Rear View Video Camera System (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We have a factory fitted reversing camera, thinking of fitting a mirror mounted monitor and rear viewing camera to see what's going on behind when driving. Anyone done this and have any recommendations there is a bewildering assortment on Ebay. Preferred camera fitting option would be in the spare wheel housing and leading cables under and along chassis into cab.

Thanks in advance

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Do you only get an image from the camera when in reverse gear in AV1 mode? Do you get any image if you select AV2 regardless of gear selection? Our old (standard) AT Tracker does...

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Image only in reverse, restricted downward view showing back of vehicle and rearward a a couple of metres.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Yes much the same as our previous van a Tracker. Ideal solution would be to remove the bonded housing (sikaflexed) cut another hole for an additional rearward viewing camera, removal of this housing is difficult without damage or breakage. Going this route would also entail drilling van back panel and feeding cables to cab area. This would entail a lot of work internally to strip out fittings etc to feed cable through hence my thoughts of mounting camera lower and routing cables along chassis (several existing cable runs already along chassis so would be a straightforward job attaching to and following these)
An additional monitor would be required so as not to lose the functionality of the fitted media unit (sat nav, radio etc ) hence the thought of fitting a mirror mounted unit as fitted by other manufacturers (Elddis etc)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
I bought one of these as recommended on here.

I wired it via a fused switch on the dash so it works when parked up at night & whilst driving to check the bikes etc are all ok (for non drivers):D

Works really well very easy to set up with lots of camera / monitor options.
I didn't use the wireless kit so could have done it cheaper(y)
image.jpg

The seller is yes4all on eBay
Approx £50

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We have a factory fitted reversing camera, thinking of fitting a mirror mounted monitor and rear viewing camera to see what's going on behind when driving. Anyone done this and have any recommendations there is a bewildering assortment on Ebay. Preferred camera fitting option would be in the spare wheel housing and leading cables under and along chassis into cab.

Thanks in advance

Yes much the same as our previous van a Tracker. Ideal solution would be to remove the bonded housing (sikaflexed) cut another hole for an additional rearward viewing camera, removal of this housing is difficult without damage or breakage. Going this route would also entail drilling van back panel and feeding cables to cab area. This would entail a lot of work internally to strip out fittings etc to feed cable through hence my thoughts of mounting camera lower and routing cables along chassis (several existing cable runs already along chassis so would be a straightforward job attaching to and following these)
An additional monitor would be required so as not to lose the functionality of the fitted media unit (sat nav, radio etc ) hence the thought of fitting a mirror mounted unit as fitted by other manufacturers (Elddis etc)

Really interested in the responses you get as I am \ was thinking of doing exactly the same.

Had the spare wheel cover panel off a week or two ago to have a look see. First thoughts were do I go for one of the bullet type cameras (like this Broken Link Removed), remove the Autotrail badge and fit it in the centre of the cover panel or go for a bracket type camera (like this Broken Link Removed) bolted through the cover panel?

One of the issues \ questions I think I may have is as the cover panel is pretty flexible does it vibrate when travelling and could the impact the picture quality? Wife wasn't too happy when I said she'd be clinging on the back to check next time out!:eek:

Given that potential issue I've also started to think about a number plate mounted camera (like this Broken Link Removed). One benefit of this one, assuming it will not obscure the number plate lights, is that could potentially use the existing hole for the number plate lights for the camera cables or the hole would be through the valance panel only. A downside is, of course, it's even lower positioned than the cover panel.

Those examples I've included are just that, examples, as further investigation would be done once I've made up my mind.

