Free Member
Oct 21, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
I currently use AOL as my landline broadband provider at a cost of £15 pm. Having just purchased a loptop, I want to convert to mobile broadband using a 3 dongle which is currently available at the same price with a 5gb limit.
Deal Summary

It seems like a no brainer, but I need reassurance before making the change. If I create a Hotmail account will I still be able to access this through pop/imap using Microsoft Outlook 2003?

I had thought of buying a dongle on pay as you go, but this seems to be an expensive way of proving that it will work on both my desktop and laptop PCs. I assume that I can use the same dongle to connect to both PCs but obviously not at the same time!

The 3 deal is available on either 18 or 24 month contract. Other than tieing myself in for longer, are there any advantages/disadvantages?

Is anyone aware of a better deal out there?

I know that many of these questions have been covered on other threads within the Web Connections forum but any reassurance/answers will be greatly appreciated.

Brian :helpsos:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

I am on AOL at home and connect my laptop using the AOL wireless connection and a router.

If you mainly use AOL at home, stick with what you have got frankly.

When I go down to Poole on the boat I use the wireless connection there at £10 a month unlimited useage.

Peter

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I use a "3" dongle, it's my only way to connect, it's much slower than broadband, if I were you I wouldn't give up my home broadband ..

typical speed for 3g is 350kb download.. 50-60 kb upload :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 22, 2008
Funster No
Hi I have a three pay and go Dongle, it cost £49 -99 to buy and top ups are £10- £15- or £25 monthly . The top ups last 30 days and the advantage for me is that as I go abroad a lot I can let the dongle die for up to a year and just top it back up when I want to start using it again, I usually top up £15 each time and it is perfect for my usage. It can be used abroad by getting it unlocked but I don't bother as I usually use a Hot Spot or Internet cafe.I no longer have a land line because we travel a lot so its perfect for me.The Dongle has a USB connection so can be used on any system.:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not a lot of use to you :ROFLMAO: but ANYTHING with AOL on it goes into the bin :ROFLMAO: not getting anywhere near my computer :ROFLMAO:
terry

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
A.o.l.

Hi

I too won`t touch AOL with the proverbial "barge-pole". I had an AOL account when we where it the USA, (2004) before I left I cancelled it. only to find that A YEAR LATER they where still debiting my Account (Barclays). That in spite of repeated (costly) transatlantic calls to advise them that I was No longer there!!! E-Mails, Faxes. Nothing worked. they took the cash. I told Barclays, Barclays pulled the cash back, the following month out went the cash!!! In the end, the ONLY way we could get rid was to CLOSE the account with Barclays!!!. This meant that Barclays shut down ALL access to our account(s). BEWARE the Direct debit, this can happen, especially in America, and especially with AOL!!!.

ALL reference to AOL has been removed from my Computers and they are on my "spam" list!!!

As for "3". I use a second hand Vodafone (unlocked) data card. with a "3" simcard (paygo) this I load with £5-00 per MONTH and get as much data use as I need. I have checked and it would seem that I get pretty much the same speeds as Jim was reporting. BUT NOT as fast as my Home Broadband. (all my posts over Xmas where done on it from Rowntree Park)

pete

Last edited:
OP
OP
Benwick Rambler

Benwick Rambler

Free Member
Oct 21, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Thanks to all who have expressed their views about AOL. I must say that I haven't had any problems, but perhaps this lies ahead of me, should I decide to cancel with them.
I'm a little surprised that ScotJimland has experienced such slow connection speeds with a dongle as I believed that most of the country was covered for 3G or HSPDA with a minimum of 1-1.5mps. Sadly, it seems as if I live in something of a blackspot with only 2G coverage (which doesn't support mobile broadband?). Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea after all.
Maybe I'll keep my landline broadband for the winter months when I'm at home and invest in a "pay as you go" dongle for when I'm touring the UK in the warmer months.

Brian

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
no your not likely to get problems with AOL with the ammount they charge. IMO having been with AOL years and years ago at the inception of home internet in to houses, AOL were very good, they were practically your only choice. If I were you I would consider otehr options for your 3g type broadband unless you have extremely good coverage in your home area. They are useful, very useful, but not that quick in a lot of areas, and in others non exestant so check your coverage out on their web site. Also consider the other mobile providers that are all doing some form of broadband service..

If you use the internet at home alot then I would still prefer a good provider, we are with sky, for TV phone calls and internet and must say it is very keenly priced and works excelent. I too think of getting a dongle when away, but as yet do not think the coverage is good enough to justify it, If I were to do it now I would take the pay as you go option so you are not tied in. Then if it works well for you , ebay the dongle and take out a contract.

