaid

Free Member
Mar 27, 2019
Midlands
Funster No
MH
MB SWB conversion
Exp
Not long
Thanks so much for your reply, in what way would you consider a proper conversion, fitting shower, running water etc.? I only have a SWB so can't fit too much and still have room to stand We've fitted a bed, storage, sink and cooking facilities....was really concerned that to reclassify we would have to have table and seating as well as water storage. Really glad we don't necessarily have to change V5C.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
It's a shame they are so insistent on permanent two ring burners or microwaves, perhaps some industry lobbying got that in there.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks so much for your reply, in what way would you consider a proper conversion, fitting shower, running water etc.? I only have a SWB so can't fit too much and still have room to stand We've fitted a bed, storage, sink and cooking facilities....was really concerned that to reclassify we would have to have table and seating as well as water storage. Really glad we don't necessarily have to change V5C.
Click the blue text in my post Sharon, it tells you EVERYTHING you need to know.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...to-a-motorhome#motor-caravan-minimum-features

The conversion must also look like a Motorhome on the outside.... Decals, possibly awning etc.

AFAIK that was the case for a short while, but not any more,

Look at the page that @pappajohn linked to & you will see all you need to know

Motor caravan minimum features.

In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features:

A door that provides access to the living accommodation

A bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet - this can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle

A water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle

A seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table

A permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe

A permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity

At least one window on the side of the accommodation

If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
AFAIK that was the case for a short while, but not any more

Still is the case.
A screen grab of the same page as above but showing text above motor caravan minimum features.

Therefore, the body type will not be changed unless the exterior of the vehicle actually appears to be a motor home.

Motor caravan minimum features
In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features:

• a door that provides access to the living accommodation
  • a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet - this can be converted

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
Still is the case.

Decals, awning, etc. no longer needed. As @Nasher said, the DVLA were interpreting the requirements very strictly some years ago, but in response to lobbying from the SBMCC amongst others now adopt a more relaxed interpretation.

Still doesn't mean you can throw a mattress in a van and call it done :D

(Got ours reclassified last month - no decals or awning :) )

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Decals, awning, etc. no longer needed. As @Nasher said, the DVLA were interpreting the requirements very strictly some years ago, but in response to lobbying from the SBMCC amongst others now adopt a more relaxed interpretation.

Still doesn't mean you can throw a mattress in a van and call it done :D

(Got ours reclassified last month - no decals or awning :) )

I have reclassified 2 vans & none of the submitted photos showed decals or awnings - but both had side windows and met all the other listed criteria

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well, I stand corrected even thought it's still on the DVLA website.
I guess not many builders vans are going to have a few plastic double skin opening windows and a single door half way down one side so yes, that still makes it look like a Motorhome.

OP
OP
S

SharonSaid

Free Member
Mar 27, 2019
Midlands
Funster No
MH
MB SWB conversion
Exp
Not long
Thanks a lot for your advice folks, i'm going to enjoy this site! If i've understood correctly this means that if i do want to reclassify i have to follow the DVLA criteria - but i could continue to insure as a goods vehicle and not reclassify. It would have been helpful if appropriate DVLA page had made that clear. That's great because it was a conscious decision not to install table and seating. Love wild camping and wanted to be a stealthy vehicle, and wanted to keep inside facilities to a minimum.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks a lot for your advice folks, i'm going to enjoy this site!
To do that Sharon you're going to have to part company with 15 of our finest British pounds.

You only get 5 free posts the you must subscribe to continue.
You will be able to read the forums but not reply in any way otherwise.

See SUBSCRIBE at the top of each page

Deleted User
T... i could continue to insure as a goods vehicle and not reclassify...
It would be a good idea to check with your current insurer to see if they are happy for you to modify the van BEFORE you start work on it. Whether you intend to try and meet the DVLA criteria or not, some insurers are not happy at people cutting holes in their vans and/or fixing things 'permanently' inside them. Someone I know fitted a flettner vent in the roof of his van and his insurers loaded his premium by £80 ... needless to say he changed insurers next year to one that didn't care about the vent!! If you don't tell your insurers that you have modified your van and they are one of the fussy ones, they might refuse to pay out if you were unfortunate enough to have to make a claim.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back