Routing the cable along the chassis seems to be, as you say, straightforward. Have you given any thought as yet as to how you would route this through the floor and up to the mirror mounted monitor?:unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Yo Gellyneck and thanks for the input. Must admit had not thought of the possible problems re vibration if mounted on wheel cover. Have reservations about mounting low down just above number plate field of view will be very restricted. Still leaning toward rear wheel cover as high as possible with maybe a darkish small graphic around it to help it "blend"

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Update, went with the flush fitting camera in rear wheel cover and a clip on monitor. Finished this afternoon and well chuffed with the result. The camera and monitor were supplied by my dealer eventually after some bargaining for just less than £40. Could have purchased same/similar on Ebay for £30-£40 so dealer option was a no brainer in case of any problems ie warranties on camera and monitor. Combined 10m video and power cable purchased on Ebay. If anyone is interested will do a blow by blow account illustrated with photo's. Used a graphic to disguise the camera a bit.
Photo 1 Rear wheel cover drilled ready to take camera
Photo 2 Base of wheel cover scalloped out to accommodate cable
Photo 3 Small sunflower graphic with camera in centre
Photo 4 on/off switch I decided to take power from vehicle battery fused (2amp) and switched'

There is enough spare cable to allow dismounting of cover and access for removal of spare wheel. There are also connectors in housing which will allow complete disconnection of cables if required.

Attachments

• IMG_2656.JPG
    IMG_2656.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2657.JPG
    IMG_2657.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2662.JPG
    IMG_2662.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2655.JPG
    IMG_2655.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 75

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Like it!
I must remember to have a prat with mine this weekend.
It's a Ring camera & monitor and I'm sure that it only operates when the ignition is on and in reverse. Not sure that I can select to use it as a rear view without being in reverse.
From memory, one of the buttons allows the image to be moved slightly.
But having the facility to flick between a reverse or rear view would be great.
So thanks for posting (and reposting) as this is now on my list!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Update, went with the flush fitting camera in rear wheel cover and a clip on monitor. Finished this afternoon and well chuffed with the result. The camera and monitor were supplied by my dealer eventually after some bargaining for just less than £40. Could have purchased same/similar on Ebay for £30-£40 so dealer option was a no brainer in case of any problems ie warranties on camera and monitor. Combined 10m video and power cable purchased on Ebay. If anyone is interested will do a blow by blow account illustrated with photo's. Used a graphic to disguise the camera a bit.
Photo 1 Rear wheel cover drilled ready to take camera
Photo 2 Base of wheel cover scalloped out to accommodate cable
Photo 3 Small sunflower graphic with camera in centre
Photo 4 on/off switch I decided to take power from vehicle battery fused (2amp) and switched'

There is enough spare cable to allow dismounting of cover and access for removal of spare wheel. There are also connectors in housing which will allow complete disconnection of cables if required.

Looks a great job.(y)
As said previously, have been considering similar but not had the time as yet (family illness). That and in process of converting the space under the travelling seats into drawers when I've got a spare minute.
Looking at your photos I see the cabling is exiting through the scallop in the bottom of the wheel cover.
How did you route it after that? Was it over the rear valance panel or, more likely, in through the top and behind it?
How did you then route the cabling into the cab and up to your clip on monitor (mirror I assume)?
Appreciate your advice.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
As promised photos and info on my method of installing, lot of pics so will need to spread over a few posts. Cable routed as you guessed in through top of valance panel, hole diameter 14mm to allow rca plug to pass through. I started at the rear and allowed about 30 inches of spare so cover can be dismounted, obviously camera connectors are also in here to allow complete disconnection if cover needs to be moved away from vehicle. (The black strip is self adhesive draft remover to stop bottom of cover fretting on valance (as it was doing) The black rectangular patch again fitted after taking delivery of van is self adhesive velcro (the soft side, eyes is it called? which the tyre sits on again preventing fretting and discoloration.) See photo 1.
Photo 2 Under the valance,I had to Araldite a piece of half round hardwood to prevent any cable chaffing on the sharp corner of the garage floor and also wrapped additional protective tape around cable.
Photo 3 Used existing cable runs and p-clamps to route cable with small cable ties between.
Photo 4 routed over fw tank (bit of a fiddle, stiff garden wire and perseverance is the answer.
IMG_2649.JPG
IMG_2698.JPG
IMG_2652.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG
IMG_2649.JPG
IMG_2698.JPG
IMG_2652.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG
IMG_2649.JPG
IMG_2698.JPG
IMG_2652.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Cable then routed along side of grey water tank again following existing run, photo 1
Photo 2 Remove small black cover next to floor mounted fusebox behind drivers seat
Photo 3, had to drill into the cab floor (14mm using a step drill to accommodate plug diameter ) It is about 12-13mm in front of existing hole which is for inverter supply and alarm cabling. Again a fitted a split gromit to avoid cable chafe then used a non setting mastic
IMG_2665.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG
IMG_2669.JPG
IMG_2674.JPG

