Rear window blind protectors (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Due to the fact that Mrs Jezport sleeps on pillows stacked up against the rear windows I needed these as a necessity.
Ive had a few prototype rear window protectors made in perspex over recent months.
Ive tried different thicknesses to get them as light as possible but strong enough to do the job.
We are taking the latest prototype away this weekend for testing, but I think that this is the one.
They will be made from laser cut perspex and will have velcro tape to attach to the frames.
I expect the price will be £50 for a pair.
I will report back next week.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I dissected a clothes horse £9 and used them as a frame to prevent the pillows creasing the blinds. I had thought of perspex sheets but apart from being expensive I considered you would not be able to open/close the window blinds and I like to be able to see out of my windows.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I dissected a clothes horse £9 and used them as a frame to prevent the pillows creasing the blinds. I had thought of perspex sheets but apart from being expensive I considered you would not be able to open/close the window blinds and I like to be able to see out of my windows.
We use velcro so they can be easily removed and replaced.
The perspex also gives you a benefit of triple glazing
I dont like the idea of bars on my windows, and as my wife sleeps up against the window it wouldnt work for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
What about using Polycarbonate not much dearer and very little change cracking it.
There are a few reasons. It is more expensive, it can't be laser cut as it lets off cyanide when burned/cut. Plus perspex is strong enough for this purpose.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ludo did this for his Globecar windows which worked well for him, however whilst we tried it for ours we weren't that keen as it meant that every time we wanted to open/close the blind or window we had to remove them which became a nuisance especially as our dogs like to stick their snouts out of the windows in a morning so we had to keep messing about trying to remove the large panel from the window at the foot of the bed and store it somewhere every morning ... far from ideal for us at least. Another concern is with the corner/bottom brackets on the framework for the blinds as the constant removing of the plastic 'screens' could cause cracking/splitting when you pull them off each time (ie daily) - from experience I know these are very poorly made and can crack and are having several of ours replaced under warranty (not just the ones which we had the plastic on I hasten to add) so if you intend to do this look to strengthen the corner joints first.

Instead we now have a couple of insulated pads on the 2 rear door windows (made from some old internal windscreen insulated covers) so give some insulation properties and also means we don't need to use the blinds at all if we don't want to. They work very well and are very easy to put on/take off - as they are slightly larger than the aperture they fit snugly between the window framework, they also mean that in the summer they cut out heat too and can be used with the windows open as they also jam between the 2 opening catches on the open window. On the one at the foot of the bed I made a simple removable 'bed board' from a shoe rack, similar to the ones I have on the windows at the front made from some drying racks, these can remain in place and allow the blinds to be opened and closed without the need to remove them and also mean that with the windows open they stop the dogs getting out!

If Jez's product meets your needs and you are unlikely to want to remove them very often then I can see them working well but for us a similar version simply didn't.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I response to MinxyGirl, we have used the prototypes for months and just pull the top away on the velcro to allow a hand down to open and close the blind. They dont need storing away as they are stored on the window.

John, Will do.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I response to MinxyGirl, we have used the prototypes for months and just pull the top away on the velcro to allow a hand down to open and close the blind. They dont need storing away as they are stored on the window.

John, Will do.
I was commenting about our need to remove them for our dogs to stick their snozzles out of the windows which is specific to us, hence my saying if there isn't a need for this they should work well for others, as I'm sure they do for Ludo who showed me his version of them originally.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just a thought Jez, you might find that Velcro doesn't work well, better to use the stuff that @ludo used, can't remember what it was but it was certainly far superior stuff.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We were away for a couple of nights, so we gave the covers a good test. Sue has slept with pillows propped up on it and Ive given it a good prodding and trial opening and closing blinds and fitting and removing.
The thickness is now perfect in my opinion. It is lightweight and flexible enough to peel down from the top or bottom it allow moving the pleated blinds without full removal of the covers.
2018-02-11 14.42.53.jpg
2018-02-11 14.43.01.jpg

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I can now supply these covers complete with strong velro strips.
The price is £50 plus post and packing for a pair for rear door windows as pictured above.
I can also have them custom made for any window.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We will be looking for something that protects the blinds but may only need halfway up the window so @jezport what thickness are you offering & if half size would this thickness still work & how much please? Would try with magnets so Velcro may not be needed.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If you use magnets it can let the screen move if the door is slammed. With the Velcro strips it will allow the screen to be fitted lower allowing a gap at the top or bottom if needed. You could use long lengths of magnetic strip but it's heavier and gives no advantage. I've tested all sorts of attachments over the last year and the hook and loop Velcro I now offer looks good and performs well.
I can have any size or thickness made, half height screens will need to be thicker as they would rely on the two sides for support.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Jez if its normal stick-on Velcro you could find that it will peel off in very hot weather (that's been our experience anyway) ... are you able to do some temperature testing?

I can't remember the stuff that @ludo recommended but this was much, much better than Velcro and you wouldn't need to have 2 full strips either.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Jez if its normal stick-on Velcro you could find that it will peel off in very hot weather (that's been our experience anyway) ... are you able to do some temperature testing?

I can't remember the stuff that @ludo recommended but this was much, much better than Velcro and you wouldn't need to have 2 full strips either.

The 2 full strips looks cosmetically better than small squares. When the rear doors are slammed there's quite a force to stop covers falling off.
I have tried them with a lot of heat from a fan heater and have tested in cold weather.
The secret with most adhesives is use enough and apply correctly. The 2 strips are enough and if the surfaces are clean and dry when applied they should be fine.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Thanks @jezport ,
Arrived safely and fit well. :)
I sleep head against these blinds in our 600L revolution and am aware my pillows rest against the blinds and I am at risk of damaging them, and the noise of the pillow on them wakes me up, so good job! :)
5F7CDE3E-A74B-4E28-B64A-A6B4F2F457CD.jpeg
55BF26CD-8CEE-42BF-A0FE-805BD86D98BE.jpeg

tw125

Free Member
May 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
I can now supply these covers complete with strong velro strips.
The price is £50 plus post and packing for a pair for rear door windows as pictured above.
I can also have them custom made for any window.
Can I order these if you're still doing them please?

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Hi, I have some in stock.
The price has gone up unfortunately. They are £80 if collected.
Or £90 inc P+P

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Last edited:
OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
It's easy to do s DIY version - lots of cut to size companies online who can do this & Velcro circles are a neat way of attaching (y) We use 5mm polycarbonate with rounded corners from https://www.cutmyplastic.co.uk/?gcl...cyQFjO7TUbmSBcNF--Z9BGk4xP_lJj-BoCqhIQAvD_BwE
Works out around the same price I sell them, and you have the risk of not getting the measurements correct or the corners to match the radius of the windows. Plus you need to get some good velcro that stays put in a hot or cold van.

You can also make your own motorhome from 3000kg of assorted metal plastic rubber silicone class and wood so why buy a Fiat?

tw125

Free Member
May 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
They sound/look great! How do you attach? Any info you can share on the materials etc?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back