Rechargable battery construction-interesting. (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
@Gromett in particular.
The Life Scientific on BBC Radio 4 at 9am features a scientist who is working on battery technology to be used in electric cars.
Thought some of you might be interested.

Richard.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Gromett in particular.
The Life Scientific on BBC Radio 4 at 9am features a scientist who is working on battery technology to be used in electric cars.
Thought some of you might be interested.

Richard.
9am. There is only one 9 o'clock in a day and it certainly isn't in the morning... Who comes up with such daft ideas :p

My guess is that it is super capacitors again and this particular gentleman has discovered that the material used in contact lenses makes a great dielectric. He is working on scaling it up?

I have heard this before. Until they fix the two serious issues with super capacitors I can't see them being fully usefull as the primary storage method in electric cars. The two issues are energy density which I believe this discovery helps fix. The other is that super capacitors lose their charge over time at a hellish rate. Not sure he has fixed that one?

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry if I woke you @Gromett. I should have realised you would be living in US time mode. :D
The subject of the programme was actually a female chemist who has spent many years working on lithium iron chemistry and studying how the chemistry works and can be improved.
Research is now being done on lithium air and lithium magnesium batteries, among others, but it could be 15 years before these are commonly available.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Damn life. Everything medical or scientific or roads will be ready in 15 years.

Is this deliberate to upset me ?
It's tough ain't it!
When we were young whippersnappers it didn't matter that things like that took so long, we had all the time in the world.
Now we start thinking that we might never see it. Time, like many things, becomes a bit more valuable and important when it's in short supply. :(

Richard.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Damn life. Everything medical or scientific or roads will be ready in 15 years.

Is this deliberate to upset me ?

Yup as a kid in the 70's and a science fiction and science nerd I was expecting to be living on Mars by the year 2000 with lots of amazing technology.
Got some of it, but space was a dissapointment until now. At 46 years old, I hope to be able to see a Mars Colony still. Probably won't be able to go myself unfortunately...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry if I woke you @Gromett. I should have realised you would be living in US time mode. :D
The subject of the programme was actually a female chemist who has spent many years working on lithium iron chemistry and studying how the chemistry works and can be improved.
Research is now being done on lithium air and lithium magnesium batteries, among others, but it could be 15 years before these are commonly available.

Richard.

Canadian time actually. Should still be in bed, but a combination of Chainsaw work and UPS guy meant I was up early.

Lithium Iron is what I will be using for my new build next year. LiFePO4 for those that don't know chemistry the Fe is the Iron. Which is not not the same as Ion in Lithium Ion battery ;)

Lithium air looks promising. But there is also work being done on using other chemistries such as sodium which also look good.

For ground based system such as grid storage I really like the look of redox flow batteries.

Loads of interesting stuff around, but I can't see any of it being relevant to cars in the near future.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's tough ain't it!
When we were young whippersnappers it didn't matter that things like that took so long, we had all the time in the world.
Now we start thinking that we might never see it. Time, like many things, becomes a bit more valuable and important when it's in short supply. :(

Richard.
Yeah, but we didn't have internet so never got to hear about it anyway.
Imagine what it must have been like waiting for the great inventions .....electricity, manned flight, internal combustion engine, penicillin, anaesthetic...the world must have been on tenterhooks just waiting to hear about those......not.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I was expecting to be ...

So much was promised. ZETA - electricity so cheap they would not charger for it. Robots doing all the work so a life of leisure. That's from the 60s.

They could not have got it more wrong. ZETA never worked and in any case the infrastructure still costs.

They were close with robots, but did not allow for greed and the bean counters just tossing the workers on the scrap heap.

Mars, could there possibly be a viable colony there ? Could they really survive, sane, with no atmosphere stuck in cramped quarters ? Could they find and use enough resources to maintain life long term when humans on Earth are extinct ?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Mars, could there possibly be a viable colony there ? Could they really survive, sane, with no atmosphere stuck in cramped quarters ? Could they find and use enough resources to maintain life long term when humans on Earth are extinct ?
Yes it is viable, whether it is feasible is another matter.

Bear in mind once a colony is established mining the asteroid becomes much easier so raw materials a not an issue. Oxygen from water via electrolysis. Metals and minerals are practically unlimited out in the solar system with no environmental concerns. Science fiction has already given answers to most of the questions posed.

Quarters won't be cramped long term as you would tunnel on Mars while terraforming took place. You would quite likely drop water asteroids on the opposite side to where you lived. You wouldn't need to worry too much about atmospheric problems as you would be living underground. This would thicken the atmosphere up to give additional protection over time.

Aquaponics is a well established method of food production and by the time we are talking about a colony on Mars I would guess grown meat will be cheap and an everyday item.

I honestly can't think of any technical reasons why we could be self sustaining pretty much anywhere in the solar system within the asteroid belt.

Initially obviously the colony would be fully dependent on earth for it's survival but over time it would require less and less and eventually be self sustaining.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back