over the entire area to keep the weather out. Sorry about this masking the 2 separate holes. This brings the cable into the small void space outboard of the small floor mounted fuse panel behind drivers seat.
Photo 4 remove screws holding in place drivers side step this allows it to be lifted slightly gaining access to the clip in cable conduit carrying cables to dashboard and fit video cable into it.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Photo 1 remove vertical trim (3 screws one on side near top out of sight!)
Photo 2 I decided on the easy mounting option for isolating rocker switch after removing trim below steering wheel. This is held in place by a single torx screw (missing on my vehicle?)
Photo 3 Once torx screw removed a firm pull at top either side unclips it and pivots on 3 bottom locating prongs (Photo 4)
IMG_2675.JPG
IMG_2676.JPG
IMG_2677.JPG
IMG_2678.JPG
IMG_2676.JPG
IMG_2677.JPG
IMG_2678.JPG
which allow it to be lifted out for access and drilling

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Routing the cable for the mirror mounted monitor was very easy and straightforward, unloosen one plastic screw in upper guide for windscreen internal blind, this allows cable to be pushed in above roof lining photo 1.
Photo 2 cable can be routed and pushed in behind blind vertical trim.
Photo 3 push cable down side of dash housing under rubber trim (I used end of a plastic ruler) then down and into exposed cavity allowing connection to camera power and rca plugs. The 12v supply I routed behind glove box following other cable and down under carpet into vehicle battery box, 2 amp inline fuse used and terminal crimps onto spare +ve and -ve battery post studs. I soldered pos and neg supply cables for camera and monitor together (insulated using shrink wrap ) pos after switch. (Terminal block could also be used)
IMG_2679.JPG
IMG_2680.JPG
IMG_2681.JPG

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@Stewart J Brilliant info!(y)
Will digest in greater detail when next at motorhome storage.
Many thanks for taking time to post in this detail.(y)
Cheers

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Not sure why or how some of the photos have duplicated themselves in my posts, apologies if causing any confusion.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Not sure why or how some of the photos have duplicated themselves in my posts, apologies if causing any confusion.
Bug**r! Does that mean I don't need to run the wires two or three times then?:unsure:
Please tell me I've got that wrong as it will mean I've got a lot of stripping back out again if not!;):giggle:

Too wet here today to have a look see but once it dies down to a monsoon ...............

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Don't know what MH you have but I've recently replaced the single camera installed on our Bessacar with a twin camera to provide the desired rear view and maintain the downward view for close up reversing and trailer hitching.
I removed the installed camera which is behind a trim panel held on with the high level stoplight fixing screws and a couple of bits of velcro.
A bit of judicious cutting allowed the twin camera to be fitted behind this trim.
The factory installation uses a six core cable with mini-din plugs on each end, two cores carry the power, one the video and one the screen for the single camera this leaves 2 unused cores; I manufactured adaptors to go on each end to accommodate the different connectors and to provide video and screen connections for the second camera. At the cab end the adaptors allowed me to connect to the mirror mounted display and the job was done.
I liked this approach because it saved me having to run cables from front to rear of the van.
On reflection, if I were to do the job again I wouldn't bother making the adaptors,they are tiny and the soldering involved was a pain!! It would be much easier to cut off the mini-din plugs and use a sensible connector.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
First real run out of 70 miles on varied roads, no vibration issues, camera image rock steady Gellyneck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back