Reattach decals (1 Viewer)

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Are you fitting new decals or attempting to stick down the originals where they are lifting ?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi,

I'm no expert at what you are attempting to do but your choice of adhesive is of great importance.
This weekend I used Evostick Impact to glue some old but unused Fablon to a plastic surface.
Where there was a slight excess amount of glue,(and I mean slight!) the surface of the Fablon 'puckered' as if 'caught' by a flame. I managed to flatten it but thought you should be aware.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm sorry to say but it's nearly impossible I've tried. There's a guy on eBay that does graphics for loads of MoHo's.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thanks guys I was thinking of clear silicone
It's the graphics themselves that's the problem. Where they have curled away from the MoHo they will have gone hard at the edges plus there will be adhesive residue on them or the metal.
Good luck though. (y)

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Thanks guys I was thinking of clear silicone
No definitely not.
Very carefully clean the body side of the van, get some contact adhesive and heat it in hot water to make it less viscous. Add the adhesive to both the van and the back of the decal keeping both apart until the glue becomes tacky.
Now, using a hairdryer or heat gun gently heat the decal, be careful not to "Cook it" , all you are trying to achieve is to make it plyable and soft and malible. Carefully push the decal back into place and squeeze air from the inner part of the decal to the edge.
This job is tricky, can go wrong easily by overheating or glue melting the decal...... but if you take time and work slowly you should get it back into shape...... failing that
as someone stated, replace the decals from a supplier on eBay or get a local sign maker to make you up some.
Hope this helps,

Jon

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
I am afraid you have little chance to no chance at all
post a photo I my be able to help but if they have started to lift there will be dirt behind them and will never go back down if there only lifting slightly try and cut the bit that lift carefully with a scallpale knife to prevent the rest from lifting lose a bit to safe the rest you could try a lighter on the lifting section which will soften the glue and reactivate it but be very carful as to much heat will curl the graphic

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I would have said try a hair dryer to gently warm the panel and the graphics. So long as there isn't dirt behind the lifted graphic, then gentle warming may soften and reactivate the adhesive. I would be very careful if using a lighter as just a bit too close and your graphic is knacked.
If theres a bit of dirt behind, a bit of meths on a small brush may clean and degrease, when dry gentle heat as suggested may do the trick. May be worth trying to warm panel close to graphics first before the actual vinyl in this weather, the metal will retain the heat a little longer than the vinyl.(y)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I am afraid you have little chance to no chance at all
post a photo I my be able to help but if they have started to lift there will be dirt behind them and will never go back down if there only lifting slightly try and cut the bit that lift carefully with a scallpale knife to prevent the rest from lifting lose a bit to safe the rest you could try a lighter on the lifting section which will soften the glue and reactivate it but be very carful as to much heat will curl the graphic
agree with signworks, if its just the edges that's lifted carefully cut off as I have done recently.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

2075tom

Free Member
Nov 14, 2013
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2013
Pull them off and start again. I've just done that with my van and added £1000 to the look of it. There are dozens of graphics on eBay for less that £30.00 to £40.00.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back