Im not a sad o typing this new years eve, just at work.:ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I use a Vodaphone dongle on a contract and this works anywhere there is any sort of phone signal. It is quite slow if there is not 3G coverage but at least it still works (just need to be patient).
I understand that some other providers mobile connections only work on 3G which is not available everywhere (including most of Eastbourne)

Like some other members I would not touch AOL with a bargepole. This is probably historical as in the early days when AOL had a large share of the business they did not connect properly with the internet, could not use a 'proper' browser, and their software was difficult or impossible to remove from your computer without wrecking it.:Eeek:

OP
OP
Benwick Rambler

Benwick Rambler

Free Member
Oct 21, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Nearlyretired,

Thanks very much for your helpful advice. I went out today and bought a Vodafone dongle for £39 which included £15/1gb of credit. The good thing is that, unlike the 3 network, this credit isn't time limited but it will be lost if the dongle isn't used for more than 180 days (unlikely). Like you, where I live is something of a mobile telephony blackspot, but nevertheless, I was easily and quickly able to make an internet connection and whilst it clearly isn't as fast as my home landline broadband, it works well without too long a wait (about 20 secs to access bbc.co.uk). If I can find a 3G connection on my travels then I'll be more than pleased, but can make do with slower speeds. Overall, the Vodafone dongle is ideal for my needs as the intial purchase price includes 1gb of credit and it seems a fairly easy process to top-up. Time will tell whether paying £15 per 1gb (not time limited) is a better option than 3's package with an initial purchase price of £49 for their dongle and then £10 every 30 days for 1gb of credit, irrespective of whether you use it, or not.

Thanks again for the advice and I look forward to the benefits of internet access whilst touring the UK.

Brian ::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Find out what you will be charged per megabyte if you go over your limit. "Three" charge just 10p per mb over your limit, last I heard Vodafone were charging a whopping £17 a mb:Eeek:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Find out what you will be charged per megabyte if you go over your limit. "Three" charge just 10p per mb over your limit, last I heard Vodafone were charging a whopping £17 a mb:Eeek:

:Eeek::Eeek: Jim you could have told Brian that before :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Have you thought of changing from AOL to Talktalk as there is some form of partnership between these 2 companies with some suggestions that its the same home based broadband system (albeit I can't confirm that) but TalkTalk doesn't charge for the broadband service, so you could keep your home based broadband and use the dongle you have purchased just when you are away from home

hope that helps

Nearlyretired,

Thanks very much for your helpful advice. I went out today and bought a Vodafone dongle for £39 which included £15/1gb of credit. The good thing is that, unlike the 3 network, this credit isn't time limited but it will be lost if the dongle isn't used for more than 180 days (unlikely). Like you, where I live is something of a mobile telephony blackspot, but nevertheless, I was easily and quickly able to make an internet connection and whilst it clearly isn't as fast as my home landline broadband, it works well without too long a wait (about 20 secs to access bbc.co.uk). If I can find a 3G connection on my travels then I'll be more than pleased, but can make do with slower speeds. Overall, the Vodafone dongle is ideal for my needs as the intial purchase price includes 1gb of credit and it seems a fairly easy process to top-up. Time will tell whether paying £15 per 1gb (not time limited) is a better option than 3's package with an initial purchase price of £49 for their dongle and then £10 every 30 days for 1gb of credit, irrespective of whether you use it, or not.

Thanks again for the advice and I look forward to the benefits of internet access whilst touring the UK.

Brian ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Benwick Rambler

Benwick Rambler

Free Member
Oct 21, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Jim,

I think that you're referring to Vodafones "Monthly Pay Plan" the Ts & Cs for which are here: Link Removed

I'm on the TopUp & Go scheme which, I believe, will cut me off when I've used my 1gb allowance and I'll then need to buy another £15's worth to get on line again. Ts & Cs here: Link Removed

I hope that I'm right but I'll watch my usage as Vodafone provides a facility which allows users to see how much they have left.

Brian

OP
OP
Benwick Rambler

Benwick Rambler

Free Member
Oct 21, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Braunston,

Thanks for this. I'll look into the possible link between AOL & TalkTalk as, if what you say is correct, I could save on the monthly AOL broadband subscription.

Brian

OP
OP
Benwick Rambler

Benwick Rambler

Free Member
Oct 21, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Braunston,

I've had a look on TalkTalk's website and I can't get free broadband. If I went with them, I'd have to pay £6.49 for calls, £15 for broadband and £10.50 line rental - a total of £31.99pm. This is no better than my current arrangement with Post Office Homephone and AOL for broadband. Ideally, I'd like to bundle all of my requirements with a single supplier but I can't even do this with Sky (who provide my satellite connectivity). It seems that my BT exchange is somewhat antiquated and needs updating before I can take advantage of switching to an ISP other than AOL.

Thanks all the same. :thumb:

Brian

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Thats a pity, Still it was worth looking as it could have been a saving

Braunston,

I've had a look on TalkTalk's website and I can't get free broadband. If I went with them, I'd have to pay £6.49 for calls, £15 for broadband and £10.50 line rental - a total of £31.99pm. This is no better than my current arrangement with Post Office Homephone and AOL for broadband. Ideally, I'd like to bundle all of my requirements with a single supplier but I can't even do this with Sky (who provide my satellite connectivity). It seems that my BT exchange is somewhat antiquated and needs updating before I can take advantage of switching to an ISP other than AOL.

Thanks all the same. :thumb:

Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back