Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As Peter say`s,,,, best get one...

I know if an attachment sticks out/protrudes further than the original vehicle build, then yes..

But not sure what the extra is..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Yeah thanks I'll get onto Johns cross and get them to post to me pronto. Was going to order online tonight but wanna make sure I get it in time.

Thanks for replying

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Last edited:
OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Yeah sorry should have put sign DOH

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
As Peter say`s,,,, best get one...

I know if an attachment sticks out/protrudes further than the original vehicle build, then yes..

But not sure what the extra is..

Anything more than 1m front or back, or 330mm either side.
Although trying telling that to Johnny Halfwit and his overloaded brat-transporter. Saw one last week, a 5 series BMW estate with 5 bikes hanging off the back - you couldn't clearly see much of his lights, or his number plate.

The Fiamma warning sign can be used in any country except Italy, where it has to be of metal construction.
Although the standard Fiamma sign feels very flimsy - could be correx

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
BUT !
As an aside you should now also carry TWO triangles !

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I am also of the understanding that you need 2 triangles. Not just Spain but generally across Europe. Don't know where I got it from and not sure if it is just a recommendation or if it is indeed a law. Anyway, I have 2 on board just in case.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Is it not 2 triangles and a Hi-Vis for everyone in the vehicle in Spain.

Seem to remember that from driving to Valencia during the volcanic eruption several years ago.

Hymie

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Requirements , Country by country here ..

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html

triangles in Spain .. also note spare tyre required..

• Spare tyre – and the equipment to change the tyre or a tyre repair kit.

•  Warning triangle - one warning triangle compulsory for foreign registered vehicles

but carrying two is recommended as, in an accident/breakdown situation; local officials may impose a fine if only one is produced. Not required for two wheeled vehicles.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
And a set of "Spare Bulbs" is not a legal requirement in Spain, Now.. (y)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
does Spain require a kitchen sink?
Spare tyre – and the equipment to change the tyre or a tyre repair kit.
ScotJimland, does this mean a repair kit without a spare is OK?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I ask because ours doesn't have a spare, just one of those inflators that injects a sealant - same as in our Audi - means you can keep travelling for a shortish distance at a lowish speed.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

An overhang is any part of the vehicle or accessory protruding beyond the centre line of the rear axle.

There is maximum limit of 60% of the vehicles wheelbase.

ie: a 3mtr wheelbase will allow a maximum of 2mtrs rearwards of the rear axle centre line.

That 2mtrs includes bodywork and any accessory such as a towbar or bike rack.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Or......

overhang
the distance measured horizontally and parallel to the longitudinal axis of a vehicle between two transverse planes passing through the following two points—

(a)
the rearmost point of the vehicle exclusive of—

(i)
any expanding or extensible contrivance forming part of a turntable fire escape fixed to a vehicle;

(ii)
in the case of a motor car constructed solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects and adapted to carry not more than eight passengers exclusive of the driver, any luggage carrier fitted to the vehicle; and

(b)
(i)
in the case of a motor vehicle having not more than three axles of which only one is not a steering axle, the centre point of that axle;

(ii)
in the case of a motor vehicle having three axles of which the front axle is the only steering axle and of a motor vehicle having four axles of which the two foremost are the only steering axles, a point 110 mm behind the centre of a straight line joining the centre points of the two rearmost axles; and

(iii)
in any other case a point situated on the longitudinal axis of the vehicle and such that a line drawn from it at right angles to that axis will pass through the centre of the minimum turning circle of the vehicle.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

If you have towbar/light board that extends for bikes, motorbike ,etc; then there is no requirement for a board.as when outit is classed as the end of the vehicle. Here in Spain any additions like that, as well as bike racks, tow bars, etc; are all itemised on the log book otherwise they are not legal.
Even for foreign vehicles any bike rack on a car requires a lighting board complete with number plates. Even if they do not obscure the lights from behind the definition of obscured is when you move 30º to one or other side. You now cannot see the far side lights, whereas with a lighting board & plate all is good.
I Spain ,legally, nothing can stick out behind,even on a roof rack, without a sign board.Nothing can stick out past the wing mirrors & they absloutely hate anything overhanging in front.
The only signage board that is legal in Spain is a metal or aluminium one.This is due to degradation due to the sun of other materials. Normally they don't worry if you have a plastic one as anything is better than nothing , but if you get a jobsworth trafico then he will book you.
Triangle's. 2 are required in Spain ; it may say one's ok for foreigners but there are specific distances that the triangles must be placed when broken down & these differ depending on what type of road you are on. When on a single lane 2 direction road one has to be placed 50m behind & the other 50m in front !

The list of of obscure offences that can be dragged up is endless.:LOL:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
If I remember correctly in Spain you need two triangles on single carriageway one placed 20 metres front and rear on dual carriageway one placed 20 metres and one 40 metres at rear

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back